Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere at the Amex comfortably the worst in the league

el punal

I don’t give a flying f*** what the atmosphere is like - ooh, our fans are noisier than your fans etc. It’s what happens on the pitch that determines the ‘atmosphere’, and, my mood. If the boys are playing well that’s fine and dandy with me. To be honest every ground has quieter sections, by the same criteria away fans, including us, tend to be the loudest. That’s the nature of the footballing beast and that’s not going to change any time soon.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Those who complain about the atmosphere are usually the ones not doing anything about it. It if want a decent atmosphere, join in.
I can't remember if it was earlier this season, or if it was last season (the break for the world cup has messed with my concept of seasons), but there was a guy near me who spent the first 70mins of a match moaning about everything - moaning about us playing it out from the back, moaning about Sanchez kicking it long, moanining about the referees, moaning about the substitutions (or lack of them). Then quite late in the game, having spent the whole game moaning about what was on the pitch, then criticised the fans for not being positive enough.

:facepalm:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
On another note - how are Fulham "marginally better than us" at present ?

Currently below us in the table having played 2 more games than us, scoring less and conceding more than us.

This may change at 5pm tomorrow but is not correct now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
These words were sent to me by a colleague whose a sports journalist. ( and a Palace fan ! )
I'm in the North Stand and its usually noisy there but sections of the ground would make a library look noisy.

He has a point .

Tomorrow the difference will be the fans - Fulham are a complete side and possibly marginally better than us .

So are we going to make some noise tomorrow ?
Why do you think they are possibly a marginally better side?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What a fascinating and brand new discussion this is. Let’s discuss Mr Tumbles diving next…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Others have said it before: we are a reactive crowd. Give us something to cheer about or become indignant over and we're incredible. First 20 mins of Sheffield Wednesday in Playoff Semis was the best atmosphere I have ever, ever experienced at a game. Score early against Fulham and the atmosphere will be good.
Most clubs are. There are active threads on other clubs fans fora, about what can be done to improve the home atmosphere. For example daytime games at Anfield and all games at the Etihad.

Daytime games have always been the worst, this goes back to the 70’s. Games under lights are far more lively.

Old Trafford and the Emirates have been largely shit for years. Flying high, are years of hurt, they’ve upped the volume. Arsenal with the most boring songs on the planet.

I think some Albion fans are over analytical and hard on our club.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've been to every stadium in the premier league. We aren't that bad by comparison. It is fairly standard to be outsung by the away fans in most stadiums now. Possible exceptions are Leeds, Newcastle and Everton

The Goodison noise is just hatred towards the officials, claiming injustices every 30 seconds.

Not spine tingling chants.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I watched the Bournemouth game on a stream. One of the commentators said something along the lines of 'quite quiet in the stadium today, not like the normal noisy crowd down here'. So, those who travel around the country as neutrals don't seem to think it's a library.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
On another note - how are Fulham "marginally better than us" at present ?

Currently below us in the table having played 2 more games than us, scoring less and conceding more than us.

This may change at 5pm tomorrow but is not correct now.
All will be revealed tomorrow.

Mitrovic always owns Dunk, Willian/Robinson/Palhinha and their midfield are exceptional.

I can easily see a 1-2 scoreline.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I watched the Bournemouth game on a stream. One of the commentators said something along the lines of 'quite quiet in the stadium today, not like the normal noisy crowd down here'. So, those who travel around the country as neutrals don't seem to think it's a library.
Funny how quiet the Vitality was the other day.......................

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I've been to every stadium in the premier league. We aren't that bad by comparison. It is fairly standard to be outsung by the away fans in most stadiums now. Possible exceptions are Leeds, Newcastle and Everton
Leeds yes, Everton and Newcastle no way. Shyte most of the time (especially Everton, unless atmosphere = moaning angrily). Surprise surprise St James's is more lively now though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Leeds yes, Everton and Newcastle no way. Shyte most of the time (especially Everton, unless atmosphere = moaning angrily). Surprise surprise St James's is more lively now though
A typical match day @ Goodison:

Initially, their one chant “Everton, Everton, EVERTON” …. yes the same repetitive dirge as “Arsenal, Arsenal, ARSENAL”.

Perhaps if you’re lucky a copy of Celtic’s “Grand Old Team”.

Then increasing anger towards officials for having the temerity to penalise Everton fouls.

The finale …. “Sack The Board”.

Living the EPL dream.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
These words were sent to me by a colleague whose a sports journalist. ( and a Palace fan ! )
I'm in the North Stand and its usually noisy there but sections of the ground would make a library look noisy.

He has a point .

Tomorrow the difference will be the fans - Fulham are a complete side and possibly marginally better than us .

Was this Palace supporting Journalist at Anfield for RDZ’s first game? Absolute library.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A typical match day @ Goodison:

Initially, their one chant “Everton, Everton, EVERTON” …. yes the same repetitive dirge as “Arsenal, Arsenal, ARSENAL”.

Perhaps if you’re lucky a copy of Celtic’s “Grand Old Team”.

Then increasing anger towards officials for having the temerity to penalise Everton fouls.

The finale …. “Sack The Board”.

Living the EPL dream.
I think the Everton chant is the only chant I've ever heard them sing at the Amex, too

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He has a point .

A Palace supporting sports journalist dissing the Amex

Must be FACT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here