Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam Travel Advice Please

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If beer is your thing this lovely canal side place is superb. lovely building, lovely location and great beer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If beer is your thing lovely canal side place is superb. lovely building, lovely location and great beer.

Oh god I've just remembered that place.

I was there with an alcoholic ex-"friend", work colleague.

I was trying to get him home and he started on those which I remember can be very strong like Belgian beers.

30 mins later he was starting a fight with suppliers.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Our family holiday this year was going by train to Amsterdam and Berlin. There are 4 or so direct trains / day from St Pancras to Amsterdam. Worth considering asit cuts the faff of airports and delivers you into the centre of the Dam.

As others say, book museum tickets.
Amsterdam is expensive for eating out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
We are going via BA on one of their city breaks for 4 nights works out decent flight times from Gatwick and cost, and if wife can't get a ticket (and me and boy) then still will have the atmosphere andd somewhere to watch the game in safety from

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not that night it wasn't.

Don't let it put you off, interesting place.

And in any case, you won't find him naked from the waist down collapsed on the floor in your hotel room.

If you walk outside of the centre, you will find some lovely canal side bars as well. Fully understand why Amsterdam are reclaiming the centre.

It's a beautiful city with a few grimy bits right in the middle. The odd bit about the middle is you can avoid it a few streets away and then it becomes nice again.

I have a random favourite coffee bar (not a coffee shop) where I always go. It reminds of Seville in many ways because even in the centre you will find locals just doing their thing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Pre book Anne Frank’s house.

St Pancras to Amsterdam by rail, perhaps I’m unlucky, every time I look it’s far more expensive than flying.

.. but so much easier.

It's amazing how you put up with the time difference when

1) You remove two airports from the equation
2) It's city centre to city centre (not out of city airports)
3) You can stretch your legs without being assumed a terrorist threat
4) You can charge your stuff. It has WIFI and but also a local server that streams the odd stuff.
5) You can walk to the bar and have a beer. Then walk back to your seat.
6) You can sit in another free seat if some is annoying you.
7) Your luggage stays with you or near you.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Check Eurostar too, can get some very competitive fares, possibly a bit quicker door to door too.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Ahead of time but intend to drive for the match in November, making it a 5 or 6 day trip around our EPL games.
My questions are-
What is it like for cars in Amsertdam (silly question) and so is there a long term P&R on the outskirts with easy transport in?
Best area to stay as a tourist?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
.. but so much easier.

It's amazing how you put up with the time difference when

1) You remove two airports from the equation
2) It's city centre to city centre (not out of city airports)
3) You can stretch your legs without being assumed a terrorist threat
4) You can charge your stuff. It has WIFI and but also a local server that streams the odd stuff.
5) You can walk to the bar and have a beer. Then walk back to your seat.
6) You can sit in another free seat if some is annoying you.
7) Your luggage stays with you or near you.

I love European trains including from London. But many folk, unlike us, have to watch every penny when travelling. Hence vast numbers fly to Amsterdam from SE England.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. Suggest you stay in Haarlem and use the train to travel in to Amsterdam. The journey lasts about 15 minutes. It's cheaper, cleaner, less frenetic and less sleezy. You have to book the Van Gough museum and The Anne Frank house on line. You can't pay on the day. Unfortunately you'll be lucky to get a slot this side of Christmas.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just checked, roughly £590 for 2
Blimey. When I used to go it was comparable with the flights.

That said a good mate of mine is off tomorrow, his family is Dutch. He booked weeks in advance and was cheaper than the flights.

However this week starting Thursday is IBC Weekend in Amsterdam. Huge (and I mean huge) broadcast technology conference. Prices go through the roof, hotels routinely double. Started off in Brighton years ago, but soon out grew it. Not sure there is anywhere in London as big as The Rai.

I'm sure it's the cities biggest money spinner. They tried to move it to Barcelona a few years ago.

In response, if you go to the conference (like I did for years) you get FREE public transport for the weekend as part of your ticket.

.. and FREE bus travel back to the airport.

And conference is FREE itself. Must cost the city millions, but it brings in far much more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here