Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Music] Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

• Total voters

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Good luck with finding a chorus that isn't repetitivešŸ¤”

Iā€™m rarely a fan of the single line repeated chorus, but if I think about that song, all that comes to mind is that one line repeated over and over again, punctuated by the 80s ā€œAmerican Rockā€ snare sound.

A really repetitive chorus can be forgiven if itā€™s only used sparingly, but here (from my possibly faulty memory at least) itā€™s front and centre throughout. To misquote Orwell (or Morrissey for that matter) some choruses are more repetitive than others.

Mar 25, 2010
Cumbernauld
I have been to see Springsteen more than 10 times live and he always puts on a massive show. I started to listen to him when Born in the USA came out but found his earlier stuff so much more rewarding. I have listened to him ever since and like every body else, i havenā€™t liked every release he has given us. BUT, that is the beauty of his music, itā€™s not samey, itā€™s not just orchestrated drivel. Western Stars, for me was a brilliant album. Up there with Born in the USA but it was a different time, different place. The music has changed since Clarence Clemons passed away and Springsteen has got older but by god, what a performer!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Born in the USA, whilst bringing Springsteen world fame, was arguably his weakest album
Aside from the obvious it contains Downbound Train and No Surrender. Itā€™s no way his weakest album.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes. But not as much as I used to be.

I started listening to him when I was 11.

Darkness On The Edge Of Town was my intro to him and remains my favourite album of his .

Other kids at school and my brothers would rip it out of me for liking him.

Now everyone claims to have always liked him. Itā€™s kind of put me off a bit.

Iā€™m capricious like that.
Funnily enough I very much disliked him back in the 80s and 90s, because I had a very closed mind. Anything that bigged up the USA, or at least in my mind appeared to, was right off of my agenda. Now I realise that much of it was quite critical.

I am never going to be a super fan, but I am appreciative of a grafter that bangs out good old fashioned rock n roll and plays great long gigs, bit like the Foos perhaps? I really donā€™t think that anyone should be overly critical of Floyd. Technically accomplished with a back catalogue that changed popular music, but again I am never gonna be a super fan.

Sometimes we all should realise that whilst something apparently trendy and popular may not be our cup of tea that does not make it rubbish or irrelevant.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Funnily enough I very much disliked him back in the 80s and 90s, because I had a very closed mind. Anything that bigged up the USA, or at least in my mind appeared to, was right off of my agenda. Now I realise that much of it was quite critical.

I am never going to be a super fan, but I am appreciative of a grafter that bangs out good old fashioned rock n roll and plays great long gigs, bit like the Foos perhaps? I really donā€™t think that anyone should be overly critical of Floyd. Technically accomplished with a back catalogue that changed popular music, but again I am never gonna be a super fan.

Sometimes we all should realise that whilst something apparently trendy and popular may not be our cup of tea that does not make it rubbish or irrelevant.
Except for Morrisey.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Saw him yesterday at Hyde Park. The second time I've seen him there. Simply incredible. Bruce and the E Street band are in their 70's and play with more energy, passion, friendship, fun and respect to their audience than any other artist. I took my wife. She likes a few of his songs (ones that I can get on the speaker every now and then) but she had a simply brilliant time. So much so, without any prompting of me, she's been listening him all day.

They genuinely put on a show like no other. He is a story teller like now other. A performer like no other and I feel bloody blessed to have seen him live twice and can live with a dreadful Southern Train journey back at 2am. I get he might not be everyone's bag but the fact that some people say he's a 'bit meh' is ridiculous. Even if you didn't know all his songs watching him is amazing. Oh and I can't think of a better songwriter that includes so many different instruments and artists all truly valued by the Boss. Bloody hell, I could go on. So yeah he's better than Pink Floyd.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Too tired to read through this thread, apologies if already posted...

I noted this on the paramount thread, but seems equally relevant here; there are a couple of springsteen concerts on paramount+ now.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Saw him yesterday at Hyde Park. The second time I've seen him there. Simply incredible. Bruce and the E Street band are in their 70's and play with more energy, passion, friendship, fun and respect to their audience than any other artist. I took my wife. She likes a few of his songs (ones that I can get on the speaker every now and then) but she had a simply brilliant time. So much so, without any prompting of me, she's been listening him all day.

They genuinely put on a show like no other. He is a story teller like now other. A performer like no other and I feel bloody blessed to have seen him live twice and can live with a dreadful Southern Train journey back at 2am. I get he might not be everyone's bag but the fact that some people say he's a 'bit meh' is ridiculous. Even if you didn't know all his songs watching him is amazing. Oh and I can't think of a better songwriter that includes so many different instruments and artists all truly valued by the Boss. Bloody hell, I could go on. So yeah he's better than Pink Floyd.
This.

For me itā€™s the live gigs that make him

His albums are good and average and brilliant.
I donā€™t listen to them much at all

But we have tried to get to as many of his live gigs as possible over the years

Because he is the best live artist out there.

Iā€™ve been to so many gigs over the last 50 years by so many varied artists - all music genres on all sorts of places.

And honestly, there is nothing like a Springsteen concert. I canā€™t really explain why - unless you have been to one, theyā€™re difficult to explain.

Theyā€™re just so inclusive I think - itā€™s like being at a huge party - a celebration like the best wedding reception youā€™ve ever been to - but then at other moments, itā€™s like youā€™re at your best friends wake - tears rolling down peoples faces.
And sometimes it seems like a religious experience (whatever they are)

Anyway, probably wonā€™t get to another one now, but if you want to see what theyā€™re like - recommend the Barcelona 2002 gig on YT

And hereā€™s a vid showing a bit of whatā€™s itā€™s like being in the crowd.

Blokeā€™s a genius.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This.

Iā€™ve been to so many gigs over the last 50 years by so many varied artists - all music genres on all sorts of places.

And honestly, there is nothing like a Springsteen concert. I canā€™t really explain why - unless you have been to one, theyā€™re difficult to explain.

Theyā€™re just so inclusive I think - itā€™s like being at a huge party - a celebration like the best wedding reception youā€™ve ever been to - but then at other moments, itā€™s like youā€™re at your best friends wake - tears rolling down peoples faces.

Anyway, probably wonā€™t get to another one now, but if you want to see what theyā€™re like - recommend the Barcelona 2002 gig on YT

Blokeā€™s a genius.

I do get that but CMS used to run around more than any other Albion player Iā€™ve ever seen but I never rated him :lolol:

Same with Springsteen, I donā€™t care how much energy heā€™s got, how well he tells a story and how well his band play and involve the crowd. I just donā€™t like his shouty voice, soft voice or (most of) his songs :shrug:

How boring would life be if we all agreed about everything though :smile:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I do get that but CMS used to run around more than any other Albion player Iā€™ve ever seen but I never rated him :lolol:

Same with Springsteen, I donā€™t care how much energy heā€™s got, how well he tells a story and how well his band play and involve the crowd. I just donā€™t like his shouty voice, soft voice or (most of) his songs :shrug:

How boring would life be if we all agreed about everything though :smile:
Yep absolutely fine Icy šŸ‘
Like I say you have to have been there really

And thereā€™s a major difference with CMS

Springsteen has a talent and skill šŸ˜ƒ

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

Blokeā€™s a genius.

Thatā€™s a Suicide cover, quite an unexpected cover in my mind but great none the less.

Fortunate to have seen him live in the early noughties, he and the band were awesome.

Glad to note that some have listened to the lyrics of "Born in the USA".

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And thereā€™s a major difference with CMS

Springsteen has a talent and skill šŸ˜ƒ
....and no weird conspiracy theories.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
This.

Blokeā€™s a genius.

Couldn't have put it better. I've never, ever known of anyone disappointed with a Springsteen gig. I've known of many who don't rate him who've never seen him live, though.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Totally.

I was at Hyde Park on Thursday, another awesome gig. Seen him 15x now :rock:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I like them both, seen them both live, got all the albums of both ( I think)
I also really like the Temptations, Sam and Dave, Bob Marley, the Levellers, the Waterboys, the Stones, Elbow, Kate Bush,Paul Simon, James Taylor, and various others. I just enjoy good music.

I donā€™t think I completely dislike any kind of music, although the wailing women, Maria Carey, Whitney Houston, etc leave me cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here