Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you fat? Do you think you're fat?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've bought a set of weights from Argos last year, and I try and incorporate strength training into my daily exercise regime, but I'm not really seeing any gains from it. Motivation in the long-run really is what I lack with increasing muscle mass.

I'm guessing you're not lifting heavy enough with home weights; you shouldn't be able to complete more than about 8-10 reps in each set. Also, you should only need to do a fully body weight workout 2-3 times a week for optimum results (unless you do split body part workouts).

Most blokes should see noticeable gains after only 4-5 weeks when they first start weight training, if they're doing the right type of training. Best thing would be to join a gym with a load of good equipment and knowledgeable staff. And there is loads of information out there on the web!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I've bought a set of weights from Argos last year, and I try and incorporate strength training into my daily exercise regime, but I'm not really seeing any gains from it. Motivation in the long-run really is what I lack with increasing muscle mass.

You'll get gains by lifting heavy (as per the previous reply). You also need to consider whether which muscle groups you're hitting and the type of exercise to use, such as compound or isolated movements.

PLUS if you want mass, you'll need to increase your calorie intake. e.g eat lots of chicken, but not sugar.

If you don't want to shell out on a PT, then you could do worse than "liking' or following pages like Mens Health on Facebook. You could even have a look at their website. They have some decent routines/schedules that may help you.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/workout-program-0

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm guessing you're not lifting heavy enough with home weights; you shouldn't be able to complete more than about 8-10 reps in each set. Also, you should only need to do a fully body weight workout 2-3 times a week for optimum results (unless you do split body part workouts).

Most blokes should see noticeable gains after only 4-5 weeks when they first start weight training, if they're doing the right type of training. Best thing would be to join a gym with a load of good equipment and knowledgeable staff. And there is loads of information out there on the web!

You'll get gains by lifting heavy (as per the previous reply). You also need to consider whether which muscle groups you're hitting and the type of exercise to use, such as compound or isolated movements.

PLUS if you want mass, you'll need to increase your calorie intake. e.g eat lots of chicken, but not sugar.

If you don't want to shell out on a PT, then you could do worse than "liking' or following pages like Mens Health on Facebook. You could even have a look at their website. They have some decent routines/schedules that may help you.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/workout-program-0

Some great tips there, thanks guys :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
28...... That's bad. I'm 6ft 4in and weigh 16 stone 8 pounds. I'm always saying I must go on a diet and people always say, " but your not fat"
Well I am cos I got wobbly bosoms now. Going to shift a stone starting next week. I love beer so that will have to be cut down with somewhat. I do plenty of physical stuff at work so no way am I going to a gym. Maybe some cycling though.
15 stone here we come.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sprint training is better than hours of boring running btw for anyone who wants to lose some calories and is relatively young.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
6'5", 11st 2lb = 18.4

Just slipping into the "under weight" by 0.1. I've been the same weight since I was about 15 despite eating everything I lay my eyes on. Can never spend less that twenty quid in KFC!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
30+ BMI, Obese, but I run 3-4 miles 4 times a week before work and do 5m+ one evening and at the weekend, I don't smoke but I do eat more than I should and I am a classic binge drinker i.e. nothing for a couple of weeks and then lots in one evening.

Lost 5 stone in the last 3 years.

I have completed a couple of 1/2 marathons in the last couple of years and Great South Run. My weight has plateaued, but I am pretty happy with the way I am at the moment, because of my build I will never be a stick insect. Wouldn't mind losing a little more and moving into the overweight category.

Carles

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
If you really want to lose weight and struggling for it, Then you should contact Garcinia Cambogia Australia and consult them about your overweight journey and regarding problems, They will recommend you Garcinia Cambogia best weight lose pills and diet plans, So get rid from overweight depression by using Garcinia Cambogia.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
No I have a " gland " problem and I'm big boned :O

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
If you really want to lose weight and struggling for it, Then you should contact Garcinia Cambogia Australia and consult them about your overweight journey and regarding problems, They will recommend you Garcinia Cambogia best weight lose pills and diet plans, So get rid from overweight depression by using Garcinia Cambogia.

So you're saying there's no hope and nobody who can help?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

SPAM is always good!

Stumpy Tim

I've been on the 5-2 diet from three months. I lost a stone (from 14 to 13) in the first two months, hit a plateau for 3-4 weeks, but just started dropping again. It was tough to start with but I'm pretty much used to it now

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had a full medical (requirement at work every two years for the, ahem, (well) over 40s) recently. Was told my 'ideal' weight was 75kg - I'm currently about 82kg (just under 13st), so was officially catergorised as overweight with a BMI of about 26.5. I ran several marathons/ultramarathons last year so wouldn't say I was unfit relative to my peer group (looking around my office anyway !) but I'd say the target weight and BMI measurement are pretty correct - I would like to lose a stone, but I'm not sufficiently bothered. Problem is I like wine and nice food, and use exercise as a means to be able to indulge when I feel like it, trying to keep a reasonable balance. I was 18 stone before I started running with a 46 in waist, weight has been pretty much unchanged for the last 10 years now though

Carbs (not just potatoes, pasta and bread, but including sugar in all it's forms) are the complete enemy of anyone wanting to lose weight, not (good) fat. We're simply not designed to process all the carbs we eat (and they're not needed for long distance running either)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Carbs (not just potatoes, pasta and bread, but including sugar in all it's forms) are the complete enemy of anyone wanting to lose weight, not (good) fat. We're simply not designed to process all the carbs we eat (and they're not needed for long distance running either)

Agreed. I didn't need to lose any weight but I was a bit of a skinny fat person with a normal BMI but 18% bodyfat. That is now more like 10% and I've done it by cutting out all sugar, bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and using good fats as my main energy source + a high protien diet.

You can't do it forever but for getting yourself to a target it really does work (with excercise) and I managed to put a few kilos on in the gym. Once you're there you can then incorporate the carbs back in because they're nice :drool:, but you're better placed to do it in a way that doesn't turn you into a porker!

There's many different ways to skin a cat when it comes to getting healthy and every man and his dog will tell you you're doing it wrong because they prefer the way they did it. It's all about finding what works for you.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've been on the 5-2 diet from three months. I lost a stone (from 14 to 13) in the first two months, hit a plateau for 3-4 weeks, but just started dropping again. It was tough to start with but I'm pretty much used to it now

I tried this the last two weeks and not lost a single pound! I know i am not going to lose 1/2 a stone in a fortnight but a pound would have been nice! What do you eat/drink on the 5 days? Do you still watch what you eat/drink?

Edit: I did no real exercise, road bike to work a couple of days but I have done my medial knee ligament in, so cannot run etc. This may have been a big factor in not losing any weight in those two weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here