Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Barclays in Hove closing, replacing it with Banking Van parked in graveyard

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I use contactless (which is limited) and never use telephone banking. I don't need it, so why do it?
When I make purchases I always use a credit card, rather than a debit card.
If I want to talk to an advisor, I go to a branch.
There’s no real fraud risk/prevention difference between debit and credit cards…….only consumer protection (section 75 vs chargeback).
Personally couldn’t live without online banking - instant access to info, ability to move money globally at a touch, set up and cancel standing orders, change savings accounts etc etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why Santander out of interest and I bank with them.

Santander are fine until you actually want to talk them then it seems to go rapidly down hill.
No idea why……..just something I read (in reality I doubt their processes are materially different to any other).
Think most banks are annoyingly inaccessible now - in part deliberate to encourage more people online of course :smile: Can’t remember the last time I spoke to someone either in a branch or at a call centre, but do know complain levels were always pretty high when I worked in banking (maybe changed in the last 3 years, but possibly not improved)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
There’s no real fraud risk/prevention difference between debit and credit cards…….only consumer protection (section 75 vs chargeback).
Personally couldn’t live without online banking - instant access to info, ability to move money globally at a touch, set up and cancel standing orders, change savings accounts etc etc.
Consumer protection is fine for me, and as for moving money etc...I don't have a need to do so, but if you do....that's great. :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Genuinely interested what services your bank offers in branch but not online?
I sold a property via probate. Needed to be split three ways - couldn't do the tranfers online because they were too big. Lloyds insisted I had to go to a branch. Sure there's more examples.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I sold a property via probate. Needed to be split three ways - couldn't do the tranfers online because they were too big. Lloyds insisted I had to go to a branch. Sure there's more examples.
Anything ‘non-standard’ usually…….that’s a good example, also things like setting up new accounts (particularly if joint, or for things like clubs, societies and trusts where multiple signatures are needed), notifying of the death of an account holder etc etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That’s LLoyds.

No problem when my sister in law split mother in law’s estate. Simple bank transfers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s LLoyds.

No problem when my sister in law split mother in law’s estate. Simple bank transfers.
Most banks seem to have transaction limits of 25k (including Lloyds) for personal online transactions…….some allow multiples of that up to a higher daily total, or allow higher payments if the recipient is ’established’ on your account already….

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The Lloyds in Boundary Road closed down recently as well. In fairness, its once in a blue moon I actually go into a bank (on the rare occasion someone who is still living in 1987 sends me a cheque). Online banking all the way for me, although I appreciate a lot of the wrinklies aren't as up to speed with it.
I went there yesterday to pay some cash in. I can understand why they've done it, but the couple of cashiers left were lovely. I hope they've been moved elsewhere ???

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm disappointed. My dog likes coming in there with me while I launder my cash

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They're hardly complicated, just delete all the apps they're never going to use.

As for a bank, if they find a smart phone intimidating surely you're not going to let them go to a bank to discuss their finances on their own? (apologies if that sounds condescending, it's not meant to be).

Honestly can't remember the last time I went into a bank. I'm self employed and if I do get paid in cash then it gets paid in at the post office. Cheques (what's one of those!!) I can pay in on my phone. If I need anything else I can ring them.
Yeah. YOU try telling them that.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg
should imagine a few more elderly customers will feel very unsafe standing around a dark graveyard and then walking back out with the few quid they’ve just drawn out for their weeks shopping.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
should imagine a few more elderly customers will feel very unsafe standing around a dark graveyard and then walking back out with the few quid they’ve just drawn out for their weeks shopping.
Indeed. It is like some kind of parody / satire about the banking industry. I'm not sure you could come up with a more ridiculous 'solution' if you were genuinely trying to take the piss out of your customers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you make multiple transfers? We had to move a large sum from the UK to Germany and there were limits so we just increased the daily limit to the max and made daily transfers.

It took over a week, not ideal, but all things considered was the easiest thing…..we were also on holiday at the time….first thing we did over breakfast was move the cash.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Elderly customers tend to do their shopping in the daylight and banks, whether mobile or not, close at 4pm, so I doubt anyone would be standing around in a dark graveyard, except the tramps.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most banks seem to have transaction limits of 25k (including Lloyds) for personal online transactions…….some allow multiples of that up to a higher daily total, or allow higher payments if the recipient is ’established’ on your account already….
Barclays is £50K. I knew there wasn’t a limit of £25K from a probate account. Maybe that’s just Lloyds?

mile oak

May 21, 2023
The branch on George St/Church Rd is closing from this Friday and they're genuinely replacing it with a "mobile bank" parked in the graveyard of St Andrews Chruch.

I don't know where to start. FFS! The last financial quarter they posted an £8billion profit, 13% up from the same quarter last year, yet now they expect customers to wait in the rain (most likely) during the once a week visits to sit in a van and discuss their finances?! Not to mention how disrespectful it is to people with loved ones buried there.

17489189.jpg
What looks like an April Fool is actually happening. Sad reflection on 'progress' in a digital world

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I completely get that there is a generational split in the need for bank branches to be open and available and for many the access to cash is still necessary but the need for them for the majority is becoming less and less. I genuinely don't think I've been into a physical bank in a decade now as I've been able to deal with any issues quickly and efficiently over the phone and have a Monzo account for abroad spending.

On the trip to Athens I didn't touch a single bit of cash. Everywhere, from street seller to restaurant, dealt in card and it was an absolute ease (just knowing how much you've spent in £ as you pay is fab). The world is moving away from banks needing to be physical, and to some extent, providing they have an adequate digital customer service the argument for them is only really about legacy rather than need.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
If only the banks could get together and serve everyone like the mobile phone masts get shared. One bank in town serving Barclays Lloyds NatWest and all the others i.e. hubs as mentioned earlier in this thread

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here