Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Barclays in Hove closing, replacing it with Banking Van parked in graveyard

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. There is currently an advert for Nationwide (I think) where the manager wants to close the banking hall and says everyone banks on-line anyway these days. The sidekick says something like: "What about people who've lost all their life savings to scammers?" The manager dismisses it by saying "That's what chatbots are for." (Sadly though the last few times I've seen the ad it seems to be an edited version which misses that bit out and just jumps straight to some irrelevant comment about an ex-wife - it was probably too true for comfort even for Nationwide).

I completely accept the argument that 95% plus can be done on-line, even by us oldies. However the thing is sometimes you DO need one-to-one interaction, to be able to talk to someone. And I don't just mean some drone in a call centre (assuming you can get through). Shared banking hubs are probably the way forward.

I have found a massive improvement in call centres in the last couple of years. Even when I'm talking to 'Susan' in New Delhi. If I get poor service (bank, electricity, whatever) I switch. That said I have been with my 'bank' for nearly 50 years (it used to be The Alliance) so it can't be too bad. Mind you, when the branches in Ashford, Canterbury and Victoria Street all closed I was Very Cross for a bit. But.....that was a few years ago. I struggle now to raise an eyebrow.

Sticking a van in a church yard is f***ing amateur hour, though. Embarrassing. If they are offering customers flu and Covid jabs while they wait, and perhaps a library book exchange and somewhere warm for the old and lonely to sit for a bit, perhaps with the offer of a cuppa and a chocky bicky, it would be a bit less wanky.

Barclays always were shite, though; famously investing in Apartheid South Africa. Happy to see their van on fire.

Reactions: cjd

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I worked in the States my company still paid expenses by check (another word the Yanks get wrong) so I had to take them into my local Citibank branch. I always did it on a Friday because they gave customers coffee and donuts - miss that bank

el punal

The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg
F*** me! It even looks like a hearse. Probably the first time I’ve ever seen a POTG for a funeral.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
The most famous person buried in that graveyard is Sir George Everest, after whom Mount Everest was named:

Sir George Everest, CB, FRS, FRAS, FRGS was a British surveyor and geographer who served as Surveyor General of India from 1830 to 1843. After receiving a military education in Marlow, Everest joined the East India Company and arrived in India at the age of 16.
Born: 4 July 1790, Crickhowell
Died: 1 December 1866, London
Place of burial: St Andrew's Church, Hove
Quick thread drift.

George Everest preferred his surname to be pronounced 'Eee-verest'. He was apparently irritated for the remainder of his life after the mountain was named in his honour, and everyone called it 'Ever-est'.

I don't believe he had any association with the double-glazing firm who used Ted Moult in their adverts during the 1980s.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Last time I went to my local Barclays (Nantwich) was to deposit a carrier bag full of 1p and 2p pieces to my account.
Astonished to find it had turned into a bar. Walked out 20 minutes later, a few £s less in money, and a few lbs less in weight. Nice place.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last time I went to my local Barclays (Nantwich) was to deposit a carrier bag full of 1p and 2p pieces to my account.
Astonished to find it had turned into a bar. Walked out 20 minutes later, a few £s less in money, and a few lbs less in weight. Nice place.
Did you pay for your beer with the pennies...?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes, online banking is useful. But bank branches are still busy and not just with the elderly. You go in and you generally have to queue. You can't do everything online
Indeed. I haven't found a way to pay cash into my account online yet.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Storrington Barclays closed last year. Pain in the arse for those who put cash in but mostly SERVICE has gone.

Mrs Jakarta had an attempted scam on her Account which the staff at Storrington sorted out straight away, doubt if it would happen now.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg
At least you have a van.

Better than anything round here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was a time when Jesus threw the moneylenders out of the temple.

It looks like they're back.

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, and said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Storrington Barclays closed last year. Pain in the arse for those who put cash in but mostly SERVICE has gone.

Mrs Jakarta had an attempted scam on her Account which the staff at Storrington sorted out straight away, doubt if it would happen now.
Barclays used to have an online messaging service and I believe even that got scrapped.

Another sneaky trick - I have a Barclaycard and although I manage it mostly on the app on my phone I do like to get a paper statement too (for a variety of reasons I won’t list here). They have now introduced a page on the app saying that if you progress past this page you are accepting to have online statements only, and you can always change it back again if you want to. So now I can’t use the app, because I don’t agree to that change, and I strongly suspect that changing it back again will not be straightforward as it’s opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

I do still use the www account on the iPad because it hasn’t (yet) got that same message to scroll past. I have found this to be more than annoying, I am well aware of the fact that I can get online statements only, and keep being asked this multiple times a year, yet now they are seemingly forcing this change whether you like it or not.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

17489189.jpg
This is a metaphor for the state of the UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess demand has dropped now that no one has any money,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There was a time when Jesus threw the moneylenders out of the temple.

It looks like they're back.

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, and said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."
Moneychangers. Ordinary money couldn't be used for the Temple tax, so people had to change their contributions , but the moneychangers charged a commission.
It was also inside the Temple, not outside.

As you were.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
The Lloyds in Boundary Road closed down recently as well. In fairness, its once in a blue moon I actually go into a bank (on the rare occasion someone who is still living in 1987 sends me a cheque). Online banking all the way for me, although I appreciate a lot of the wrinklies aren't as up to speed with it.
Yep - Lloyds gone leaving no bank or building society in Station Road/Boundary Road. I was told by Lloyds I could bank in the Post Office - have you seen the queues in the Post Office ? - that's also closing and being stuffed in the corner of a convenience store near the Station.

I only moved to Lloyds as HSBC closed in Portslade to move to Hove , which has now closed and gone to Brighton !!!

I can online bank but my elderly parents can't along with many others who rely on face to face banking for a variety of reasons. And we bailed the banks out !!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. There is currently an advert for Nationwide (I think) where the manager wants to close the banking hall and says everyone banks on-line anyway these days. The sidekick says something like: "What about people who've lost all their life savings to scammers?" The manager dismisses it by saying "That's what chatbots are for." (Sadly though the last few times I've seen the ad it seems to be an edited version which misses that bit out and just jumps straight to some irrelevant comment about an ex-wife - it was probably too true for comfort even for Nationwide).

I completely accept the argument that 95% plus can be done on-line, even by us oldies. However the thing is sometimes you DO need one-to-one interaction, to be able to talk to someone. And I don't just mean some drone in a call centre (assuming you can get through). Shared banking hubs are probably the way forward.
Is it just me who thinks the manager in that advert has a passing resemblance to Farage?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here