[Albion] Atmosphere at the Amex comfortably the worst in the league

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
This old chestnut. I think the atmosphere at the Amex is fine and compares well to most places that we visit.

One thing I will say, is that the acoustics of the stadium are slightly weird and the North Stand is quite hard to hear from the South of the stadium in my experience. I'm in the WSU and the atmosphere is fine and I can hear both the North and South stands very well. Atmosphere in the WSU has been a little more subdued this season but it's still pretty good.

As for Palace we really only heard them after the disallowed goal and their joke of an equaliser. Poor effort from them to say the least.
Acoustics - good point !

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I went to see Werder Bremen v Eintracht Frankfurt in August. I was in the main singing section of the North Stand equivalent.

Match finished 3-4. The visitors took the lead after 45 seconds. The noise generated by the home support, complete with three megaphone bearers down at the front, continued unabated and entirely divorced from what was happening on the pitch. The same identical noise continued for the remaining 90 minutes, despite the fact that a veritable ding dong was playing out on the pitch.

It's an impressive spectacle in its own way and I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. However, I much preferred the "organic" feel of match day support back home. We all know the Amex can be quiet a lot of the time but when the team and supporters both show up, there's just no substitute.

Jimmy Grimble

Couldn't believe how quiet it was at Selhurst. Didn't hear a peep until our goal was disallowed.
Agreed. Palace fans have no leg to stand on based on Saturday. That was the worst home atmosphere I’ve seen all season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I suppose he could be right, although we are quite noisy sometimes, like our game against Chelsea. Our away support is pretty good though.

That said your friend is a palace fan so it’s probably quite difficult for him to be objective, especially since we’ve just given them yet another footballing lesson and not one of their players would get on our bench let alone the team, because they’re all really shit.
I thought their goalie was quite good.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I went to see Werder Bremen v Eintracht Frankfurt in August. I was in the main singing section of the North Stand equivalent.

Match finished 3-4. The visitors took the lead after 45 seconds. The noise generated by the home support, complete with three megaphone bearers down at the front, continued unabated and entirely divorced from what was happening on the pitch. The same identical noise continued for the remaining 90 minutes, despite the fact that a veritable ding dong was playing out on the pitch.

It's an impressive spectacle in its own way and I thoroughly enjoyed my day out. However, I much preferred the "organic" feel of match day support back home. We all know the Amex can be quiet a lot of the time but when the team and supporters both show up, there's just no substitute.
I have been to about a dozen Bundesliga games and they are all a bit like that. Constant noise, but almost nothing to do with what’s happening on the pitch.

The atmosphere at the Amex is ok, but most of the noise has and always will come from the North Stand, which for home supporters is the smallest stand in the stadium. Make that stand twice the size, you probably get twice the noise, basically what they have done at Spurs, Dortmund etc.

Clearly, drums, big flags, goal music etc is the way to go instead 😳.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Presumably, if you think that an atmosphere is created by a class outing of the local youth amateur dramatics society role playing as 1990s Lazio Ultras accompanied by a drummer too limited to have replaced Bobby Gillespie in the Jesus & Mary Chain, then your opinion is, to say the least, unreliable.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've been to every stadium in the premier league. We aren't that bad by comparison. It is fairly standard to be outsung by the away fans in most stadiums now. Possible exceptions are Leeds, Newcastle and Everton

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Had some German friends over this season. Both Dortmund fans used to a good atmosphere.

I pre-empted their visit to the Amex by saying it probably wouldn’t be as lively as they were used to.

They say in the centre of the West Lower and were very complimentary, saying we made a lot of noise and the atmosphere was good.

It was the Chelsea match mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ALL British football fans are reactive.
Palace doubly so and they know it too.

Hardly a peep from them last week.
No surprise, for 70 minutes they were humiliated.
But even after the lucky equaliser, they were pretty damn quiet.

I guess they didn't remember what got them there.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
These words were sent to me by a colleague whose a sports journalist. ( and a Palace fan ! )
I'm in the North Stand and its usually noisy there but sections of the ground would make a library look noisy.

He has a point .

Tomorrow the difference will be the fans - Fulham are a complete side and possibly marginally better than us .

So are we going to make some noise tomorrow ?
He’s a sports journalist eh?
who for?

i expect for your local schools comic?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So we're now nearly three pages deep into a thread which was started along the lines of "there's a Palace fan who thinks we're shit"?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
These words were sent to me by a colleague whose a sports journalist. ( and a Palace fan ! )
I'm in the North Stand and its usually noisy there but sections of the ground would make a library look noisy.

He has a point .

Tomorrow the difference will be the fans - Fulham are a complete side and possibly marginally better than us .

So are we going to make some noise tomorrow ?
Having travelled extensively to watch us I can safely say that's bullshit

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
ALL British football fans are reactive.
Palace doubly so and they know it too.

Hardly a peep from them last week.
No surprise, for 70 minutes they were humiliated.
But even after the lucky equaliser, they were pretty damn quiet.

But... but... Best atmosphere in the league... (by 200 black clad numpties who seemingly can't be bothered much either now)

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I think not will we make noise but why don't we would be a better question. Withdean had a singing section and it seems the NW corner of Northstand is where the singing starts? The central North gets involved. Some of the, actually most songs are quite convoluted especially around players name not easy to pronounce hence the easier "seagulls ,seagulls, seagulls" etc if sung more form North side I think would get things going around the whole ground. Older generations will remember "go left go pick up steps blah blah" but younger generations not so. Ultimately I wonder if we have more than our quota of corporate like customers and some of the other PL more working class football fans?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Had exactly the same experience when watching abroad. Impressive, but so divorced from what's happening on the pitch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports