Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Artisan, Shoreham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You could always move to Sompting, guard against any gentrification crossing the Adur by putting a bit of space between you and any hint of a soy milk latte
What that it were, out of my price range unfortunately. I’m happy where I am though, for now. As long as they don’t build on beach green, I have a good spot.

I don’t go into Lancing village that much but it’s got all I need without any of the flummery. If I fancy a sniff of avacado I’ll pop over the road to Perch and try and figure out which counter I’m allowed to go to get a black coffee 🤣

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I’m really hoping Lancing is overlooked. I moved here a few years ago from Shoreham and I love that it hasn’t been gentrified.

Surely only a matter of time.
Genuine question, how is Lancing as a place to live? Not been for quite a while but last time I found the high street dull and very rundown, characterless, and the pub by the station grim. People complain about the gentrification of Shoreham but if Lancing is the alternative... (not a dig at Lancing btw).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Lived in Shoreham for past 20 years. Hardly ever go into the town, like being by the Sea but not into a egg, ricotta and hollandaise creme over organic rye bread with pumpkin seeds and a extra mocca cappuccino with vegan skimmed almond milk.

Was dragged into La Patisserie (I think it's called, on the corner of East St and the coast Rd) a few months ago for lunch by Mrs B. Cornish Pastie and pastry for me, soup and pastry for the Mrs and 2 latte's. Eat out, best part of £20.

Wondered if they charged me for the people before me. I'll stick to the Tesco meal deal in future.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
DFL (1997 vintage here) living in Shoreham. Love it, best thing I ever did was move here. I love the fact that the shops in town are mostly not spoiled when closed by metal shutters. It just gives me a 'nice town' vibe. The bad pubs have largely gone (Morning Star & Burrell Arms anyone?) But I can see it changing for the worse when those flats are completed. It will always be nicer than Lancing though that's for sure
It is nicer than lancing. I’m many, many respects. But here in Lancing I see a dentist when I need, I get GP appointments when I need etc.

I love Shoreham. I really found my home when I lived there. And in many ways it still is. My fitness live there, my regular pubs and restaurants are there. We all meet there. But I do like being a 30 min walk down the road, with all the advantages of being in a non gentrified town.

I can’t argue, Shoreham is lovely. It has been a huge part of my life since the late 90’s but I’ve seen it change over the last 25 years. For good and bad.

I used to love its ramshackle little paths and riverside. That’s all cleaned up now so the new builds can get flood insurance. Okay. Fair enough I suppose.

I like East Street now, on the whole.

St Mary’s area is still gorgeous. But the surrounds of Shoreham have become a Benidorm style mash of monolithic apartment blocks that bring the associated out of towners with them. Flooding the demand for infrastructure and amenities that simply aren’t there.

Wait till they construct that behemoth next to The Welly. That is going to change Shoreham for the worse. Irreversibly.

Such a great, great shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Genuine question, how is Lancing as a place to live? Not been for quite a while but last time I found the high street dull and very rundown, characterless, and the pub by the station grim. People complain about the gentrification of Shoreham but if Lancing is the alternative... (not a dig at Lancing btw).
Well, maybe I am not the best to ask as I live opposite the beach green and rarely go into the village. Shoreham is still my go-to for pubs and shops.
However, yes it’s still very 1980’s in appearance. I’d hesitate to say it’s run down. Very few empty shops, those that are there are well kept with hanging baskets and clean front ways etc.

The”keep lancing lovely” initiative seems to keep things fairly nice. “Lovely” might be a stretch 😂

But we have got a nice little train station, a 20 min walk up to the Downs and Lancing Ring etc

A lovely stretch of the beach bang in front of me. The gym opposite, The Perch is nice. A short stroll along the beach path to Shoreham.

The library is great and shops are fine if you’re okay with Asda. There’s a nice tea-room run by the volunteers society, decent barbers, chemists, Boots, WH Smith’s. A few nice restaurants, takeaways are good. Splashpoint just up the road.

Plus as I say, no huge wait for dentist or GP etc.

Look, it’s no oil painting and it’s got more than it’s fair share of toothless folk on the one crutch but it’s got its character and has thus far avoided the Brighton drift.

I like it and plan on staying here for a good while yet.

Edit; oh, the pubs are f***ing awful. Not one decent one in the whole of Lancing. Shoreham is where I drink.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The bad pubs have largely gone (Morning Star & Burrell Arms anyone?)
I assume your referencing Haywards Heath here. When I worked there it always amazing me what dives those two pubs were given the local demographic and the types of business in Perrymount Road.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I assume your referencing Haywards Heath here. When I worked there it always amazing me what dives those two pubs were given the local demographic and the types of business in Perrymount Road.
Burrell was in Shoreham, closed and became Brio restaurant which has since closed as not particularly very good

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Well, maybe I am not the best to ask as I live opposite the beach green and rarely go into the village. Shoreham is still my go-to for pubs and shops.
However, yes it’s still very 1980’s in appearance. I’d hesitate to say it’s run down. Very few empty shops, those that are there are well kept with hanging baskets and clean front ways etc.

The”keep lancing lovely” initiative seems to keep things fairly nice. “Lovely” might be a stretch 😂

But we have got a nice little train station, a 20 min walk up to the Downs and Lancing Ring etc

A lovely stretch of the beach bang in front of me. The gym opposite, The Perch is nice. A short stroll along the beach path to Shoreham.

The library is great and shops are fine if you’re okay with Asda. There’s a nice tea-room run by the volunteers society, decent barbers, chemists, Boots, WH Smith’s. A few nice restaurants, takeaways are good. Splashpoint just up the road.

Plus as I say, no huge wait for dentist or GP etc.

Look, it’s no oil painting and it’s got more than it’s fair share of toothless folk on the one crutch but it’s got its character and has thus far avoided the Brighton drift.

I like it and plan on staying here for a good while yet.

Edit; oh, the pubs are f***ing awful. Not one decent one in the whole of Lancing. Shoreham is where I drink.
Thanks for the reply, I'm always interested to hear views of the locals!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Artisan was closed a few mornings ago.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

The New Sussex Hotel seems alright, even if it’s ludicrously expensive.

I will concede though that choosing between The Farmers & The Railway is like asking which bollock you’d prefer to find a lump on.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The New Sussex Hotel seems alright, even if it’s ludicrously expensive.

I will concede though that choosing between The Farmers & The Railway is like asking which bollock you’d prefer to find a lump on.
I tried the New Sussex, hmm, yeah I could agree it’s the best of an awful, awful bunch.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Luckily I saw this thread this morning, so when Mrs Wz suggested it for a late breakfast today I was able to put her right

Had to settle for a breakfast wrap in Drury's (y)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
DFL (1997 vintage here) living in Shoreham. Love it, best thing I ever did was move here. I love the fact that the shops in town are mostly not spoiled when closed by metal shutters. It just gives me a 'nice town' vibe. The bad pubs have largely gone (Morning Star & Burrell Arms anyone?) But I can see it changing for the worse when those flats are completed. It will always be nicer than Lancing though that's for sure
Lancing is not fit for Human habitation

Edit: I'm gonna track back here almost instantly, it was very pleasant when I went there the other day, but I did see a mass brawl at the station between travellers the time before that, plus the pub by the station is a dive.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here