Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

Are you a Bruce Springsteen fan?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven’t, but if his best known single consists of him repetitively confirming his country of birth,

I have also never trusted anyone trying to appear massively patriotic.
You’ve misinterpreted what Born in the USA is about.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Well?

I’m not!

Going out on a limb I suggest those that hate Floyd love the “boss” :shrug:
The guy I mentioned on the other thread who had the complete Pink Floyd box set, also regarded Bruce Springsteen's run of albums in the 70s as the best of any artist he was aware of.
I'm largely indifferent to both, for what it's worth.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was listening to some of his later/recent stuff yesterday. American Skin (41 shots) is an incredible and emotive song. And the recording of Ghost of Tom Joad with Tom Morello is something else, that second guitar solo is next level.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I haven’t, but if his best known single consists of him repetitively confirming his country of birth, I suspected other gems might consist of:

“I was baptised at St Luke’s Church”

Or

“I was noshed off at the local park”

Or

“I was fined for speeding on the A303”

I didn’t feel I’d met anything that deserved further inspection. It all seemed a bit “Team America” for my liking.

You’ve misinterpreted what Born in the USA is about.
And so did the right wing Republicans who did not realise he was having a go at Reagan and the failure of the "American Dream" after Vietnam.
However, who bothers to listen to the verses

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Not a huge fan, but happy to listen to him . But I thought it was pretty well know the Born In the USA is anything but patriotic. It's anti establishment and anti Vietnam
It probably is, but given that I was utterly put off by the repetitive nature of the chorus, I gave it no analysis whatsoever and dropped it straight into the pile of “songs I never want to hear.”

I regret to say that despite its good intentions, it’s going to remain there.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don’t think I’ve heard anything he’s ever done except “Born in the USA” and it didn’t tempt me to explore any further.

I remember I did wish that he’d either stay in the USA, or go through passport control quietly like everybody else.
The most famous track but not at all representative of most of his songs. I’m not a massive fan of his albums but live with his band he’s an incredible performer.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I haven’t, but if his best known single consists of him repetitively confirming his country of birth, I suspected other gems might consist of:

Or

Or

I didn’t feel I’d met anything that deserved further inspection. It all seemed a bit “Team America” for my liking.

Massively missed the point of ‘Born In The USA” too, which is about as far from patriotic as you could get.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I like him a lot. Especially the older stuff that I heard on his album “ The River” . Anyone that rocks so hard on stage with a good band behind him is all right by me. Come to think of it I am not a Pink Floyd fan .......

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

Or

Or

Born in the USA is a critique of/attack on Amerucan culture, not a patriotic song at all. If you dislike him for that erroneous reason you might want to read the lyrics.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Massively missed the point of ‘Born In The USA” too, which is about as far from patriotic as you could get.

As covered elsewhere, I accept that this is the case, but that isn’t going to grant it a reprieve.

I wish Mr Springsteen well, but on the surface he seems part of an elite cabal of artists who (and I’m guessing here coz I haven’t heard anything Mr Springsteen released) last had a really good record between 30 and 50 years ago, but who are still held in an esteem that seems largely built on past glories, and not entirely deserved based on recent output. See also (whisper it) the Rolling Stones, and throw in the Eagles for good measure. I don’t hate any of them, but e.g. nobody ever needs to hear Hotel California ever again.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
As covered elsewhere, I accept that this is the case, but that isn’t going to grant it a reprieve.

I wish Mr Springsteen well, but on the surface he seems part of an elite cabal of artists who (and I’m guessing here coz I haven’t heard anything Mr Springsteen released) last had a really good record between 30 and 50 years ago, but who are still held in an esteem that seems largely built on past glories, and not entirely deserved based on recent output. See also (whisper it) the Rolling Stones, and throw in the Eagles for good measure. I don’t hate any of them, but e.g. nobody ever needs to hear Hotel California ever again.
I don't like Springsteen's music (not sure why, he's one of a small number of bands/singers who cross the line where I find them actively annoying to the point of needing to turn him off if one of his songs starts playing) but I've never understood this argument.
If an artist produces a song or album I love, why should my opinion of them change if that album came out last year or 30years ago? Particularly in the case of somebody like Springsteen whose reputation is in large part based on his live work, which by all accounts remains excellent.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Born in the USA is a critique of/attack on Amerucan culture, not a patriotic song at all. If you dislike him for that erroneous reason you might want to read the lyrics.

Already discussed, but I will happily and patiently continue to explain that Mr Springsteen will have to do better with his choruses if he wants me to listen to the verses. I accept that some love him. The world is a rich tapestry, vive la difference etc.

I also fully accept that I haven’t given this artist a proper chance, listened to a selection of his music and come to a fair and balanced conclusion. It’s ok, I’m prepared to miss out in this instance. I’m glad others enjoy his work, let those who believe gather together at his concerts and sing about current affairs such as the Vietnam war.

I will accept that the loss is entirely mine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t agree with this BUT aside from his recorded output he is a supreme performer and entertainer. He might not be your cup of tea, which is fine, but he gives millions of people a lot of enjoyment each and every year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here