Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Artisan, Shoreham

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not had work done there but I’ve heard very good things.
Yeah they are good, nice lads to boot.

The Tattoo studio down towards Shoreham on the coast road, is run by the original drummer from the Polecats, I have heard not very good things about them.

Ex Drummer tattooing is always a worry.

My go too Tattoo studio of choice was Lal Hardy in Muswell Hill.
Proper old school hard London Rockabilly

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Isn't that cooked?
Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, eggs and bacon are usually cooked.

To my mind, when someone refers to a cooked breakfast, they mean egg(s), bacon, sausage(s), tomatoes and mushrooms as a minimum. Toast, hash browns and black pudding are optional. Beans, together with their infernal bean juice, have no place on a breakfast plate.

And another thing.

When I see tomatoes on the menu, I expect the plate to contain tomatoes (plural), not one tomato, or heaven forbid, HALF of ONE tomato. The same of course, applies to sausages, eggs and hash browns, all of which should be cooked.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The Tattoo studio down towards Shoreham on the coast road, is run by the original drummer from the Polecats, I have heard not very good things about them.

I know Muswell Hill a little.

The majority of my work was done by Ruth in Dorking and Chris at Temple Tattoo on Boyce’s St, Brighton.

Not heard anything about that one on the parade of shops in Brighton Rd but it does not look great. Not always the best way to judge a studio but no, something about the place looks off.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brazil ha ha.
Actually after the recent political incidents we are thinking of heading off to Portugal.
I have an Irish passport and the Mrs is Brazilian so it would suit her better.
Nice. Lovely place too.

I have an Irish passport so may look further afield in the next few years. We shall see…

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know Muswell Hill a little.

The majority of my work was done by Ruth in Dorking and Chris at Temple Tattoo on Boyce’s St, Brighton.

Not heard anything about that one on the parade of shops in Brighton Rd but it does not look great. Not always the best way to judge a studio but no, something about the place looks off.
New Wave Tattoo Studio on Sydney Street.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Popped in to my favourite Shoreham cafe after a while of not having time to do a leisurely brekkie for some time.

Looking forward to their full English, which although a bit pricey has always been superb. And run by friendly people who are happy to have a chat and catch up.

Imagine my horror. Firstly it smells rotten. Like mildew mixed with industrial, wanking booth grade detergent.

I said hi! To the two ladies behind the counter. To my surprise they answered in American accents.

Okay. I couldn’t see any menus so asked for a breakfast menu. No menu. Just some sorry looking pastries at the back and a couple of lonely quiches under the glass cloche.

I was disappointed but politely and cheerily said “ah! I was looking for a cooked breakfast, not to worry”!
Her response?

“I’m not worried”

Well you f***ing should be. That place would normally be heaving with after school drop off milf at this time. Today? One lady in the corner nursing a coffee.

When did this change? I didn’t think I’d been away that long.

Settled for Tom’s. Which while being a bit of a rip off, was tasty. No full English though.

Shoreham is fast becoming the stronghold of the yoga mat and labradoodle crowd. I’m glad I moved along the road few years back. Nice to visit, pubs are great but it’s changing exponentially and getting worse.

Americans!? Gawd help us all.
It's January all the milfs are doing pilates..

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always count myself lucky that I was born and bred in Shoreham living there for 30 years. Lived just off of Kingston Lane so also handy for Southwick, another great place. The geographic location is its biggest asset, right on the sea and the beautiful rolling Sussex downs behind it with easy access to places like Bramber and Steyning. No denying its history either with St Marys, the old Toll Bridge and the Marlipins Museum. Great pubs as well with the Wellington, Buckingham Arms (and their beer festivals), the Old Star and the Piston Broke. Never been in the Artisan but it does seem there has been a bit of a hipster influx in some eating places recently but nothing too drastic. The Ropetackle development really started the current mega developments like the one going up next to the Welly. It's not ideal and will certainly affect the traffic and infrastructure in the town but I believe Shoreham is more than able to hold its own and absorb such changes - after all it's been there over 900 years.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Shoreham is a bit grim now isn’t it unless you’re on the lash. Lived there for the first 20 years of my life, I’m not even 30 and hate what it’s become.

The amount of new blocks of flats going up is ridiculous, all for the DFL crowd to continue to gentrify the absolute shit out of it. I’m worried about when Lancing follows.

Depends on your perspective; I used to work with a female lawyer who happened to be black and she said her first job in the late 90s led to her moving to and working in Shoreham. She told me that people would stop in the street and stare at her like she had arrived from Mars and she would get odd comments. Going to pubs after work with colleagues was particularly uncomfortable, but she felt fine going out in Brighton. Anyway, she moved to London and she wouldn't believe me that Shoreham is now quite a cosmopolitan place to live...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Depends on your perspective; I used to work with a female lawyer who happened to be black and she said her first job in the late 90s led to her moving to and working in Shoreham. She told me that people would stop in the street and stare at her like she had arrived from Mars and she would get odd comments. Going to pubs after work with colleagues was particularly uncomfortable, but she felt fine going out in Brighton. Anyway, she moved to London and she wouldn't believe me that Shoreham is now quite a cosmopolitan place to live...
Oh so it was her that used to stop and stare at me

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
DFL (1997 vintage here) living in Shoreham. Love it, best thing I ever did was move here. I love the fact that the shops in town are mostly not spoiled when closed by metal shutters. It just gives me a 'nice town' vibe. The bad pubs have largely gone (Morning Star & Burrell Arms anyone?) But I can see it changing for the worse when those flats are completed. It will always be nicer than Lancing though that's for sure
Ha, both pubs full of thieves. The burrells meat raffle on the Sunday was supplied from Somerfield ( i think it was called that then ) after the Saturday afternoon nicking spree.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Popped in to my favourite Shoreham cafe after a while of not having time to do a leisurely brekkie for some time.

Looking forward to their full English, which although a bit pricey has always been superb. And run by friendly people who are happy to have a chat and catch up.

Imagine my horror. Firstly it smells rotten. Like mildew mixed with industrial, wanking booth grade detergent.

I said hi! To the two ladies behind the counter. To my surprise they answered in American accents.

Okay. I couldn’t see any menus so asked for a breakfast menu. No menu. Just some sorry looking pastries at the back and a couple of lonely quiches under the glass cloche.

I was disappointed but politely and cheerily said “ah! I was looking for a cooked breakfast, not to worry”!
Her response?

“I’m not worried”

Well you f***ing should be. That place would normally be heaving with after school drop off milf at this time. Today? One lady in the corner nursing a coffee.

When did this change? I didn’t think I’d been away that long.

Settled for Tom’s. Which while being a bit of a rip off, was tasty. No full English though.

Shoreham is fast becoming the stronghold of the yoga mat and labradoodle crowd. I’m glad I moved along the road few years back. Nice to visit, pubs are great but it’s changing exponentially and getting worse.

Americans!? Gawd help us all.
Don’t think it’s anything to do with nationality! There’s plenty of decent cafes doing full breakfasts in Hove ..Maybe the footfall in shoreham is not sufficient for that cafe to do enough business .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
When I see tomatoes on the menu, I expect the plate to contain tomatoes (plural), not one tomato, or heaven forbid, HALF of ONE tomato.
Definitely NEVER tinned tomatoes in a breakfast.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
The morning star got knocked down and they built a block of flats . . . . The Burrels is mostly a block of flats, the Surry arms got turned into flats . . . . There's a bit of a theme

I know the owner of Artisan, he has been distracted by an elderly sick mother in law overseas, I'm sure he'll be as dissapointed as you were clamp.

as I live so close to town I rarely eat out in Shoreham. But have used Artisan and its always been good.

Ginger & Dobbs is strictly 'saw you coming' Hove actually. IMO.

Teddys is/was good for a full English . . .or the proper cafe by the Duke.
Is that cafe still there. They did a great breakfast, does anyone remember Scott Welsh? i think his Dad owned it.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I have to say, I held back because I was very hungry and I find it hard to judge my anger levels when I’m “hangry”, so I just keep my mouth shut incase I go too far and regret ruining my own day through being overly angry about something that really doesn’t matter in the big scheme.

But yeah, she did get my blood up.

Yeah I hear that, think I would still had to give a sarcastic 'maybe you should as this place is empty' as Im walking out punk:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Lal is a legend and still going strong. Ive been to his studio and had work done by mates of his.

He's had adapted amazing with the times too, as his realism and his black and grey work is great too (as well as his bold traditional work).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here