Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Artisan, Shoreham

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know the guy behind Artisan, he had it well set up and going well for some time ( with other venues) A combination of landlord being a cock, post lockdown, and some serious family health issues meant he took his eye off what was a well oiled machine. Add the fact he's in his mid 70's himself, he has effectively wound it all down and retired. A real shame as the West St Loft was argualy the best venue in Shoreham as well.

We've discussed at length the state of dining, fine or Otherwise, in Shoreham. Getting the price/quality right for the townsfolk is clearly a balancing act, on a very fine knife edge, in the wind.
I’m sorry to hear he has had problems. As you say, a shame as I used to like Artisan a lot.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On Friday Eggs Benedict cafe threw a portion of slop at me, having previously served one of the best plates of food I've ever eaten. (Naturally I ate it without complaint and said "thank you, that was marvelous" as I left)

They've got one more go at it, probably before Luton.
If new slop is now the norm I shall complain, show them this photo of what I could have won, then leave and never darken their door again.

That'll learn them.

IMG_20230521_092926_700.jpg

Friday's pic would have broken my camera.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
it isn't that big a gap.

At least half a dozen places you could walk in and get a cooked breakfast.
Artisans fridge leftovers are probably better than Truffles, miserable bastards in there too.
The Cafe by the Duke is probably better, or was last time I went. It's pre covid, but teddys did a good breakfast.

@The Clamp All still kicking and screaming, they're friends, and neighbours, not the way it was intended to end but sometimes things go asgainst you. THere are also far more important things in life than a cafe.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Artisans fridge leftovers are probably better than Truffles, miserable bastards in there too.
The Cafe by the Duke is probably better, or was last time I went. It's pre covid, but teddys did a good breakfast.

@The Clamp All still kicking and screaming, they're friends, and neighbours, not the way it was intended to end but sometimes things go asgainst you. THere are also far more important things in life than a cafe.
That’s good to hear. And yes, absolutely right.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

It is the Hummingbird cafe in the airport, just happens to be run by Truffles. Personally never go for breakfast in Shoreham, I can easily cook better at home.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Sheilas Cafe, just over the level crossing (opposite the Crabtree). 👍🏻
I went there for the first time two weeks ago. Superb! I had a pulled bacon bap stuffed Full with bacon. My wife went for a a bacon and sausage bap. I’m sure it must have been a slow morning as she had 3 full size sausages in her bap.*

* deliberate use of inuendos .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It is the Hummingbird cafe in the airport, just happens to be run by Truffles. Personally never go for breakfast in Shoreham, I can easily cook better at home.
THis is the problem. . . . Non?

Je discute avec les jolies dames, a la Patisserie. Pour un Pair du petite pains.

Pour Le Cafe . . . . Je suis un rock star . . . Oops, err, predictive text . . . . Err . . . I'm at home with the wife, and we have a good coffee machine.

Those who might go out and spend, have spent to avoid going out in recent years, with all the percieved luxuries people have in their own kitchens. . Why go out?

The reason the restaurants suffer ( and pubs ) you can perfectly replicate abject mediocrity in the comfort of your own home.

We are as a nation (mainstream press) gernerally 'lower middle class' and squeezed with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Popped in to my favourite Shoreham cafe after a while of not having time to do a leisurely brekkie for some time.

Looking forward to their full English, which although a bit pricey has always been superb. And run by friendly people who are happy to have a chat and catch up.

Imagine my horror. Firstly it smells rotten. Like mildew mixed with industrial, wanking booth grade detergent.

I said hi! To the two ladies behind the counter. To my surprise they answered in American accents.

Okay. I couldn’t see any menus so asked for a breakfast menu. No menu. Just some sorry looking pastries at the back and a couple of lonely quiches under the glass cloche.

I was disappointed but politely and cheerily said “ah! I was looking for a cooked breakfast, not to worry”!
Her response?

“I’m not worried”

Well you f***ing should be. That place would normally be heaving with after school drop off milf at this time. Today? One lady in the corner nursing a coffee.

When did this change? I didn’t think I’d been away that long.

Settled for Tom’s. Which while being a bit of a rip off, was tasty. No full English though.

Shoreham is fast becoming the stronghold of the yoga mat and labradoodle crowd. I’m glad I moved along the road few years back. Nice to visit, pubs are great but it’s changing exponentially and getting worse.

Americans!? Gawd help us all.
Lovely word, that.

And I feel your pain.

Back in the day (81) I worked in Holborn. For lunch I could pop round the corner and buy a fried bacon sarnie on a white roll with butter and tomato katsup. 25p. Heaven.

You may be able to find another lovely word up above :wink:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just been in Drift. My favourite Shoreham cafe. I recommend the Pastrami bagel. Delicious, as always.
Friendly staff and the only man with a perm South of Kirby.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Popped in to my favourite Shoreham cafe after a while of not having time to do a leisurely brekkie for some time.

Looking forward to their full English, which although a bit pricey has always been superb. And run by friendly people who are happy to have a chat and catch up.

Imagine my horror. Firstly it smells rotten. Like mildew mixed with industrial, wanking booth grade detergent.

I said hi! To the two ladies behind the counter. To my surprise they answered in American accents.

Okay. I couldn’t see any menus so asked for a breakfast menu. No menu. Just some sorry looking pastries at the back and a couple of lonely quiches under the glass cloche.

I was disappointed but politely and cheerily said “ah! I was looking for a cooked breakfast, not to worry”!
Her response?

“I’m not worried”

Well you f***ing should be. That place would normally be heaving with after school drop off milf at this time. Today? One lady in the corner nursing a coffee.

When did this change? I didn’t think I’d been away that long.

Settled for Tom’s. Which while being a bit of a rip off, was tasty. No full English though.

Shoreham is fast becoming the stronghold of the yoga mat and labradoodle crowd. I’m glad I moved along the road few years back. Nice to visit, pubs are great but it’s changing exponentially and getting worse.

Americans!? Gawd help us all.

This is the kind of content I'm here for.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Tom foolery is closed. I always use Hector's. Unpretentious, but limited menu, great staff. Great coffee. I can virtually get away with murder in there ! I normally ask for lobster, or kangaroo steaks. They served me up a plastic lobster the other day ! What brilliant customer service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here