Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are They Just Incredibly Thick?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I'm not saying it's wrong, just that the world has changed - how many young drivers can actually read a map nowadays?

It's a good point. When I was in my teens I had great general knowledge. Mostly from reading and being a couch potato watching morning educational programmes, quiz shows etc. Some stuff I don't even know how or why I knew. I have grandchildren and none of them know nursery rhymes or mythical characters like I did at the same age. It's all Baby shark and Peppa Pig these days. I at least read bedtime stories when they stay over to introduce some of the old things.

I'm now mid fifties and seem to have less knowledge about stuff.
But regarding maps I would study the map the night before a long journey, memorise the key road number changes and get to my destination no problem. I would never need a map for the return journey.

Since SatNav and Google maps my brain has gone soft, a bit like when calculators were allowed at school. I probably couldn't do it now.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
That was touched on by me. Very switched on kids like Greta are a welcome exception. I never criticise kids and young adults taking an interest in the world, caring about the planet. The more, the better.

You’re wrongly assuming that anyone who dares comment from their real interaction with recent graduates and kids, on their different interests from immersion in the internet age, also wants them to butt out of conversations. Not making any age and party political generalisations by any chance? I’ve voted Green since Lucas first appeared on the scene in my constituency.

I'm not, no. I wasn't specifically talking about you but making a general comment. Its extremely frustrating as a young adult to be told simultaniously to stand up and sit down at the same time.

Also, there are plenty of dreadfully ill informed old people around. You only have to pop into wetherspoons and be cornered by some of the regulars to find that out. I am not sure why this type of negative assumption is always aimed at young people? It seems a lazy generalisation to me.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
There are many intelligent young people, but there are many that are still gullible as F**K.

There is no way the vast majority of 16-17-year-olds are old enough and have enough experience in life to vote at a GE.

This just proves why you should be a minimum of 21 years old as the brain and body have not seen enough life to judge such a decision.

Sorry for guys who are under 21 but you really need to get some life experience under your belt as many of your age group are gullible enough to believe in Corbyn and McDonnell and Swinson's breasts.

I fear the young have been groomed for far too long by Corbyn, the man wears a mask and isn't genuine.

In that case I'd like to motion that all 60+ year olds (average UK life expectancy minus 21 years) are banned from voting as their 'life experience' is out of date and thus hold obsolete views.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are many intelligent young people, but there are many that are still gullible as F**K.

There is no way the vast majority of 16-17-year-olds are old enough and have enough experience in life to vote at a GE.

This just proves why you should be a minimum of 21 years old as the brain and body have not seen enough life to judge such a decision.

Sorry for guys who are under 21 but you really need to get some life experience under your belt as many of your age group are gullible enough to believe in Corbyn and McDonnell and Swinson's breasts.

I fear the young have been groomed for far too long by Corbyn, the man wears a mask and isn't genuine.

What a load of codswallop.

If you're going to use arguments like that then lets apply intelligence test to allow people to vote. There are plenty of people older than 21 who are too thick to analyse what to vote for.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
In that case I'd like to motion that all 60+ year olds (average UK life expectancy minus 21 years) are banned from voting as their 'life experience' is out of date and thus hold obsolete views.

Which are?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My history teacher said it started with the extremely harsh surrender terms set out at the end of WW1,lost territory and punitive financial terms.

Your history teacher should be differentiating between the causes of the war and the actual start. Following the armistice and treaty of Versaille, we weren't at war with Germany but the punitive conditions laid the foundation for the rise of the Nazis. We didn't declare war until 1939.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
In the USA, they are taught that World War 2 started in 1941. That was when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. As far as they are concerned, there was no war before that, despite the fact that many Americans were over here fighting for the Allies.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
An English friend recently told me that she had never heard of Marvin Gaye. I can understand, I've never heard his music (at a very long stretch) but.. Never heard of him??
That said, I probably couldn't name most of the vapid celebrities on the current media.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Sorry for guys who are under 21 but you really need to get some life experience under your belt as many of your age group are gullible enough to believe in Swinson's breasts.

You mean thats NOT how we are supposed to choose our new leader....?? Damn.....:rant: and Im not even under 21....

939-Swinson-634.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When did WW2 start though? 1937 or 1939?

The answer may well depend on where you live in the world. From a UK-centric view, then yes, of course, we are all taught 1939. But, as I understand, there are plenty of historians that would beg to differ, and with some reason. Japan's full scale invasion of China in 1937 was hardly a minor skirmish, even if we were not directly involved.

I am not an historian, and certainly no expert, so stand to be corrected. But there does seem to be a widely held view that, in Asia, WW2 started in 1937.

Or if you're American, it's 1941.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
In the USA, they are taught that World War 2 started in 1941. That was when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour. As far as they are concerned, there was no war before that, despite the fact that many Americans were over here fighting for the Allies.

My Uzbek gf mothers schooling was under the communist school system.
I was watching a documentary about the blitz whilst they were faffing about in kitchen and she asked me when it was and who were we fighting. I said that she would know it as the Patriotic War. She was genuinely shocked and said she had no idea we were in the war. Depends where you live as to what you get taught I guess

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
An English friend recently told me that she had never heard of Marvin Gaye. I can understand, I've never heard his music (at a very long stretch) but.. Never heard of him??
That said, I probably couldn't name most of the vapid celebrities on the current media.

You’ve never heard Sexual Healing or What’s Going On?

Earlier this year, I met a girl in London, who was originally from Latvia, but had lived here from a young age (she sounded English to me), she’s 24.

She told me she had never heard of Oasis :ffsparr:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I remember working in an office and finding out that not a single one of my colleagues had heard of Bessie Smith. I was so staggered by that I had to dash out for a pig-foot and a bottle of beer straight away.

Twenty years ago, I was a member of a French conversation class where we discussed French politics and current affairs. I was shocked to discover that not one of the other 16 people in the group (all of whom were supposedly up on French news) had heard of Zinedine Zidane - this was just a couple of months after France had won Euro 2000.

After that, I've never been surprised by what people don't know

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What a load of cobblers. There are plenty of older people who don't have the sense to vote either. It possibly evens out.

My younger daughter's father-in-law, who is in his '80s, has proclaimed to me that people don't like the Daily Mail "because it prints the truth". Anybody who is prepared to take what any daily Newspaper prints as absolute gospel all the time is suspect, but the Daily Mail...….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here