Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Barclays in Hove closing, replacing it with Banking Van parked in graveyard

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Storrington Barclays closed last year. Pain in the arse for those who put cash in but mostly SERVICE has gone.

Mrs Jakarta had an attempted scam on her Account which the staff at Storrington sorted out straight away, doubt if it would happen now.
There hasn't been any bank in Newhaven for years. I had a problem with a direct debit, that I rang Barclays about. It was sorted out within hours over the phone.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
It's a great shame to see the demise of the banking presence on the High St.

Through acting as executor and Power of Attorney, I've had to call at different branches of HSBC, Santander, Lloyd's and NatWest over the last couple of years.

Without exception, the standard of service I've received has been excellent. Online banking can be convenient; but there are circumstances when there is no substitute for sitting down face to face with a human.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is a Nationwide just around the corner, who have promised to keep their branches open until at least 2026 https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/branch-promise/

And if enough people dump Barclays and the other banks closing their branches and move to providers keeping them open, maybe they'll get the message.
Nationwide I use for all my banking. Building Society answerable to its members.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nationwide I use for all my banking. Building Society answerable to its members.
Any profits go back to members. In February & March of this year, 5% of supermarket shopping was paid back into the Flex account, and in April those who had a current acc and a savings account got £100 paid in.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
There is a clothing repair shop in Shoreham that is cash only also a pub I frequent it is cash for anything under £5.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
There hasn't been any bank in Newhaven for years. I had a problem with a direct debit, that I rang Barclays about. It was sorted out within hours over the phone.

Mrs Jakarta had the scam issue solved in minutes rather than hours and was given advice there and then as to how to prevent it happening again.

As previously posted SERVICE.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Any profits go back to members. In February & March of this year, 5% of supermarket shopping was paid back into the Flex account, and in April those who had a current acc and a savings account got £100 paid in.
Yeah, I got £100 this year. Didn't expect that. I wondered what the little credits were.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is it just me who thinks the manager in that advert has a passing resemblance to Farage?
Well. I guess they needed to find a template .... someone odious, arrogant and utterly repellent ... in order to set the audience against him in such a short space of time.

I can’t think of a more obvious candidate can you?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Never forget. You and I paid for these businesses to survive when they were up s*** creek. At not insignificant risk did we underwrite their survival. They are now making billions of pounds profits, so in my mind, they can bloody well keep a community presence as far as I’m concerned.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mrs Jakarta had the scam issue solved in minutes rather than hours and was given advice there and then as to how to prevent it happening again.

As previously posted SERVICE.
Blimey, do you live next door to the bank?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Never forget. You and I paid for these businesses to survive when they were up s*** creek. At not insignificant risk did we underwrite their survival. They are now making billions of pounds profits, so in my mind, they can bloody well keep a community presence as far as I’m concerned.
The Nationwide is still a mutual building society that trades as a bank. There are no profits and it wasn't bailed out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg

Not to mention that the graveyard is crawling with homeless heroin and crack addicts day and night.

A really unpleasant area, not least for the old dears that will be having to queue amongst them, getting harassed for spare change.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Genuinely interested what services your bank offers in branch but not online?
More security, a sense of value for customers, the ability to actually speak to a human being...(gasp!) 'in person!'.
The lack of a need to understand smart phones etc,.
You need more? Maybe you don't, but many folk do.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It's quite possible to do all banking digitally if you want to, and are with a bank with decent app/online services. I haven't been into a bank for well over 5 years, and my current bank is app-only and doesn't have any branches. Never had an issue, and have been able to pay in cash/cheques on the one or two occasions I've needed to in the last 5 years without visiting a branch.

Ultimately a bank is a business and if keeping a branch open isn't cost effective, they'll close it. They don't have an obligation to keep them open just because some people don't want to - or can't - bank digitally. They may lose some of those customers, but I expect they've worked out they'll benefit overall.
Good for you, but I'm afraid that there any many, many people who do not wish to, or want to bank online.
You mention the cost-effectiveness of keeping branches open - I call 'bollocks'.
Given the profits that are generally made, there is zero excuse for not keeping a few branches open in towns, to make banking available for all.
It's a decision based upon greed...and further greed, and I feel for those who will now lack the availabilty to pop in and see a person, should they choose to do so.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Good for you, but I'm afraid that there any many, many people who do not wish to, or want to bank online.
You mention the cost-effectiveness of keeping branches open - I call 'bollocks'.
Given the profits that are generally made, there is zero excuse for not keeping a few branches open in towns, to make banking available for all.
It's a decision based upon greed...and further greed, and I feel for those who will now lack the availabilty to pop in and see a person, should they choose to do so.
I fully understand that some still want to bank on the high street, my point is that banks are private companies and it's up to them whether they continue to trade on the high street or not. They're not a public service, so - from their point of view - why should they retain high street banks if they can maintain their profits without them?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I fully understand that some still want to bank on the high street, my point is that banks are private companies and it's up to them whether they continue to trade on the high street or not. They're not a public service, so - from their point of view - why should they retain high street banks if they can maintain their profits without them?

They took public money to bail them out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here