Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

• Total voters

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I don't like Springsteen's music (not sure why, he's one of a small number of bands/singers who cross the line where I find them actively annoying to the point of needing to turn him off if one of his songs starts playing) but I've never understood this argument.
If an artist produces a song or album I love, why should my opinion of them change if that album came out last year or 30years ago? Particularly in the case of somebody like Springsteen whose reputation is in large part based on his live work, which by all accounts remains excellent.

I’m being slightly facetious, so don’t take me too seriously on this, however my counter-argument is that the world has not stopped turning, new music has not stopped being made. New artists have not stopped emerging.

If we allow particular historical artists to dominate, our attention is not focused on what’s happening now. Music has a massive subconscious impact on our worldview, if we don’t listen to artists who first emerged after the 1970s, the worldviews that we’re exposed to through music don’t move past that point either.

I’m not saying don’t have favourite songs or records, but let those cycle through time, finding new artists you enjoy. If an artist has released numerous poor records, then move on to other artists.

I’ve met so many people who’s musical tastes stop at about the point that @HWT’s start, for them it’s like no music was made after Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms was released.

I promise anyone so afflicted that there have been brilliant artists in almost limitless genres since then. Rather than reaching for “Born to Run” for the 400th time, challenge yourself to find something new that excites you. Still play those records that mean the most to you by all means, but remember they’re of their time, society is constantly changing (for good and bad) and hearing new voices reflecting on different situations is like reading a good novel or being introduced to a new favourite character, it’s a moment of personal growth.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to play “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” for the 7000th time.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The guy is a complete and utter god. Each and every one of us are fortunate enough to have lived through his life and times. His talent is a generational thing. We have been blessed to have been given the opportunity to witness it. I spent eons searching for the new Bruce Springsteen, or the new Jackson Browne, but came to the conclusion ages ago that I was pissing in the wind. Cherish the music. Such talent is unlikely to come around again this millennium.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You do not understand the meaning of the song. See my previous post.
Understood :thumbsup:
All I have in my head is him standing in front of the Stars and Stripes and the chorus.
My ex wife (before we got married) played the album to death when it came out, I hated it, she probably couldn’t name any other album by him before it was released and every Tom,Dick and Harry bought it….(apart from me)

See also Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Absolutely incredible live performer, I know that gets a lot of hype but it's justified and then some in my experience.

Bruce and the Band in full flow is a brilliant experience the likes of which I've never found elsewhere.
Agree 100%. Of those who've experienced a Springsteen gig, I've never known of anyone disappointed.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Understood :thumbsup:
All I have in my head is him standing in front of the Stars and Stripes and the chorus.
My ex wife (before we got married) played the album to death when it came out, I hated it, she probably couldn’t name any other album by him before it was released and every Tom,Dick and Harry bought it….(apart from me)

See also Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms.
Born in the USA, whilst bringing Springsteen world fame, was arguably his weakest album and title song. Ditto Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, yeah. Also Bridge Over Troubled Water, Let's Dance and Invisible Touch. All made a LOT of less commercial but IMO far superior music before that lot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Early Floyd were excellent - really liked them. Also saw them do one of the best live gigs I've ever seen (fairly early years, but well past Syd's time). As time went on, in common with most prog rock bands TBH, apart from the odd bright flash, they generally disappeared up there own. Haven't heard any recent stuff - are they still doing any?
Springsteen? - meh - never saw what all the fuss was about.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Born in the USA, whilst bringing Springsteen world fame, was arguably his weakest album and title song. Ditto Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, yeah. Also Bridge Over Troubled Water, Let's Dance and Invisible Touch. All made a LOT of less commercial but IMO far superior music before that lot.
I had all the Dire Straits albums before Brothers in Arms, still can’t stand it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Early Floyd were excellent - really liked them. Also saw them do one of the best live gigs I've ever seen (fairly early years, but well past Syd's time). As time went on, in common with most prog rock bands TBH, apart from the odd bright flash, they generally disappeared up there own. Haven't heard any recent stuff - are they still doing any?
Springsteen? - meh - never saw what all the fuss was about.
Nick Mason is touring their early stuff and doing a fine job of it, Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet is in his band. Syd and Rick are dead. Gilmour no idea, living in Brighton and letting his wife write twee lyrics on his solo albums? Roger Waters is still ranting against the world I think

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Nick Mason is touring their early stuff and doing a fine job of it, Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet is in his band. Syd and Rick are dead. Gilmour no idea, living in Brighton and letting his wife write twee lyrics on his solo albums? Roger Waters is still ranting against the world I think
All good, except that it's Gary Kemp, not Martin. :)

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Love Bruce Springsteen and Pink Floyd.
Bruce has always had a way of telling a working class story through a song.
Born in the USA was a great example. He’s a patriot in the old fashioned sense. Very 60’s political message for underdogs.

I love this Woody Guthrie tribute he did on his live album.

W3D

I'm Thirsty
Apr 21, 2021
Worthing
It probably is, but given that I was utterly put off by the repetitive nature of the chorus, I gave it no analysis whatsoever and dropped it straight into the pile of “songs I never want to hear.”

I regret to say that despite its good intentions, it’s going to remain there.
Good luck with finding a chorus that isn't repetitive🤔

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here