Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat? Do you think you're fat?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure I go with that BMI theory.

It's all culturally linked isn't it? Don't tell me 'science' isn't influenced by culture either.

Personally, I think we live in a culture and an age obsessed by weight and the desire to be 'slim'.

Happiness should be the real indicator of health. Unfortunately, we live in a society were that seems to be in short supply and mental health issues abound. Comes as no surprise to me.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Although it is quite easy for us teens to maintain a healthy weight so this is not surpising.

I feel for you oldies who eat a grain of sugar and put on a stone.

Although it is quite easy for us retireds to maintain a healthy weight so this is not surprising.

It's the office workers I feel for, I've never been so active.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I went to the doctors a couple of years back for something or other, I really can't remember what it was for but as part of it they took my height and weight. From it they deduced that on one scale I was classed as overweight, but using another scale/algorithm I came out as underweight. It was at this point that I realised that things like BMI are completely and utterly pointless.

I eat well, get plenty of exercise and I'm happy with the shape I'm in.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The secret to losing weight is eating less and exercising more

Thank you Ricky Gervais and if you ever get a chance to watch his sketch on fat people it is extremely funny.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
BMI is pointless. It is only taken on weight and height. Most body builders would come out over weight on the BMI but there is hardly any fat on them.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Bmi comes in at 37. I've been going to the gym 5 times a week since January but don't seem to be losing any weight, I guess I need to cut down on booze, bread and biscuits.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
BMI around 31 = OBESE = OMG

5'11" and 16St 8Lbs - its all on the belly, just one chin, no bingo wings, reasonably fit, gym 2-3 times a week - not so bad for 54 ?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I beat Anorexia !!!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
BMI 24.9 just about in the green band for healthy weight, only just.
Surprised a bit really 187.88 cm tall and weigh 81kg, but still only 33in waist.
53 years old, still workout and cycle regularly, looks like I will have to step it up a bit.
Pevenseagull must do a good Peter Crouch impression!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Actually it's not. You can eat a lot if all you eat is celery. You can do less if what you're doing is high intensity and builds muscle.

Better lay off the ginger beer though, eh.
Celery was my number 1 nomination for the 101 thread, 'king hate the stuff.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Bmi comes in at 37. I've been going to the gym 5 times a week since January but don't seem to be losing any weight, I guess I need to cut down on booze, bread and biscuits.

Lost my weight by cutting out bread, cheese,potatoes & pasta.I have a small bowl of Dorset muesli for breakfast ryvitas for lunch and a good dinner consisting of stuff like chicken breast,gammon,veg stir frys,plenty of salads. Have also been eating lentils and diffrent types of beans some of which I had never heard of but hey it seems to be working. Good luck if you give it ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here