Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Where did this quote originate? I saw it in the Argus just now but assume they lifted it from somewhere?

In the Argus the quote is a little longer but basically saying the same thing:

"I wasn't made last year, I think I have worked hard for ten years and it doesn't suddenly come in a year and you are doing well.
I had two loans before that and played quite a few games there so that has helped me build and perform at the level that I have."

Glad he's come out and said it.

Ben took part in a press conference earlier. One of the questions asked how important his time at Leeds was (along those lines).

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Loving the LeedsLive headline :lolol:

Screenshot (121).png

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Ben took part in a press conference earlier. One of the questions asked how important his time at Leeds was (along those lines).

Brilliant. I'm so glad the question was asked directly and they got a direct answer.

When (if) he eventually joins Man U they are going to have total mental breakdown.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hands up those that saw or even considered Ben White for England once we stole him back from Leeds

Not me

He is a classy player and seems to be a classy guy too

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The more time BW spends with the England squad the more chance he has of game time, only a matter of time before Southgate realises how far ahead of Mings that Ben is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hands up those that saw or even considered Ben White for England once we stole him back from Leeds

Not me

*hand up*

When Southgate mentioned him and Philips as two potential England players last summer, and Philips got the call-up, I definitely thought White couldnt be far off if he had a good season.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
What is the El Abd story (video not playable in my region)?

Just saying that he knew BW had all the attributes needed for a defender, but maybe had one slight worry about if he was physical enough until in a game he smashed through El-Abd with a big challenge. After that he wasnt worried.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Not me

Half a hand up. Said to friends that I thought one day, long in future, he had England potential, but certainly did not expect it so soon. My thoughts were that if Mings, and Coady can play for England, and John Stones could be considered one of the best the country has available then surely Dunk and White could play. But yes was very shocked he made the 33, and even more so when got in the final 26.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just saying that he knew BW had all the attributes needed for a defender, but maybe had one slight worry about if he was physical enough until in a game he smashed through El-Abd with a big challenge. After that he wasnt worried.

He makes reference to the doubt some had about BW’s physicality. Flynn says once he saw him in a 50/50 challenge with ex Brighton captain El Hab he knew he’d make it! Does Warren proud!

Thanks. Would have been this game then - Newport County 0 - 0 Wycombe Wanderers

Craig Mackail-Smith also playing for Wycombe (along with former Albion trialist Paris Cowan-Hall), with Eberechi Eze coming off the bench!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Not me

I did. Especially after Phillips was selected. But not just Ben. Dunky (obvs), Web, Solly and Lamptey I felt were all on the cusp of being called up.

The only major doubt I had was Southgate’s, seeming, reluctance to call an Albion player up. He has now obviously proved he has no such thing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Tee hee.

[tweet]1402251857154777088[/tweet]

Hi Leeds lurkers [emoji112] Killer Willie. White Fan Man (or whatever). This shatters your Bielsa narrative, just a tad.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Southgate picked White because he was the safe (development) player from a smaller club. However, now him and his coaching team have seen him in the flesh they know they’ve ****ed up royally by not selecting Brighton’s captain. White’s going to play because he’s a great footballer, well coached and probably the best defender in that squad with no Maguire. This is going to be the big Croatia selection story and (as we all know) he is not even Brighton’s best CB.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Southgate picked White because he was the safe (development) player from a smaller club. However, now him and his coaching team have seen him in the flesh they know they’ve ****ed up royally by not selecting Brighton’s captain. White’s going to play because he’s a great footballer, well coached and probably the best defender in that squad with no Maguire. This is going to be the big Croatia selection story and (as we all know) he is not even Brighton’s best CB.

The naive thinking seems to have been that because Aston Villa are mid table and Brighton are 16/17th then Mings must be better than White and Dunk. The brief time that Mings and White have now spent as part of the England squad now seems to be swaying that opinion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here