Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Artisan, Shoreham

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
We used to use the Artisan for fry up before we visited the saturday market.
Yes it`s overpriced but was decent.
I was born and bred in Shoreham and it`s certainly changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. I barely recognise anybody these days.
Now live in Sompting and regularly haunt the Rainbow in Lancing for a fry up on a Saturday, good value for money.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham is a bit grim now isn’t it unless you’re on the lash. Lived there for the first 20 years of my life, I’m not even 30 and hate what it’s become.

The amount of new blocks of flats going up is ridiculous, all for the DFL crowd to continue to gentrify the absolute shit out of it. I’m worried about when Lancing follows.
That isn't totally true. My son, born and raised in Brighton, has a flat (a very nice one) in Mariner's Point opposite the Welly. Also it's Housing Association so he's bought 25% of it and rents the other 75% very reasonably. Quite a few others in the block are also Sussex born and raised and are also benefitting from the same deal.

However I agree that the number going up is ridiculous though. The A259 past his door is just a solid stream of traffic all day.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
C0BB0DE5-1060-49C0-BC77-9C97CE30C056.jpeg
7CCF5653-AE96-4928-93D3-EEBF8D58D3D0.jpeg
4E7B68D0-FB10-45CF-8E90-D536EB9982C5.jpeg
DFBD0DDC-B3E9-40B4-B639-5EDD157D8515.jpeg
E6F610C1-036B-4CA8-AAFA-2303CDF8650E.jpeg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That isn't totally true. My son, born and raised in Brighton, has a flat (a very nice one) in Mariner's Point opposite the Welly. Also it's Housing Association so he's bought 25% of it and rents the other 75% very reasonably. Quite a few others in the block are also Sussex born and raised and are also benefitting from the same deal.

However I agree that the number going up is ridiculous though. The A259 past his door is just a solid stream of traffic all day.
It’s shame that even this relatively new block is about to be swamped in darkness from the massive block going up opposite.
Changing Shoreham’s historic skyline forever.

:-(

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Popped in to my favourite Shoreham cafe after a while of not having time to do a leisurely brekkie for some time.

Looking forward to their full English, which although a bit pricey has always been superb. And run by friendly people who are happy to have a chat and catch up.

Imagine my horror. Firstly it smells rotten. Like mildew mixed with industrial, wanking booth grade detergent.

I said hi! To the two ladies behind the counter. To my surprise they answered in American accents.

Okay. I couldn’t see any menus so asked for a breakfast menu. No menu. Just some sorry looking pastries at the back and a couple of lonely quiches under the glass cloche.

I was disappointed but politely and cheerily said “ah! I was looking for a cooked breakfast, not to worry”!
Her response?

“I’m not worried”

Well you f***ing should be. That place would normally be heaving with after school drop off milf at this time. Today? One lady in the corner nursing a coffee.

When did this change? I didn’t think I’d been away that long.

Settled for Tom’s. Which while being a bit of a rip off, was tasty. No full English though.

Shoreham is fast becoming the stronghold of the yoga mat and labradoodle crowd. I’m glad I moved along the road few years back. Nice to visit, pubs are great but it’s changing exponentially and getting worse.

Americans!? Gawd help us all.
This is very spooky! I went in earlier for a coffee ... first time I've been in there for some time. I was taken back when I saw the blue haired American lady as she previously worked at the Harris & Hoole outlet at Holmbush. Her attitude was always very aggressive and on one occasion I had to take it up with their head office. I used to use H&H quite a lot when shopping ... coffee usually decent. But then had a few not so good and one was absolutely shocking. I took it back and asked if it could be remade ... her response was just shocking and she refused!!

I ended up getting a call from someone at cafe Nero who own H&H and they were very apologetic ... sent me loads of vouchers for Nero.

She is very abrupt and should not be in a customer facing role!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Customer service is not rocket science.

Clamp: I was after a cooked breakfast. Not to worry.
Artisan: I'm sorry, we don't do cooked breakfasts, but we can do you a bacon and egg sandwich?
Clamp: Yes, please.
Artisan: Would you like to go large with two eggs and two rashers?
Clamp: Yes, all right then.

Or something along those lines. It's not difficult.
Clamp: "now make the rashers, and the eggs, stick a sausage next to the rashers, cut a tomato I'm half and serve the 'sandwich bread' toasted on its own, buttered, on the side of the plate and we've got ourselves a deal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There’s always one who operates their keyboard before engaging their brain.
To be fair he did retract.

I’m not blind, I know there are some parts of Lancing that aren’t great. But it’s far from a shithole.

Having said that, outsiders…stay away. You wouldn’t like it. It’s a dump.

:)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is very spooky! I went in earlier for a coffee ... first time I've been in there for some time. I was taken back when I saw the blue haired American lady as she previously worked at the Harris & Hoole outlet at Holmbush. Her attitude was always very aggressive and on one occasion I had to take it up with their head office. I used to use H&H quite a lot when shopping ... coffee usually decent. But then had a few not so good and one was absolutely shocking. I took it back and asked if it could be remade ... her response was just shocking and she refused!!

I ended up getting a call from someone at cafe Nero who own H&H and they were very apologetic ... sent me loads of vouchers for Nero.

She is very abrupt and should not be in a customer facing role!
Ah! That’s interesting! On a few levels.

I hope Nero aren’t buying up small independent cafes?

And yeah, she seems like a right mardy git.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I’m not blind, I know there are some let’s do Lancing that aren’t great. But it’s far from a shithole.

Fair enough. I’ve lived in Sompting for 6 years and never had/seen any trouble.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I’m not blind, I know there are some parts of Lancing that aren’t great. But it’s far from a shithole.

I have no experience other than the high street and the training ground, I think its fair to say the high street is a bit of a dive, I always thought the other parts were more sompting

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I assume your referencing Haywards Heath here. When I worked there it always amazing me what dives those two pubs were given the local demographic and the types of business in Perrymount Road.
The morning star got knocked down and they built a block of flats . . . . The Burrels is mostly a block of flats, the Surry arms got turned into flats . . . . There's a bit of a theme

I know the owner of Artisan, he has been distracted by an elderly sick mother in law overseas, I'm sure he'll be as dissapointed as you were clamp.

as I live so close to town I rarely eat out in Shoreham. But have used Artisan and its always been good.

Ginger & Dobbs is strictly 'saw you coming' Hove actually. IMO.

Teddys is/was good for a full English . . .or the proper cafe by the Duke.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have no experience other than the high street and the training ground, I think its fair to say the high street is a bit of a dive, I always thought the other parts were more sompting
The areas in the shots I posted are all Lancing and North Lancing.

Yep, can’t disagree that the high street is a bit dated. But I disagree it’s a dive. It’s well kept. Clean. Hanging baskets and well kept flowerbeds.
Some nice independent bakeries and other shops.
Good restaurants.
Very few empty shops.

But it’s no Shoreham, for sure.

The high street is a very small part of Lancing. I moved there for the beach and even more so, the surrounding countryside.

Walking North through the village and up to Lancing Ring, taking in the chocolate box cottages and converted farm houses.. a real treat.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I work in Lancing and despite it's run down look in areas, such as toytown, it is not that bad, a bit chav in places, but don't most areas have that.
The folk in Lancing may look rough and ready and always had that reputation of hard blokes and there seems a high percentage here, but I think that is because most I know or have dealings with are trades people, working in hard manual labour labour or skilled workers hands on.

They tried recently to change the name and image to Lancing by Sea or something to make it more attractive to investment and tourism etc.
That failed, I have noticed a divide in Lancing actually those the other side of the 27 in North Lancing look down on those in South Lancing.

Clamp you have a great spot over the green then, the prices will only go up where you are.

A sidenote, those moaning about all the flats going up in Shoreham at the moment, think on you can't have everything, as you maybe the same people who moan about house prices shooting up and their children and grandchildren not being able to afford to get on the housing ladder, many of these projects include a healthy number of assisted living as in partnerships including housing associations.

Since I was born in Shoreham back in 1969 things have changed unrecognisably, but in my opinion it has changed for the better overall.

All good in the hood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here