Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are They Just Incredibly Thick?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
When did WW2 start though? 1937 or 1939?

The answer may well depend on where you live in the world. From a UK-centric view, then yes, of course, we are all taught 1939. But, as I understand, there are plenty of historians that would beg to differ, and with some reason. Japan's full scale invasion of China in 1937 was hardly a minor skirmish, even if we were not directly involved.

I am not an historian, and certainly no expert, so stand to be corrected. But there does seem to be a widely held view that, in Asia, WW2 started in 1937.

Quite simply, in potted fashion and not withstanding all the details, the war in Asia was not a world war, it was an Asian war. 2 years later when war was declared in Europe there was a European war. Once Japan attacked Pearl Harbour and USA officially became involved, the war became global (a world war) with alliances being formed and fighting between nations both in and outside of their own continents.

There are of course many more nuances to this but we don't have time to write a new reference book.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
All those people arguing about what date other countries use for the start of WW2 (and yes I know I muddied the water a bit myself) are missing the point: we're talking about the year that we in Britain accept is the start, which is 1939.

And without wishing to labour my own point too much, not being able to give the start and end dates of WW2 is nothing to do with education, intelligence or age; it just means you've been wandering around the country all your life idly wondering (if they registered at all) what all those stone obelisks with all the names on are.

Strange that.I thought the obelisks were from WW1,hence parading in front of them on 11/11,Armistice Day.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I am not sure how old you lot are, but one thing that is certain under 21s are at about 25% into their lives, some have not even had a job or left home yet, how the feck have they got ALL the understanding that they NEED to make an accurate decision on which party to VOTE for???

All they have learnt to that point is the stuff that has been rammed into their heads through Universities, where they have generally been groomed by Corbyn's bribes, he has been playing the long game and FIDDLING with our youth, who are incredibly vulnerable.
If this were done in a sexual way you would all string him up.

If you can't see that may I suggest you may be on the gullibility scale and open to be shafted by Comrade Corbyn and McDonnell?

Of course, it's down to you what you vote, but just think about it things can get a million times worse long term, don't be taken in by the short term bullsh*t.

Now the important bit, fantasise over Swinsons breast as you wish, but one thing for sure she won't be thinking of your penis.:hilton:

You are aware that just because someone might vote for Corbyn etc doesn’t make disqualifying them from voting. You could say the same for anyone who votes for Boris.

For the record I think Corbyn are McDonnell unelectable, saying that I have a similar opinion of Boris, reese ****ing mogg and gove.
The four idiots of the apocalypse and talking chimp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

You are aware that just because someone might vote for Corbyn etc doesn’t make disqualifying them from voting. You could say the same for anyone who votes for Boris.

For the record I think Corbyn are McDonnell unelectable, saying that I have a similar opinion of Boris, reese ****ing mogg and gove.
The four idiots of the apocalypse and talking chimp.

Whether you like Boris or not he a fantastic communicator such as Churchill was.

Just watching the way he bonds with people when he meets up with other leaders, is unique, the man is a phenomenon.

el punal

Going back to my original post of people showing their ignorance of what I deem to be general knowledge, there is another example.

A couple of years ago on Pointless two female contestants were teamed up, both in their early twenties. It was in the opening round and the question was “Name any country that has a coastline on the Pacific coast?” Fairly straightforward you would think.
I mean you’ve got the whole of the western seaboard of North, Central, and South America, and the same in Asia for countries with an eastern seaboard, and everything in between. In other words, lots of countries to choose from.

I was stunned, but not half as stunned as her partner, when Miss Vacant’s answer was . . . . Egypt! :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
334149.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Strange that.I thought the obelisks were from WW1,hence parading in front of them on 11/11,Armistice Day.
If you give them more than a cursory glance you'll see they also mention WW2 as well. The WW2 bit is admittedly smaller as the casualties were less, but it is there.

Phoenix011

Nov 28, 2018
There are many intelligent young people, but there are many that are still gullible as F**K.

There is no way the vast majority of 16-17-year-olds are old enough and have enough experience in life to vote at a GE.

This just proves why you should be a minimum of 21 years old as the brain and body have not seen enough life to judge such a decision.

Sorry for guys who are under 21 but you really need to get some life experience under your belt as many of your age group are gullible enough to believe in Corbyn and McDonnell and Swinson's breasts.

I fear the young have been groomed for far too long by Corbyn, the man wears a mask and isn't genuine.

As a young person, i find your patronizing tone insulting. I also don't think Corbyn has anything to do with it.

D

Deleted member 2719

As a young person, i find your patronizing tone insulting. I also don't think Corbyn has anything to do with it.

Sorry if I come across like that, but I have yet to meet an under 21-year old that has more wisdom and life knowledge than a middle-age person.

When voting for a party you need every bit of knowledge and life experience to make a good decision.

Whether you choose to whack a one-finger salute at me or not, I just find this logical.

Please don't fall for the same old bribes that will be thrown at you younger voters.

Be aware of the man that wears the mask of deceit.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton

As someone under the age of 21 I agree. The majority of people my age are sheep and follow what the majority of other people our age believe in without thinking for themselves. However not everyone and likewise there are large amounts of adults who don't know what there voting for really, but from looking at my mates and others around my age they don't really have a clue.

*Meant to of quoted the person I quoted was quoting ( [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] )

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry if I come across like that, but I have yet to meet an under 21-year old that has more wisdom and life knowledge than a middle-age person.

When voting for a party you need every bit of knowledge and life experience to make a good decision.

Whether you choose to whack a one-finger salute at me or not, I just find this logical.

Please don't fall for the same old bribes that will be thrown at you younger voters.

Jeez. I can see why you are viewed as patronizing. You may have life-experience but it is based on your life....which is not always going to be relevant to today’s world. Youngsters have lots of bright, smart and fresh thinking, mainly due to viewing the world in a different way to us. To just dismiss them like you have is arrogant in the extreme.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just going back to the original post, I wonder if time from the event has anything to do with it?

What I mean is, I was growing up in the 90's and I knew the dates WW2 kicked off and had some concept of the reasons behind it and from that a scant knowledge of WW1 but at the time WW2 was a shade over 50 years old so very much in that time frame. Now though, 1939 is 80 years ago. To a kid that's quite literally a lifetime ago. Beyond knowing that WW2 was a hugely damaging chapter in history is there really a need for them to know the minutiae of it? Unless they're interested in history specifically?

To put it another way, those of you in school in the 50's, how much did you know about what was going on in the world in 1870? How long did the Franco-Prussian war last? When did it start?

I'm not equating WW2 with that war in terms of scale or loss or anything and I'm not attempting to say kids shouldn't be taught about it because of course they should so that we never end up repeating it. All I'm trying to say, in a roundabout rambling way, that stuff that happened 80 years ago probably isn't of great interest to your average kid.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016

It's funny that you mention young voters getting 'bribed'. Of all the young voters I have spoken to they are much more likely to vote based on what they think is right rather than what puts the most money in their own pockets.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There’s a very good reason why Corbyn wants to lower the voting age. Anyone 21 or younger will not remember the horrendous times in the late 1970’s when our economy was on its knees , high inflation and strikes every month because the Labour Party at that time has no idea how to run the country. Fortunately since then labour governments have improved except that is for the current Labour Party which if heaven forbid they ever got into power with Corbyn and his henchmen, would drag as back into another winter of discontent and probably bankrupt the country.

I’m not a fan of Boris but there is no sensible alternative.

D

Deleted member 2719

Jeez. I can see why you are viewed as patronizing. You may have life-experience but it is based on your life....which is not always going to be relevant to today’s world. Youngsters have lots of bright, smart and fresh thinking, mainly due to viewing the world in a different way to us. To just dismiss them like you have is arrogant in the extreme.

Please don't think I have dismissed them, they are the future, they are serving their apprenticeships and when they have qualified, I think we can all say they have a much more overall understanding of how Britain and the world is.

If they have run their own business, I would instantly give them more credibility than being bottle-fed by a cooperate company.
But please don't underestimate what the older person has in their locker, some do keep in touch with modern-day life. :hilton:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Whether you like Boris or not he a fantastic communicator such as Churchill was.

Just watching the way he bonds with people when he meets up with other leaders, is unique, the man is a phenomenon.

Now I know you are having laugh. Boris can’t string a coherent sentence together, he talks gibberish. To even attempt to put him in the same sphere as Churchill is heresy. Churchill would rip boris a second ******** without a moments thought.

D

Deleted member 2719

It's funny that you mention young voters getting 'bribed'. Of all the young voters I have spoken to they are much more likely to vote based on what they think is right rather than what puts the most money in their own pockets.

So what do they feel is right???

Now I know you are having laugh. Boris can’t string a coherent sentence together, he talks gibberish. To even attempt to put him in the same sphere as Churchill is heresy. Churchill would rip boris a second ******** without a moments thought.

If Boris gets the chance a proper crack you may change your opinion, we will have to wait and see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here