Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And they call us deluded....plans to redevelop Selhurst

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Good luck to Palace getting a new ground/improving Selhurst. Its old, dilapidated and needs an improvement.

At least they are using legitimate money for it.

Feb 14, 2010
Too many Albion fans are willing to bleat on about Gillingham, Withdean, shit players, the fourth division etc. We can be proud of that but it doesn't mean we're superior to Palace fans, because they've never had the chance to get involved in similarly grim scenarios.

Palace averaged 17,300 last season. If we were playing in a shit stadium and a division we'd been in for most of the last 30 years I doubt we'd have done much better. Thankfully we're on the up and playing in a beautiful stadium, which attracts thousands of kids/women/part-timers who will only turn up if the facilities are good. Palace would also be pulling in 25,000-30,000 if they had an Amex plonked down in the middle of Croydon.

They averaged 17300 with a capacity hardly ever reached and 2for 1 deals and kids for a quid. Brighton sold out many times last year and its ground was not big enough. Those are the facts. They had 14000 paying to get in most weeks, disgraceful for sucha good season, but yes I do agree Palace should be pulling 25,000 to 30000 as there is nothing wrong with Selhurst, it really isnt 140 miles away at Gillingham and its not Withdean either, its a proper ground.

eagles #1

May 7, 2004
London
Ah the Palace myth about not filling Withdean. First 3/4 seasons was sold out by season ticket holders. Last season sold out except away fans and a couple of poor seasons in the lower leagues with no roof and a cycle track the Albion till would get 6500/7000. This after 20/30 years of lower league football and Gillingham. What is the Palace excuse, you have been in the top flight for 30 years, had a cup final, play off finals the works and still they stay away. You are right tho, after your insolvency you have just banked £120 Million, disgraceful really.

I actually couldn't give a shit about attendances but thanks for posting that :D Maybe the excuse is that Selhurst is very run down and a 'dump' as most of you like to point out on a regular basis. Maybe if we had a shiny new stadium our attendances would be better, like yours have improved since getting the AMEX? Maybe they wouldn't.

Personally I don't care whether my seats are wooden or padded, I can't remember the last time I sat down at a football match. I don't care whether the bogs are ankle deep in piss, I don't care if the food outlets are shit or if the bars serve the very best ales. Some people do though. Fair enough.

Feb 14, 2010
I actually couldn't give a shit about attendances but thanks for posting that :D Maybe the excuse is that Selhurst is very run down and a 'dump' as most of you like to point out on a regular basis. Maybe if we had a shiny new stadium our attendances would be better, like yours have improved since getting the AMEX? Maybe they wouldn't.

Personally I don't care whether my seats are wooden or padded, I can't remember the last time I sat down at a football match. I don't care whether the bogs are ankle deep in piss, I don't care if the food outlets are shit or if the bars serve the very best ales. Some people do though. Fair enough.

There is nothing wrong with Selhurst, its not a "dump", crickey mate you should have been to some of the grounds Ive been to. As for not caring about your support, well you are a strange kind of football fan if so, but one thing is for sure, your Chairman really does wish he had the support that Brighton have got. Just read the BBC, talking about us in all but name.

Feb 14, 2010
This is twaddle I'm afraid. We sold out last season because we have thousands of people who did not attend BHAFC matches until 2011,

Do you really believe that and are you a bit new to this club? My family a part of 30,000 crowds despite playing 3rd and 4th division football. Did you see that thread about Brighton / Shef Weds head to head attendances when we played each other. That said it all really. Palace agreed should hgave a good support, they have no excuse, after the success they have had in the last 30 years but you know, they just failed to turn up this year, and mate, there really isnt anything wrong with Selhurst and their transport links are at the moment much better

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Depressing ****ing thread about Palace again its making us look like proper bitter tinpot wankers.

No. No it doesn't.

All it DOES do is make a handful (if that) of people sound bitter & stupid. It's a similar story if you look at most threads on any other team's forum.

ps I heard Steve Parrish on Talkshite too (yesterday): & I was pleasantly surprised by how well he came across. Fair play to him.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
OK, living quite near difficult to predict what would happen to their attendance with a new stadium. This is London remember, people move here from all over the country and of course all over the world. Plus there a quite a few teams.

Our average attendance in the Championship was bigger than Fulham's in the Premier League.

Doubt Palace would ever see 40,000 through the door.

Each club has it's own story, it's own advantages and disadvantages. My personal opinion of that ground in the championship, they got the pricing all wrong.

If I was the owners now, I would definitely spend as little as possible and use the cash to redevelop the ground. I wouldn't take the risk of relegation with no improvements in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
No, I'm not new, but clearly a lot of people are. Between 1995 and 2011 I was the only person in my family who watched a single Albion match, now my family has EIGHT season ticket holders. There don't have to be too many cases like this before you start filling a lot more seats. The Albion haven't had 30,000 crowds since the 1970s. Do you really think the people at The Amex are those same people returning after almost 40 years away? No chance. They are families, children, women, people who have never even considered going to football before but now have the bug due solely to the fact they can do so in a magnificent stadium. It's a credit to the club that they have reached out to these people and hopefully they will stay on board for many years, but let's not pretend our diehard element is any more than 7,000. In Withdean, we were given the ultimate test of loyalty, and the results show that is all we have. If Palace were put in the same situation the story would be much the same as ours. Just like it would if they got a brand new stadium.

Again that is nonsense. Football is passed from Great Grandfather to grandfather to father to son. That is why the Albion with its historically large fanbase (just read the head to head Shef Weds game thread) always was going to fill the Amex. Quoting the last 30 years when 20 of them were played in Gillingham and Withdean is more than misleading and you know it. The facts are that Palace in a promotion year to the top flight had 14000 paying punters, plus free tickets given away. The excuse I hear is Selhurst which is plainly twaddle as there is nothing wrong with it. It has fur sides, a roof on each stand and actually, its a proper football ground with better transport links than ours. They just have failed to support their team. Would Palace travel 140 miles to watch a bottom of the 4th league clash against Doncaster at Gillingham ? Frankly mate, I doubt it. Brighton did because it has a regional identity and the Albion are very lucky as a result,. The problem with the Albion is that its players, managers and (except for now) board have let it down throughout its history. Palace have achieved so much on the field over the last 30 years but where are the fans for a Tuesday night midweek fixture in the second division? Answer - not at Selhurst

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here