Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Artisan, Shoreham

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
'I'm not worried'. Jesus.

Don't mind me, I'm just the customer.
I’m astonished TC got that a reply, it’s about as duck you you can say without actually saying it! I’d have have replied “can I get that quote again, on my phone, because I’m about to make you an internet sensation” (not in a good way!)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Update: I walked past Artisan yesterday, wondering if the American woman who was not worried about her customers, was still employed there.

There was a notice on the door, saying 'Closed until further notice'. Later, I looked on their website. It said 'Permanently closed'.

As @The Clamp said, this place used to be full. Are there any business people out there who could shed a light on why it went from 50 odd covers to zero?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Update: I walked past Artisan yesterday, wondering if the American woman who was not worried about her customers, was still employed there.

There was a notice on the door, saying 'Closed until further notice'. Later, I looked on their website. It said 'Permanently closed'.

As @The Clamp said, this place used to be full. Are there any business people out there who could shed a light on why it went from 50 odd covers to zero?
Ah! Interesting. And rather sad. Such a lovely spot. Run well, that could be a goldmine.

I don’t actually think it’s ever been run to it’s full potential but that last iteration was so clearly a last stop on the way to insolvency :-(

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ah! Interesting. And rather sad. Such a lovely spot. Run well, that could be a goldmine.

I don’t actually think it’s ever been run to it’s full potential but that last iteration was so clearly a last stop on the way to insolvency :-(
Hector's is still there, although it's a bit cramped with no toilet. Tomfoolery is also still going on the seafront, although it's poncy and overpriced. I wonder if it's because they care about their customers and don't effectively tell them to **** off?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hector's is still there, although it's a bit cramped with no toilet. Tomfoolery is also still going on the seafront, although it's poncy and overpriced. I wonder if it's because they care about their customers and don't effectively tell them to **** off?

I've been to Hector's a couple of times over the last few weeks and like it in there, very friendly :thumbsup:

Did NSC Jamie Artisan out of existence?

Judging from my one visit under that last management, I think they managed it all by themselves :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find it helps!

Hectors is very nice but as you say, cramped.

Neve been a huge fan of Tom’s but it’s okay in a pinch.

I’m rather enjoying Drift at the moment. Friendly staff, nice upstairs area, good food, good selection of drinks.

Nice breakfasts. The breakfast burrito is good.

My choice is one of their smoothies with a plate of scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. Comes in at under a tenner.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Hahah! I think the American lady in there killed it off. And taking hot food off the menu probably didn’t help much either. Bizarre choice. They had a loyal customer base.
You can see how some places make decisions for the benefit of the staff and not the customer. Taking hot food off the menu would have meant less work for them, but maybe it lost them all those customers who wanted a hot meal. It's a bit like Brexit. It sounds like less work, until you find that it's your livelihood and you've instantly halved your customer base.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Maybe there was a big rent hike ? It is surprising because although according to Andy Naylor it’s a great place to live ,Shoreham could do with a few more decent cafes .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hahah! I think the American lady in there killed it off. And taking hot food off the menu probably didn’t help much either. Bizarre choice. They had a loyal customer base.
Tripadvisor seems to largely confirm your assessment. Unless of course you wrote all the reviews :lol:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Quite a sour ending on Trip Advisor. Always find it strange that owners don’t take a clearly obvious spike in negativity from public reviews seriously and address the common themes promptly.
Indeed.

The reviews are quite a sobering read, and tales of belligerent staff, a dirty toilet (a massive red flag in a cafe/restaurant) and unhappy customers document the decline of the place. For whatever reason, the owners chose not to listen or respond to customer feedback. They had the chance to do so, and they didn't do it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Indeed.

The reviews are quite a sobering read, and tales of belligerent staff, a dirty toilet (a massive red flag in a cafe/restaurant) and unhappy customers document the decline of the place. For whatever reason, the owners chose not to listen or respond to customer feedback. They had the chance to do so, and they didn't do it.
I’m always more impressed when every review is responded to , good and bad .

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m always more impressed when every review is responded to , good and bad .
Especially the clear non acceptance of the bad ones with the passive aggressive undertones.

I particularly like the one that complain about the food quality and the response of “well you didn’t tell us” being the equaliser!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Sounds like they got what they deserved in the end.
Clearly a career/business in hospitality is not her thing but maybe the only thing she might have been able for but failed at that too.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A shame. I had heard she was quite rude when she was at Holmbush too.

That really does seem like business suicide.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know the guy behind Artisan, he had it well set up and going well for some time ( with other venues) A combination of landlord being a cock, post lockdown, and some serious family health issues meant he took his eye off what was a well oiled machine. Add the fact he's in his mid 70's himself, he has effectively wound it all down and retired. A real shame as the West St Loft was argualy the best venue in Shoreham as well.

We've discussed at length the state of dining, fine or Otherwise, in Shoreham. Getting the price/quality right for the townsfolk is clearly a balancing act, on a very fine knife edge, in the wind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here