Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat? Do you think you're fat?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
26.7/overweight
Not a surprise, I know I eat too much crappy food and drink a bit too much red wine, but it's because I like it and quality of life is more important to me than being 'healthy' weight so I balance this with trying to be active.
For what it's worth, I have a VO2 max of 59 ('excellent' for someone under 30 according to the scales), normal blood pressure, and a resting heart rate of 55
I'm 47 and ran 8 marathons or longer last year. BMI is a useful indicator but isn't the be all and end all.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
BMI is absolute bobbins. According to this mine is 29.9, yet i spend 60-90 mins i the gym 4 days a week, and run at the weekends. I'm not fat (well maybe can pinch half an inch) but i am of quite a big (muscular) build.

BMI = rubbish.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have lost 14KG (down to 82 KG )since last August and am still told:

You have a BMI of 26.6. A BMI of 18.5 - 25 is considered healthy

You are overweight. Losing 15.2kg would put you in the middle of the healthy weight range!!!!!! 65 kg!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have been on a project to become OVERWEIGHT... I have lost 3st 11lbs steadily since July last year - just through changing what I eat... and have 10lbs to go to reach my target :thumbsup:

That's excellent! Well done :)

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No and no.

BMI of 21.2, which is apparently in the healthy zone even though BMI is pretty useless.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bang in the green. 22. Exercising more than ever now and got shot of the bit of flab beers had added to my otherwise God like body. If I had done that test a few months ago it would have been worse, I was boozing, eating crap and living out of service stations and on the road for most of last year.
That all ended and decided to go on a health kick, lost a stone, and purged my diet of rubbish. Now I eat lots of chicken, veg, noodles with Kale, very little dairy, loads of water etc. It's surprisingly easy to get rid of crap in your diet. I was eating at least 1 Chinese take away a week plus other crap, especially when hungover. Now I only drink one night a week and then only if it's a nice occasion. I went to my local café and had bubble and squeak and a fried egg the other day, it tasted so fatty and salty after a few months of good food that I couldn't finish it. Your body quickly adapts to healthy choices and it's bloody grateful too!

As for exercise I either run, cross train, weight train, box and sword fight/stunt train most days whereas this time last year I sat on a tour bus eating pringles and playing Popmaster.

However, that test is only a rough indicator, you cannot get an accurate BMI from that. You need to do a proper electrode test in person to get anywhere near accuracy. That chart would have Mike Tyson in his pomp as clinically obese which is an indicator it's not to be taken 100% as reliable.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Isn't it strange that everyone over the normal BMI range thinks the index is rubbish. What were they saying about denial?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've put a lot of weight on over the last three years. I put it down to working very long hours in a very demanding job. Not always eating right and lots of traveling around. I absolutely love what I do, but I think if I ever want to find the time to get healthy I'd need to leave my job. I'm still not fat, but definitely feel too big for what I'm used too. Time to hit the running machine I think!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
God I miss CHEESE like Fred Durst misses 1996.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Came out exactly the same on both. What's the difference between them?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Came out exactly the same on both. What's the difference between them?

"Nick Trefethen of Oxford University's Mathematical Institute has identified a flaw in the basic formula for BMI, and has created a new calculation which he says better accounts for the relationship between height and weight.

According to Mr Trefethen, the current formula to calculate the score (weight/height[SUP]2[/SUP]) is incorrect because "it divides the weight by too large a number for short people, and too small a number for tall people. So short people are misled into thinking they are thinner than they are, and tall people are misled into thinking they are fatter than they are."

His new formula (1.3 x weight/height[SUP]2.5[/SUP]) is a better approximation of reality, because it scales more accurately as a person grows in height.

The result of the change is that shorter people under five feet might gain a BMI point, while taller individuals over six foot could lose one. "

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm slap-bang in the middle of the healthy range (21.4), but I'm not toned. I'd love to be able to get a bit of muscle and boost my upper-body strength, but I only ever seem to focus on cardio workouts and calorie-burning exercises.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm slap-bang in the middle of the healthy range (21.4), but I'm not toned. I'd love to be able to get a bit of muscle and boost my upper-body strength, but I only ever seem to focus on cardio workouts and calorie-burning exercises.

What's stopping you from hitting the free weights?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Overweight,but not too unhealthy I hope.
Swim 5 times a week,eat healthily,never have takeaways.Very little beer now,but I love my wine and cheese.....don't mention the Port!
Have had 2 knee replacements and also have spinal stenosis that puts the kybosh on long walks.
As a young man I was always pretty slender,but in mature years I have found it is a lot harder to shift the baggage!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What's stopping you from hitting the free weights?

I've bought a set of weights from Argos last year, and I try and incorporate strength training into my daily exercise regime, but I'm not really seeing any gains from it. Motivation in the long-run really is what I lack with increasing muscle mass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here