Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Southgate picked White because he was the safe (development) player from a smaller club. However, now him and his coaching team have seen him in the flesh they know they’ve ****ed up royally by not selecting Brighton’s captain. White’s going to play because he’s a great footballer, well coached and probably the best defender in that squad with no Maguire. This is going to be the big Croatia selection story and (as we all know) he is not even Brighton’s best CB.

I appreciate what you're saying about their performances this season (though White finished it superbly- good timing by him, as it turns out).

But Dunk now is realistically as good as he's ever going to be (which is very good). White has a higher ceiling, in my opinion. He will develop further, play for a top club and- hopefully- become an established international player. Much as I admire Dunk, I never saw him playing for a top six club and nor, it seems, did those clubs, given the lack of serious bids for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tee hee.

[tweet]1402251857154777088[/tweet]

Hi Leeds lurkers [emoji112] Killer Willie. White Fan Man (or whatever). This shatters your Bielsa narrative, just a tad.

Good find.

I remember telling my Leeds colleague at work how good Ben was and they were lucky to have him. I told him to watch the Newport cup game where Ben mostly had Kane in his pocket.

Unfortunately, like other Leeds fans, 12 months later he was part of the ‘made in Leeds’ dogma!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I appreciate what you're saying about their performances this season (though White finished it superbly- good timing by him, as it turns out).

But Dunk now is realistically as good as he's ever going to be (which is very good). White has a higher ceiling, in my opinion. He will develop further, play for a top club and- hopefully- become an established international player. Much as I admire Dunk, I never saw him playing for a top six club and nor, it seems, did those clubs, given the lack of serious bids for him.

Lack of genuine pace is the only thing missing from Dunk’s game imo. I think that’s probably why no big teams have made a serious effort.

I’m no Man Utd fan so have no idea if Maguire that much quicker?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Definitely agree that Ben has a higher ceiling. But Dunky, whilst also agree is at his peak, is surely better than one or both of Coady and Mings.

Dunk is what, 29? He’s young enough to play in the next World Cup let alone next weeks Euros, if we were picking a team to win now.

I guess I still feel Lewis is desperately unfortunate for not being recognised by his country on merit.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The naive thinking seems to have been that because Aston Villa are mid table and Brighton are 16/17th then Mings must be better than White and Dunk. The brief time that Mings and White have now spent as part of the England squad now seems to be swaying that opinion

It really does seem that way. There’s also rumours of Dunk being slightly off his game in England training.

I think now they’ve played Ben, they’ll see just how well coached and how good he is, and we may have more of our players called up by England in future. Lamptey and Webby next.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The more time BW spends with the England squad the more chance he has of game time, only a matter of time before Southgate realises how far ahead of Mings that Ben is.

Gutted, I didn't realise that was the threshold.

I'm now gonna spend all summer rueing my missed opportunity.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Gutted, I didn't realise that was the threshold.

I'm now gonna spend all summer rueing my missed opportunity.

The relevance being that Southgate previously seems to have focused on Mings and Coady as defensive options, ignoring players from other teams, and initially BW inclusion seemed a curve ball, but as each day of England training passes im sure BW will creep up the pecking order as his quality is forced upon the coaches.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Southgate is gonna look like a numpty if Ben has a great tournament considering he wasn't even kin the final squad initially....at least he has TAA's injury as an excuse.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One thing I have noticed - and this was before the inclusion in the squad is that Ben White seemed much more included on other players social media - where as when Dunk was there I didn't see as much as that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Southgate is gonna look like a numpty if Ben has a great tournament considering he wasn't even kin the final squad initially....at least he has TAA's injury as an excuse.

As said elsewhere he's going to look like a right giddy goat if, IF, a Ben White marshalled defence navigates the group stages and he's dropped in favour of slabhead only to then get knocked out.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Trevor Sinclair only made the 2002 World Cup squad when Steven Gerrard pulled out injured, but I seem to recall him playing pretty much every game. It wouldn't be the first time that a player arrived late and made their big breakthrough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Trevor Sinclair only made the 2002 World Cup squad when Steven Gerrard pulled out injured, but I seem to recall him playing pretty much every game. It wouldn't be the first time that a player arrived late and made their big breakthrough.

Not quite the same scenario but Alan Ball played because Greavsie got injured.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Sinclair didn’t start the first game but replaced Owen Hargreaves early in the second game after he was injured. Sinclair then started the rest of the games, actually giving us a left midfielder rather than Sven’s preferred system of playing either Scholes or Heskey out of position as he did for first two matches.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 06.09.49.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here