Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam Travel Advice Please

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I love European trains including from London. But many folk, unlike us, have to watch every penny when travelling. Hence vast numbers fly to Amsterdam from SE England.

But many don't factor in their addiction to their cars and what it costs them, fuel, parking and depreciation.

Smug I know, but when I got to Spain (for instance) I use the public transport to get everywhere.

That's from living in London I know, but I'm still amazed at the people I speak to back in Sussex who will happily drive somewhere with all the hassle rather than get on a train.

I used to go to Amsterdam every year, often staying in the worst hotel I have ever stayed in Luton to get the flight early.

Sod that, book the train early. You get there and back fresh and back rather than losing at least a day each side with the sodding airport.

And that airport in Amsterdam is a sodding airport. I hate airports.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
British Airways can do an early flight from Gatwick on the 8th giving a full day in Amsterdam plus an evening flight on the 11th, making it 4 full days in essence, and are charging £235.94 return for us both.

Re: Eurostar… just checked and sadly it’s FROM £572.00 return for the pair of us, plus commute and travel across London rather than simple train to Gatwick. I really can’t justify that much of a difference. If it was £50-£100 more I probably would, but the price difference is the 3 nights hotel cost.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. Suggest you stay in Haarlem and use the train to travel in to Amsterdam. The journey lasts about 15 minutes. It's cheaper, cleaner, less frenetic and less sleezy. You have to book the Van Gough museum and The Anne Frank house on line. You can't pay on the day. Unfortunately you'll be lucky to get a slot this side of Christmas.
Thanks for the tip. I think we want to stay close in town, so we can be leisurely and have a base centrally in case we need a nap(!). Appreciate the suggestion and especially the advice re: the museums, only a couple of slots remaining while we are there so will not delay in booking this, esp Anne Frank House.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Haven't had time tor read the whole thread but :

- Anne Franks House is a sobering yet uplifting experience. As others have said book, online, well in advance
- Almost everywhere is walkable
- Van Gough is good but yet again book in advance also it is a HUGE place to expect to be there a while
- For a bit of amusement / tackiness try the Sex Museum, two minutes walk from Central Station
- Boat trips are great, make sure you get one that offers drinks !
- If you like seafood then despite being a chain The Seafood Company can't be beaten for value
- Suspect it might be the wrong time of year but the Flower Market is worth a walk through
- At the Central Station end of the Flower Market try something from the herring stall. Little wooden hut on the bridge. Great for a snack.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Been to Amsterdam more times than I forget. Usually around this time a year for a conference. Probably been almost 20 times.

If you have your flights so be it, but even living very near Gatwick - the train is so much less stressful. Especially with that huge airport in Amsterdam.

SO

Hotel - looks reasonable. Next weekend when they have their biggest exhibition, rates can easily double.

Transport from the airport (if you must). Very very easy. Quick train to Central.

Also this time of year, is the best time to buy tulip bulbs. Get yourself down to the flower market (just south of the centre) and plant them in the Autumn, if that's your thing.

Avoid the centre for eating (like most large cities). Few mins walk way should find something nice, but do your research first. Try and hunt down some nice Indonesian food,

There is a reason there aren't many Dutch restaurants outside of Holland.

Things to being back:

1) Aged Gouda - get it in the one their shops. It's more expensive in the airport.

2) Tulip Bulbs to plant in the autumn. The flower market is easily walkable from your hotel.

3) Avoid the tourist trap chocolate biscuit nonsense with all the queues.

There is a supermarket chain Albert Heijn that is everywhere, can get everything in there. Shops can close early and Amsterdam outside of the centre is a bit old fashioned on a Sunday.

NoT-one goes to Amsterdam for the food. If you find it disappointing, so did everyone else.

- Anne Franks House is a sobering yet uplifting experience. As others have said book, online, well in advance
- Van Gough is good but yet again book in advance also it is a HUGE place to expect to be there a while
- For a bit of amusement / tackiness try the Sex Museum, two minutes walk from Central Station
- If you like seafood then despite being a chain The Seafood Company can't be beaten for value
- Suspect it might be the wrong time of year but the Flower Market is worth a walk through
- At the Central Station end of the Flower Market try something from the herring stall. Little wooden hut on the bridge. Great for a snack.
No mention of the brown cafes? lol.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Ahead of time but intend to drive for the match in November, making it a 5 or 6 day trip around our EPL games.
My questions are-
What is it like for cars in Amsertdam (silly question) and so is there a long term P&R on the outskirts with easy transport in?
Best area to stay as a tourist?
Terrible. Not a car friendly city. Park and rides you can find here: https://www.amsterdam.nl/en/parking/park-ride/. I'd say the Olympic Stadium or VMC would be the best or Sloterdijk.

For the best area: Hard to say, the closer to the central station the better in my opinion. But public transport is so good you can pretty much stay anywhere absolutely fine. I'd avoid staying in Bijlmer and Nieuw-West.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Might be stating the bleeding obvious but as you mentioned you hadn't been abroad for a few years make sure your passport is in date and has at least 3 months left!!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
From the date of issue!! A family staying near us here in SW France had their grown up daughter banned from a flight last month as she didn’t have enough time left from the passport date of issue , as opposed to the passport expiry date.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
We have an office there and I go 3 - 4 times a year, either stay in the Amsterdam Schiller hotel in Rembrandtplein which is in a good location if you fancy a beer after work or in the Hotel Arena in Oosterpark to be in a nicer, quieter area.

Getting about is easy, very good metro system which is cheap to use too but walking is my preferred option as it's a wonderful city to explore.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
.. but so much easier.

It's amazing how you put up with the time difference when

1) You remove two airports from the equation
2) It's city centre to city centre (not out of city airports)
3) You can stretch your legs without being assumed a terrorist threat
4) You can charge your stuff. It has WIFI and but also a local server that streams the odd stuff.
5) You can walk to the bar and have a beer. Then walk back to your seat.
6) You can sit in another free seat if some is annoying you.
7) Your luggage stays with you or near you.
Much much easier than flying in my opinion

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
British Airways can do an early flight from Gatwick on the 8th giving a full day in Amsterdam plus an evening flight on the 11th, making it 4 full days in essence, and are charging £235.94 return for us both.

Re: Eurostar… just checked and sadly it’s FROM £572.00 return for the pair of us, plus commute and travel across London rather than simple train to Gatwick. I really can’t justify that much of a difference. If it was £50-£100 more I probably would, but the price difference is the 3 nights hotel cost.
You need to change at Brussels and get separate tickets. Just looking: you can get the Eurostar there for £39 each, then use Trainline to book to Amsterdam for £23. So it should be about £62 each. Or if money is really tight, this train is about 14 euros but wouldn't leave until early evening - you could have lunch and a stroll around in Brussels in the afternoon, if you do that. Either way, the train is a million times nicer than flying.

I'd just go to the Jordaan the whole time. Loads of good places to eat. Pathé Tuschinski cinema is glorious as well. Give me a shout if you want any tips on travel or places to go once you're there.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You need to change at Brussels and get separate tickets. Just looking: you can get the Eurostar there for £39 each, then use Trainline to book to Amsterdam for £23. So it should be about £62 each. Or if money is really tight, this train is about 14 euros but wouldn't leave until early evening - you could have lunch and a stroll around in Brussels in the afternoon, if you do that.
If money's really that tight, you can get the Flixbus from Brussels to Amsterdam for €7.99...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t be tempted into the sex museum or the torture museum.
Massive waste of time. They are genuinely shite. Cobbled together rubbish.
Much better ways to spend your time.

We enjoyed just wondering around, strolling by the canals, buying some patties etc and generally exploring.

Lovely city. Have a nice break!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Sadly, we always reach the same conclusion about Eurostar. Living in Brighton Gatwick is just 20 minutes away and flights far cheaper.

If we lived in central London travelling from St Pancras would be so attractive.

Ashford International was great for us, but Eurostar used the excuse of the Lockdowns to mothball it ad infinitum.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Darren's famous ancestor?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for the tip. I think we want to stay close in town, so we can be leisurely and have a base centrally in case we need a nap(!). Appreciate the suggestion and especially the advice re: the museums, only a couple of slots remaining while we are there so will not delay in booking this, esp Anne Frank House.

Never got there but always wanted to ->

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here