[Albion] Anyone else think we are likely to lose both Moises and Alexis in the summer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If Liverpool don’t come up with the required cash - he isn’t going. Simple’s

All very well for his dad to comment on personal terms agreed etc, but meaningless if Liverpool will only pay 40 or 50MM
This is it. And there's a very good chance that Liverpool might be quoted say £75m (as a complete guess) by us and £50m by Chelsea for Mount, or £40m by Leicester for Madison and decide, Alexis might be the best player, but isn't the value for money.

The two things that make me think we have an excellent chance of holding Alex, Moises etc is the contract length and the lack of financial pressure to sell.

We might decide to sell because we want to prove the pathway to the first team, or we have huge confidence in a replacement, but crucially that will be on our terms and for the amount of money we want. If Alex goes it will be because it's right for the club that he goes, not because we were strong armed into it.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I am not convinced that Liverpool are a shoe in for CL next season at all. Man U will be awash with state sponsored cash and now have a good coach, same as Man City and Newcastle. Arsenal are a young team on the rise, maybe this season was a one-off, we will see but they will be there or thereabouts and I cannot see Chelsea having another disastrous season even though it would be highly amusing. Spurs are rubbish so they can be ignored. Then you have a cohort of upstarts which includes us.

If Ali Mac wants to go to Liverpool then he will go with my blessing but I think he can do better. We can re-sign him when we take 4th place next year if he still wants CL football. :albion2: :)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Unless the same story keeps being quoted by different people, AM is gone for £70m. It is not feasible to keep him and MC for financial reasons.

After breaking even on transfers in 21/22, we have a surplus of around £70m this season (see Transfermarkt). Having already acquired Pedro, the balance left of £40m is hardly enough to cover the transfer cost for extra players required to compete on 4 fronts (as RDZ boldly says) and the wage bill will increase significantly. Keeping both will see Albion well in the red for 23/24 so it suits Albion to cash in on Mac. MC is less certain, though reports are that Arsenal will go for him this close season, along with Rice.

Europa League is financially bad news; even the winner only gets £7.8m; winning a group game gets you £570k, hardly covering travel expenses for away games.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If Liverpool don’t come up with the required cash - he isn’t going. Simple’s

All very well for his dad to comment on personal terms agreed etc, but meaningless if Liverpool will only pay 40 or 50MM
An agreement was made he could leave this summer in return for him signing a new deal in October.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is it. And there's a very good chance that Liverpool might be quoted say £75m (as a complete guess) by us and £50m by Chelsea for Mount, or £40m by Leicester for Madison and decide, Alexis might be the best player, but isn't the value for money.

The two things that make me think we have an excellent chance of holding Alex, Moises etc is the contract length and the lack of financial pressure to sell.

We might decide to sell because we want to prove the pathway to the first team, or we have huge confidence in a replacement, but crucially that will be on our terms and for the amount of money we want. If Alex goes it will be because it's right for the club that he goes, not because we were strong armed into it.
All clubs shop for value, but clubs like Liverpool are more concerned with quality than anything else. If they decide Mount is worth £50m but Ale Mac is a little bit better, then I'd expect them to pay that extra 50% for the 10% improvement on Mount.

Anyway, I honestly can't imagine any of the world's wealthiest clubs balking at paying £75m for Ale Mac. And Liverpool tend to do things properly. They wouldn't mess or club or the player about IMO.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
An agreement was made he could leave this summer in return for him signing a new deal in October.
One would assume with the caveat "if a buying club meets our asking price"... Although I imagine that number may have been discussed with Mac Allister to avoid a Levy/Kane stitch up

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All clubs shop for value, but clubs like Liverpool are more concerned with quality than anything else. If they decide Mount is worth £50m but Ale Mac is a little bit better, then I'd expect them to pay that extra 50% for the 10% improvement on Mount.

Anyway, I honestly can't imagine any of the world's wealthiest clubs balking at paying £75m for Ale Mac. And Liverpool tend to do things properly. They wouldn't mess or club or the player about IMO.
Which is probably why Tony's valuation is probably higher than that.

Also on the subject. This would be good for us

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually think it is more unlikely now.

Mac to Liverpool? Apart from more money, why? But Caciedo to the arse would be good for him…

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Ali Mac said he wanted to go for CL - Liverpool are unlikely to get that now. So then it comes down to the money. Does he want to play in Europe with us and wait for his CL opportunity or go for a bigger salary, less game time and (arguably) a marginally better chance of CL the season after with Liverpool? I truly hope he stays but I feel it’s 50/50 at the moment based on Wages and fee.

Caicedo I suspect will go. Arsenal were very keen and I expect a gentlemans agreement was made that if you stay and play out of your skin, you can go in the summer. I know he had the post in January on Twatter but I believe that was agent manipulation and he has shown a perfect example of how to engineer a move rather than downing tools/f***ing off to Belgium/arguing with RDZ et al. He will be missed, but he goes with my thanks and best wishes.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You just don't turn down Liverpool. Maybe ten years ago, but not under Klopp. I don't like the club but you can't deny their size, their prestige. You can't ignore the kop or those 'famous European nights'.
Anyone who saw his interview after the game on Sunday will know he is off. He looked gutted, close to tears.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Absolutely no question Ali Mac will go imho: a guy who won the WC alongside Messi shouldn't have even heard of a club like BHA, let alone be playing for it!
:lol:
Caicedo definitely off as well. imho.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Unless the same story keeps being quoted by different people, AM is gone for £70m. It is not feasible to keep him and MC for financial reasons.
The same stories are recycled round all the time. Sometimes there's truth in it, sometimes not. Again, nobody knows Tony's valuation so unless he's verbally agreed it to Liverpool and they've leaked it, the stories are likely made up.

I also disagree it's not feasible. Running a football club isn't about breaking even every year. For some years we've had a surplus, for some we've had a deficit. Tony has shown that he happy to accept the risk of running losses in some years knowing that profit is just round the corner. Plus we can always sell in January if we've flunked out of the competition.

After breaking even on transfers in 21/22, we have a surplus of around £70m this season (see Transfermarkt). Having already acquired Pedro, the balance left of £40m is hardly enough to cover the transfer cost for extra players required to compete on 4 fronts (as RDZ boldly says) and the wage bill will increase significantly. Keeping both will see Albion well in the red for 23/24 so it suits Albion to cash in on Mac. MC is less certain, though reports are that Arsenal will go for him this close season, along with Rice.

Europa League is financially bad news; even the winner only gets £7.8m; winning a group game gets you £570k, hardly covering travel expenses for away games.
The figures you refer to are only the prize money.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Absolutely no question Ali Mac will go imho: a guy who won the WC alongside Messi shouldn't have even heard of a club like BHA, let alone be playing for it!
:lol:
Caicedo definitely off as well. imho.
I'm still convinced Caicedo will stay. We'll just tell him he needs one more season here and then he can go - and we'll give him another huge pay increase to soften the blow.

Then in 12 months from now, Man City, RM or Barca will want him and pay a lot of money to sign him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
course he would / will choose liverpool. even taking out the fact of massive wages , he's more likely to win trophies and qualify for champs league. Profile also raised and does well there then barca or real will come in.

Will wish him well when it happens and hope we use the money well.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'm still convinced Caicedo will stay. We'll just tell him he needs one more season here and then he can go - and we'll give him another huge pay increase to soften the blow.

Then in 12 months from now, Man City, RM or Barca will want him and pay a lot of money to sign him.

would be amazing and I'd be a lot more confident of a european push again.

I just cant see it though. Hope I'm wrong but In my min I've only got it 5% chance he will stay

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am not convinced that Liverpool are a shoe in for CL next season at all. Man U will be awash with state sponsored cash and now have a good coach, same as Man City and Newcastle. Arsenal are a young team on the rise, maybe this season was a one-off, we will see but they will be there or thereabouts and I cannot see Chelsea having another disastrous season even though it would be highly amusing. Spurs are rubbish so they can be ignored. Then you have a cohort of upstarts which includes us.

If Ali Mac wants to go to Liverpool then he will go with my blessing but I think he can do better. We can re-sign him when we take 4th place next year if he still wants CL football. :albion2: :)

There'll likely be 5 English clubs in the CL 2023/24, UEFA have revamped the competition.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
One would assume with the caveat "if a buying club meets our asking price"... Although I imagine that number may have been discussed with Mac Allister to avoid a Levy/Kane stitch up
But doesn’t that apply to all our players? I think there is an element of goodwill in place given his service, ultimate professional, leaving in a summer and probably wrapped up early like Ben White

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

This is ABSOLUTELY what he should do. Another season for us and I have no doubt he will be able to take his pick. I think City, PSG (utterly disfunctional but a big draw) and Real all come in for him. But, I think he'll go to Chelsea or Arsenal this summer, sadly.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The way I see it. We've got 3 players we'll come under big pressure to sell this summer. MacAllister, Caicedo and Mitoma.

I believe we could lose none of them. Or all three. In my head the chances of losing 0 players is about 30% and so on, see below

0 = 30%
1 = 40%
2= 25%
3 = 5%

I suppose the point i'm making is that just because the player wants to go and yeh, Mac probably would want to go to Liverpool, that is not enough for the deal to happen. The buying club will also have to part with an eye watering amount of money. That part of it is far from certain.

Remember, the club laid down the law on player power by refusing to sell Caicedo to Arsenal after his agents odd twitter episode in January. The players will only be sold according to the good old rules on supply and demand. And we need quality players for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports