Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat? Do you think you're fat?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Still well over weight, but 2 Stone lighter than i was at the beginning of Jan. Bmi is 32.2

Wow, that's impressive - not ill by chance?! Seriously, any motivation tips?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I stopped playing rugby 4 years ago, so am carrying about 6kg over and above my usual 'fighting weight'.... just cutting back on the crap food at present, though beer of course still plays a key part, especially on Amex and Twickenham days. I am determined to get back into my speedos for my Caribbean cruise in November.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
**** me! I can't believe this. I'm 55, 78 kg and 174cm. I go to the gym 5 times a week and burn around 500 calories per session. I eat healthily, I only drink at weekends (red wine and a couple of beers), I'm 6 kg lighter than 2 years ago and the stupid website has calculated a BMI of 25.7 and told me i'm overweight! I'm not fat!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Wow, that's impressive - not ill by chance?! Seriously, any motivation tips?

No mate not ill, I'm 53 and play a lot of bowls, at the back end of last yr my back, knee and ankle were really playing me up during a game. As you can imagine some of my opponents are of a more elderly age, these old guys were coming off the rink in a better state than me. Thats what really hit home. And to be honest by losing that 2st I have felt a hell of a lot better, my aim is to shift another couple by the summer. I was 18.st 7lb now 16.7 so still some way to go but will be happy to reach 14.7.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Aged 55, 6ft 1, 12st 13lb currently, BMI 23.8.

Definitely carrying extra flab, could do with losing about a stone I reckon.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
BMI is pointless. It is only taken on weight and height. Most body builders would come out over weight on the BMI but there is hardly any fat on them.

This comment always comes up. The fact is most of the population aren't body builders or rugby players or some other overly muscled sport/ obsession. So for the vast majority of people bmi is a very good warning sign.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm fat round the middle and slightly overweight on the BMI scale. I also have a bit of a chin. I don't have an ounce on my arms or legs though. Very odd. Nearly as odd as the fact I lost weight when I cut booze out for a month. How did that happen? :moo:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
This comment always comes up. The fact is most of the population aren't body builders or rugby players or some other overly muscled sport/ obsession. So for the vast majority of people bmi is a very good warning sign.

I used that as an example, anyone that is active in their day to day lives will have a different body type compared to someone who just sits down most of the day.

There are much better ways of telling if your fat than looking at a chart that works on an average persons weight and height

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I'm fat round the middle and slightly overweight on the BMI scale. I also have a bit of a chin. I don't have an ounce on my arms or legs though. Very odd. Nearly as odd as the fact I lost weight when I cut booze out for a month. How did that happen? :moo:

Have you seen how many calories there are in a pint?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Actually it's not. You can eat a lot if all you eat is celery. You can do less if what you're doing is high intensity and builds muscle.

I've been on a calorie counting diet since New Year and have lost 18lbs. By keeping a food diary and tracking every calorie i have virtually cut out snacks between meals and I'm controlling portion size at meal times, no more extra potatoes . I have changed the mix of what i eat as well, less alcohol and if i drink usually a scotch or wine rather than a beer. I avoid processed foods and i' definitiely cut down on carbohydrates and fats.
So I have both cut down the volume I consume AND changed the mix of foods. Having said that i still have the occasional treat like a takeaway curry or a cake, just not as much as i used to.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
BMI is not a true indicator of "fat"

i'm 44

I can run a mile without stopping to walk
i play racketball 1 /2 times a week
i play 5 -side once a week

5' 8.5" 16 st = Your BMI is 33.6, which means you are in the very overweight or obese category

I like a drink(s) i like unhealthy food

i could do with losing 2st

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have you seen how many calories there are in a pint?

Yeah, in all seriousness I know exactly what the problem is. I just can't resist that lovely real ale. Or Guinness. Or wine. I have cut it down a fair bit but it's fair to say I'd rather carry a couple of spare pounds than do dry January again.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
This time last year my BMI was 30.6. I knew I was overweight but obese???

Down to 26 now, and aiming to get it down to 24 in the next couple of months. Training for a marathon is certainly helping.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Average I guess, I'm somewhere between a cocktail stick and an elephant. In fact closer to the stick than the jumbo, perhaps I'm bordering skinny then ? Or maybe just stark raving bonkers :mad:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This suggests the majority of people think that being overweight is normal.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26765078

What's your BMI? http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

I come in at 22.3. I reckon I'm overweight and flabby though.

You?

mmmm mine says 24.6 although it is healthy weight I know I have a buddha belly, I have cut down on loads of bread, pies sausages etc etc. Now I just need to exercise which something I dont have time for or cant find time for.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Yeah, in all seriousness I know exactly what the problem is. I just can't resist that lovely real ale. Or Guinness. Or wine. I have cut it down a fair bit but it's fair to say I'd rather carry a couple of spare pounds than do dry January again.

Likewise mate,have cut right back on the booze but still like a pint or 2 of real ale on a Fri night.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have been on a project to become OVERWEIGHT... I have lost 3st 11lbs steadily since July last year - just through changing what I eat... and have 10lbs to go to reach my target :thumbsup:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As had been said before, BMI is not an accurate measure of weight, everyone has different circumstances.

I'm 28, 5' 11" and about 14st 10lb (on last weight in) - so my BMI comes in at about 28, but i'm also aware that i'm quite 'stocky' due to swimming twice a week when I was growing up. I also try and go out on my bike as much as time allows and play 5 a side once a week. If i'm honest, i would like to lose approx 2 stone and tone up some bits but it's not a massive issue.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm on the cusp of being overweight at 24.9; although I have approx. 10% body fat and can run a 5k in 17.5 minutes.

Measuring health by BMI does have its limitations, but I think for the average person who doesn't do heavy weight training for rugby, body-building etc., it's a decent indication.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here