Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Barclays in Hove closing, replacing it with Banking Van parked in graveyard

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg
One word for modern banks, scumbags!

Edit I would say you could say the same about the West Indian food truck parked there stinking the place out 😂

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One word for modern banks, scumbags!

Edit I would say you could say the same about the West Indian food truck parked there stinking the place out 😂
I won't have that, it serves fantastic food. I recommend the stewed chicken with rice and peas.

On the subject of Barclays in George Street, I recall one of their drones explaining the workings of their self-service machines to Mrs Not Andy Naylor in a highly condescending manner, and then smirking when Mrs NAN said 'You realise this will put you out of a job one day?' Karma's a bitch, as they say.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Lloyds in Boundary Road closed down recently as well. In fairness, its once in a blue moon I actually go into a bank (on the rare occasion someone who is still living in 1987 sends me a cheque). Online banking all the way for me, although I appreciate a lot of the wrinklies aren't as up to speed with it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, online banking is useful. But bank branches are still busy and not just with the elderly. You go in and you generally have to queue. You can't do everything online

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Lloyds in Boundary Road closed down recently as well. In fairness, its once in a blue moon I actually go into a bank (on the rare occasion someone who is still living in 1987 sends me a cheque). Online banking all the way for me, although I appreciate a lot of the wrinklies aren't as up to speed with it.
Wrinklies know they can pay in cheques to their bank accounts at their local post office, but wrinklies do also have smart phones to take photos of any cheques they may receive.

As has already been said, Nationwide are making a big thing of keeping their branches open and their Flex account is as good a current account as any, if not better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This. I was initially quite sad that the cashpoint had gone, there's a couple of small traders on Boundary / Station Rd I like to pay in cash and the barn at The Swan only takes cash. But that, and my annual visit to pay in the cheque my dad sends at Christmas were the only times I used it. No wonder they closed it.

It has given four more local parking spaces as well, though that won't last. If Lickle More want to relocate there I'd me more than happy :drool:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wrinklies know they can pay in cheques to their bank accounts at their local post office, but wrinklies do also have smart phones to take photos of any cheques they may receive.

As has already been said, Nationwide are making a big thing of keeping their branches open and their Flex account is as good a current account as any, if not better.
My parents don't have smart phones, they point blank refuse to upgrade from their old dumb-phones cos they "don't want anything complicated". :rolleyes:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This. I was initially quite sad that the cashpoint had gone, there's a couple of small traders on Boundary / Station Rd I like to pay in cash and the barn at The Swan only takes cash. But that, and my annual visit to pay in the cheque my dad sends at Christmas were the only times I used it. No wonder they closed it.

It has given four more local parking spaces as well, though that won't last. If Lickle More want to relocate there I'd me more than happy :drool:
Its starting to become a struggle to find cashpoints now innit. Now that Barclays and Lloyds have copped off from Southwick Square, the only cashpoint there is at the Co-Op, and its a bit of a shonky one at that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Its starting to become a struggle to find cashpoints now innit. Now that Barclays and Lloyds have copped off from Southwick Square, the only cashpoint there is at the Co-Op, and its a bit of a shonky one at that.
As is the one outside my local Co-Op, (it's the only gay, l mean ATM in the village), it's either out of action because it's been ram raided, or stuffed full of glue by local kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here