Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are They Just Incredibly Thick?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm 66. I have a wife who retired last summer after a lifetime in further education. Through that and through my own life/work I have come across plenty of young people - enough of them to know that a goodly proportion of them are WELL capable of thinking for themselves, of having good and reasoned opinions about serious issues and of having good and reasoned debate about it all.

Your comments about the education system and about young people having things rammed in to their heads are frankly ridiculous. The emphasis in education today at ALL LEVELS, the age of 5 upwards, would be to encourage kids to think for themselves and to find out for themselves. The education system has managed to stay on a reasonably even keel despite the efforts of feckwits like Michael Gove trying to impose his own agenda and enforcing the learning of dates in history, HIS own narrow view of what should be taught in English Literature and so on. Kids today are far more likely to question what people like Corbyn, and Johnson, and Rees-Mogg and Swinson and all of them say, and to work it out for themselves...…. unlike plenty of people with the life experience that you are speaking so highly of who are working with the prejudices built up over that lifetime and which they have never been trained to challenge - some of them believe what they read in the Daily Mail.

If that makes me gullible, then so be it. I like being gullible and would prefer that to wallowing in your level of ignorance and prejudice.

And I am not influenced by Ms Swinson's breasts in the least.

I am.
Watching PMQ's the busty Lib Dem stood up to speak and the more she got excited the more her nipples were straining through her dress.
When she calmed down they went back in again.
Also very sad that Heidi Allen is leaving, surely one of the prettiest and sexiest MILF MPs for a long time.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nah, no need to teach them how racism and intolerance can eventually lead to 50 million dead and the Holocaust. Completely irrelevant nowadays, what with major democracies producing presidents like Trump and Putin.

:lolol: it’s true, every generation has to **** up for itself! We are incapable of learning from history as a species because of the genetic code more commonly known as ‘arrogance’ :down:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wilson and Callaghan were truly awful, surprising that they didn't totally sink the Labour Party altogether.

Tony Benn in there screwing up everything also, he managed to pass that on to Hilary, who could almost single-handedly be blamed for the mess we are in now, and I suspect that he has also screwed up the future also unless we get a clear majority government.

Fecking Benns:wanker:

At least the first Benn fought a very hard campaign to keep us out! In fact back in '75 he was 'Project Fear' for the Yes campaigners.....

"You want to vote 'No' and side yourself with that horrible red-under-the-bed commie Russian loving Tony Benn, do you?"
"Oh, put it like that I suppose I'd better vote 'Yes' then."
"Yes, make sure you do - you don't want to be associated with commies."

.....and repeat several million times; it worked.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To be fair on UK history, I was never really taught it at school. Although that was under Thatchers regime (so much for a Golden Age) it was all "empathy" and recreating a spinning jenny with matchboxes or something.

I first went to University in East London in the last years of Thatch and did "Cultural Studies" for a year. For those unfamiliar with the degree it's basically a Marxist deconstruction of history. I went there because they let me in.

Once I'd got past:

1) The "University" being closed in protest at the first Iraq war.
2) The lectures not wishing to discriminate against those who couldn't be ****ed to go the library by photocopying all the articles and placing them in our pigeon hole (yes really)
3) Having no lectures for two weeks and just placed into dark rooms to watch videos of a left wing persuasion (yes really again)

We started having very very straight history lessons (Kings, Queens etc..) to give a contextual timeline against post modernist feminist homoerotic art history deconstructions of 17th century needlework lectures with an optional break out session to protest against masculine British Petroleum sponsored depictions of capitalistic dominance in the manufacture of ironic Coca Cola place mats.

I left after a year with a very very good grounding of the English Civil War taught by Marxists. Attack them all you like with their "funny ways", but they know their history.

If there are any ERG fans reading, I can re-assure you that I went to two other Universities afterwards and met some right old Nazi lecturers.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Nah, no need to teach them how racism and intolerance can eventually lead to 50 million dead and the Holocaust. Completely irrelevant nowadays, what with major democracies producing presidents like Trump and Putin.

I feel like all of what you've mentioned was covered in my "beyond knowing that WW2 was a hugely damaging chapter in history" bit.

You can be taught all of the really important stuff without having to remember the sodding dates :shrug:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Notwithstanding all the comments above, it is absolutely pathetic that not one of them knew such utterly basic general knowledge.

Surprised some of them didn’t say they weren’t sure it actually happened as you can’t believe everything you read.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think you only have to see the kind of c*ap that ITV's breakfast has on offer every morning, geared largely towards buying Nuts magazine, to
realise the level of intelligence and knowledge of a whole generation in this country.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think you only have to see the kind of c*ap that ITV's breakfast has on offer every morning, geared largely towards buying Nuts magazine, to
realise the level of intelligence and knowledge of a whole generation in this country.

The only time I have ever watched ITV during the last 30 years is if there is live football on. I mean, come on? ITV!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The only time I have ever watched ITV during the last 30 years is if there is live football on. I mean, come on? ITV!

I only change channels when there's some tedious, unintelligent, clueless, working for self-interest only, privileged politician on BBC avoiding questions and talking the usual nonsense (Keir Starmer excepted).

So quite a lot at the moment. Dinner Date is quite good.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I’ve just watched a BBC trailer for tonight’s episode of The Apprentice. In it the teams were asked to find an item ( a book?) pre-dating the Second World War. Lottie the Hottie was bang on in her team with both the start and end of dates. The other team -“How long did it last? It ended in 1945 or did it start then? It lasted four years didn’t it?” Blank faces all round. “Let’s move on to the next item.”

Is it me, of all the obvious dates in our recent history I would have thought that so called intelligent, professional people would know the dates of probably the largest conflict ever fought, and one that affected our country so deeply?

FFS!! :rant: :shootself

It doesn't seem to be important to the various education departments over a generation.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes - they ARE incredibly thick.

Not necessarily because they didn't know when WW2 started but because none of them worked out that if they walked out onto the street and asked passers-by it wasn't going to take too long before somebody would know the answer. Not one of them came up with "if we don't know the answer, let's ask somebody".

THAT thick.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If you give them more than a cursory glance you'll see they also mention WW2 as well. The WW2 bit is admittedly smaller as the casualties were less, but it is there.
Having paraded in front of more than a few,including reconciliation parades in Belgium with our German NATO allies,I am very aware of the names representing more than one conflict.Most of them,however,were funded and constructed to remember the massive losses of WW1.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Having paraded in front of more than a few,including reconciliation parades in Belgium with our German NATO allies,I am very aware of the names representing more than one conflict.Most of them,however,were funded and constructed to remember the massive losses of WW1.

Yes, but if you read my posts you'll see that the time of construction wasn't the point I was making.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I am.
Watching PMQ's the busty Lib Dem stood up to speak and the more she got excited the more her nipples were straining through her dress.
When she calmed down they went back in again.
Also very sad that Heidi Allen is leaving, surely one of the prettiest and sexiest MILF MPs for a long time.

Thank you Harry Enfield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here