Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another banning order.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fully agree. It’s funny how many older fans reminisce about the times when they “had a bust up with *****” and I think, no you didn’t we got a lift back from ***** with my dad”

Lol. The way some fans go on about the Goldstone you’d think it was this loud and rowdy seething cauldron of hate and vitriol with huge dust ups each and every week in Hove Park. Age truly does play tricks with the memory of some.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Personally I’d ban him for the rest of the season and put him on a warning for next, the slightest “flailing” and banned for the four years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair explanation. Where did I say you were 'wrong'? My question was 'whats her gender got to do with it'?

A natural inference to your question is that you are suggesting a gender bias within me. Otherwise, why were you asking?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Lol. The way some fans go on about the Goldstone you’d think it was this loud and rowdy seething cauldron of hate and vitriol with huge dust ups each and every week in Hove Park. Age truly does play tricks with the memory of some.

and when they glorify it by mentioning running around Hove Park chasing after other fans, I think that says it all....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is all down to bad stewarding. From my seat in the North I could see Villa fans abusing and goading people across the segregation for most of the game, they've basically picked the easiest target rather than do anything about the bigger group of away fans.

It looks like this bloke has reacted to the abuse and then been singled out by the stewards for having a go back. He's obviously felt aggrieved and refused to go quietly when they chuck him out but let the Villa fans get away with it.

He made a stupid mistake by not just leaving when asked and he's paid a heavy price with a conviction for assault because someone got struck in the melee.

It's an unfortunate situation and someone has made some bad decisions, I'm not sure that warrants any personal abuse or making him out to be the scum of the earth.

Bang on.

Thing is , they prob would of looked for the banning one way or other and the unfortunate kerfuffle has rubber stamped it.

"... it is quite clear that different stewarding standards were applied across ten metres of magic mesh".

Exactly. My point in an earlier post.

Far easy to target a handful of Albion fans, than wade through many Villa. Typical Amex policing .. a 100% clamp down on home fan misdemeanours, not so for a packed away end.

Club were right to ban him. If you act like a knob you have to take your medicine. If he still wants to, there's a way back for him after he's served his ban. Sad to see a man from a proper Albion family make a mistake like this.

Totally agree with those who are saying the stewards will always just find the easiest target. Their main concern is having an easy life, and for most of them, to watch as much of the game as they can whilst getting paid for it. None of them want to wade into a hostile away end, but they need to be seen as if they are doing something so they take the least threatening looking person from the periphery of what was going on.

No idea what happened as I wasn't there, but I imagine, the bloke got caught up in the (perceived) unfairness of him getting picked out, let the beer and machismo affect his better judgement and stupidly stood his ground as they tried to chuck him out.

Ridiculous banning. Admitted he was out of order and accidentally knocked a steward (gender irrelevant) so why a banning order? You could clearly see Villa had a load of goading knob heads by that segregation and caused most of the ‘trouble’. And they had what 2 arrests? What he said was fair enough - why don’t they sort the villa fans out. Seen incidents like this thousands of time - another overreaction for me.

He was acting like an idiot - was given the chance to stop acting like an idiot - and instead continued to act like an idiot. No sympathy from me.

I've quoted a number of posts ( there are more ) criticising the stewarding. All unfairly. First of all, stewards don't make up policy as they go along, they follow CLUB policy - so if people really think the stewarding is at fault ( I don't agree ) then maybe speak to Ady Morris rather then pointing the finger at the stewards. Equally the policy is to contain away fans not 'wade in'. And this policy is the same across most grounds in England. It's a safety thing. I'm sure the people moaning on here would be quite happy to wade into 50, 100, 200 away fans with a handful of their mates ! Home fans on the other hand tend to act as idiots in ones or twos - far easier to deal with and generally they have more to lose. Even then, ejections generally happen at half time rather than during play and many things are dealt with post match. It's as not to antagonise other fans that might then kick off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He was acting like an idiot - was given the chance to stop acting like an idiot - and instead continued to act like an idiot. No sympathy from me.

I've quoted a number of posts ( there are more ) criticising the stewarding. All unfairly. First of all, stewards don't make up policy as they go along, they follow CLUB policy - so if people really think the stewarding is at fault ( I don't agree ) then maybe speak to Ady Morris rather then pointing the finger at the stewards. Equally the policy is to contain away fans not 'wade in'. And this policy is the same across most grounds in England. It's a safety thing. I'm sure the people moaning on here would be quite happy to wade into 50, 100, 200 away fans with a handful of their mates ! Home fans on the other hand tend to act as idiots in ones or twos - far easier to deal with and generally they have more to lose. Even then, ejections generally happen at half time rather than during play and many things are dealt with post match. It's as not to antagonise other fans that might then kick off.

It’s not personal against the stewards at all. They’re doing a sometimes hazardous job for probably low money.

The Club Policy seems to be zero tolerance against transgressing home fans, but a more laissez faire attitude towards stuff in the away end. Why? The club have the resources in police, stewards, CCTV and intelligence from visiting force police officers to be immediately tough on any away fans inciting trouble or abusing. There’s no reason to be intimidated by an all seater away end in a modern stadium.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Something wrong with a 70 year old?

Majority got more wisdom and life experience than you no doubt irrespective of what they read.

You're making yourself look as bad as him.

You missed the Sanatogen, Spam and dispair bit. And the daily Mail bit. Is your eyesight failing? ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s not personal against the stewards at all. They’re doing a sometimes hazardous job for probably low money.

The Club Policy seems to be zero tolerance against transgressing home fans, but a more laissez faire attitude towards stuff in the away end. Why? The club have the resources in police, stewards, CCTV and intelligence from visiting force police officers to be immediately tough on any away fans inciting trouble or abusing. There’s no reason to be intimidated by an all seater away end in a modern stadium.

Personally, I’m not aware of “a more laissez faire attitude“. I’ve certainly seen articles about away fans getting ejected and/or nicked. Ultimately though, the stewards and security are there to maintain safety, so if it is deemed easier to keep the peace by nicking a home fan for being a ****, ahead of an away, then so be-it; I can understand this. The moral of the story is don’t be a tit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I think you've missed part of my point - to control say 200 away fans in a tough way risks the other away fans joining in. It takes A LOT of resources to control 200 fans and away fans tend to be the hard core fans and so more likely to kick off in that type of situation. Containment stewarding is proven to be the safest method of stewarding in these cases - why risk injuries to stewards ( minimum wage most of them - and in many cases only doing the job to top up their income from their main job ) and police officers ( who would be better deployed the next day for real policing .... just as long as they weren't injured at the football ). Why put people at unnecessary risk ? Maybe you could get say 10 of your mates together, the club could give all of you a hi-vis, and away you go. Let's see how easily you deal with 200 away supporters intent of provocation and standing up. Good luck :thumbsup:

PS - I'll add, why do you think the club don't put any real effort into getting the NS to sit down ? Yep, because it would risk the safety of their staff.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Personally, I’m not aware of “a more laissez faire attitude“. I’ve certainly seen articles about away fans getting ejected and/or nicked. Ultimately though, the stewards and security are there to maintain safety, so if it is deemed easier to keep the peace by nicking a home fan for being a ****, ahead of an away, then so be-it; I can understand this. The moral of the story is don’t be a tit.

I’m not disagreeing with that, I’ve never been in trouble with the police or club myself, so my standpoint isn’t from liking a bit of trouble.

I just want clubs to be equally heavy handed with “tits” in the away contingent. No ifs, no buts.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I laughed at that.

I wonder whether those trying to pass this off as the club and the law being heavy handed are the same people sneering at Philip Schofield and his 'cynical manipulation of the media to boost his flagging career' . . . . anyone arrested at the football is a victim, anyone who comes out is a wrong-un. :shrug:

Harry I enjoy a lot of your posts and agree with most but the reality in this case is usually the opposite. How many people have been wrongly/harshly treated at the football in a way that they wouldn't elsewhere? I saw a bit of this from my seat in the west and the Villa fans were as bad. That doesn't excuse anything and I didn't see the specific incident just the general rumpus so I won't comment on guilt. But there are hundreds of people who have been wrongly treated by the Police at football. I'd suggest the FSF website for some examples. In my 45 odd years of going home and away I've seen more than a few examples of exactly that.

And FWIW I have no interest in who Phillip Schofield sleeps with whatsoever. :D

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think the comparison with stewarding of the Villa fans is irrelevant. ‘It’s not fair’ is an argument for whiny teenagers, not a 27 year old grown man.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the comparison with stewarding of the Villa fans is irrelevant. ‘It’s not fair’ is an argument for whiny teenagers, not a 27 year old grown man.

We’ve sat in the SE and SW corners where for example c.55 year old Derby fans were abusing Albion supporters including the elderly. Even the scummers wives were embarrassed, telling them to stop. Stewards saw it all, but nothing was done. That’s wrong.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We’ve sat in the SE and SW corners where for example c.55 year old Derby fans were abusing Albion supporters including the elderly. Even the scummers wives were embarrassed, telling them to stop. Stewards saw it all, but nothing was done. That’s wrong.

Agreed, completely wrong, but it is a separate issue. It does not give home fans license to behave like idiots.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry I enjoy a lot of your posts and agree with most but the reality in this case is usually the opposite. How many people have been wrongly/harshly treated at the football in a way that they wouldn't elsewhere? I saw a bit of this from my seat in the west and the Villa fans were as bad. That doesn't excuse anything and I didn't see the specific incident just the general rumpus so I won't comment on guilt. But there are hundreds of people who have been wrongly treated by the Police at football. I'd suggest the FSF website for some examples. In my 45 odd years of going home and away I've seen more than a few examples of exactly that.

And FWIW I have no interest in who Phillip Schofield sleeps with whatsoever. :D

OK fair enough. Having been roughed up by the old bill in the past I realise that authorities aren't always perfect, but nevertheless, in this case, it is the punishment that may be harsh rather than the bloke himself being completely innocent, if you see what I mean.

Anyway, must rush - football becons!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
and why do you think that might be?

Football fans (not all) in the 70's used to act like complete bellends who thought they were tough needing to be in a group of 50+ others to have a fight. They used to turn up to games and hope something kicked off more than in hope of an entertaining match. It makes sense not to allow people like that near alcohol. I really doubt they would been head strong enough to handle the stuff, especially in their seats.

Surely you can see now that they were just a bunch of kids stuck in adult bodies unable to figure out a healthy way of growing up and having fun. They thought having a fight knowing they had a big group of people behind them might make them look more of a man than what was going on in their heads.

Tough people just fight. They don't need all the pathetic bravado which comes with football fist wavers. These bellends just want people to presume they're tough, thats all it is. Its not them being brave, fearless and heroic. It's them piping up knowing they can't get too hurt considering the circumstance of the security and the pansies they're going to be pretending to fight with.

Football fans have come a long way since those days. The childish nature of these knobs has at long last been identified and not glorified by the modern day fans with most people just seeing them as clowns. God knows how there was so many of them back in the 70's but thank god the new generations of fans grew up and saw through the childlike entertainment these bell ends were hunting for.

I’ve never quite understood this idea that a maximum of one pint per half in people’s seats would somehow cause people to start running amok, where as the 8 pints before a game and one (or sometimes) two downed quickly at half time fortunately save us from this alcoholic rage.

Being able to take a beer to your seat would stop the ridiculous half time rush, meaning less people leaving on 35 minutes, it would improve the atmosphere and build up leading up to kick off, and it would stop people necking it like it’s going tour of fashion at half time, which then makes people more likely to behave badly.

It’s an absolutely ludicrous rule that was brought in without being thought about, and makes absolutely no difference to the situations it is designed to combat.

It’s like when they stopped people being able to drink on the tube to stop bad late night behaviour on it. Right, so it’s the maximum of the one beer you could have on your 25 minute tube journey that makes you behave like a knob, and not the 12 pints you’ve had on your night out. Nonsense.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

If he used that rather than you surmising. But it’s a valid argument for any age if you’ve been wrongly accused or harshly dealt with. Hope nothing has happened to you with serious repercussions like this but when it does, you’ll be saying similar I guarantee.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve never quite understood this idea that a maximum of one pint per half in people’s seats would somehow cause people to start running amok, where as the 8 pints before a game and one (or sometimes) two downed quickly at half time fortunately save us from this alcoholic rage.

Being able to take a beer to your seat would stop the ridiculous half time rush, meaning less people leaving on 35 minutes, it would improve the atmosphere and build up leading up to kick off, and it would stop people necking it like it’s going tour of fashion at half time, which then makes people more likely to behave badly.

It’s an absolutely ludicrous rule that was brought in without being thought about, and makes absolutely no difference to the situations it is designed to combat.

It’s like when they stopped people being able to drink on the tube to stop bad late night behaviour on it. Right, so it’s the maximum of the one beer you could have on your 25 minute tube journey that makes you behave like a knob, and not the 12 pints you’ve had on your night out. Nonsense.

100% this. Also, I hate the way when theres a bit of trouble all fans must be drunk, even if you’ve had a pint you’re deemed drunk. It’s the easiest way to convict a football fan. Just mention they’ve been drinking and that’s it. Guilty as charged, no more questions your honour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here