Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam Travel Advice Please

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I haven’t been abroad for a few years at this point, and looking at a cheapish 3 night getaway to Amsterdam. I’ve never been and have a list of tourist sights to see, but have several questions.

We were thinking 8-11th October - is it better to buy a packaged hotel & flight via Expedia (or any other broker you recommend?) or to buy separately?

Would need to fly from Gatwick, so I’m guessing EasyJet is cheapest?

I was looking at this:

IMG_1657.png

IMG_1658.png

We aren’t on a huge budget, but £361 each seems quite reasonable for a city centre hotel for 3 nights, plus return from Gatwick?

Any other hidden fees or things I should know? How is the transport from the airport?

Any and all useful advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

Jul 7, 2003
Transport from the airport is easy by train. Also check BA flights as they have Gatwick to Amsterdam and can be competitive on price.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By all means use Expedia to gauge prices but then book direct with hotel and/or airline.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just to qualify my post, if there’s an issue e.g. flight cancellation or a minor alteration to hotel needed it’s a lot easier to deal directly.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
You know the match is on 9th November though, yeah?
Just a little holiday with the Mrs, can’t justify going to the European away games even if I could get tickets! But thanks!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I haven’t been abroad for a few years at this point, and looking at a cheapish 3 night getaway to Amsterdam. I’ve never been and have a list of tourist sights to see, but have several questions.

We were thinking 8-11th October - is it better to buy a packaged hotel & flight via Expedia (or any other broker you recommend?) or to buy separately?

Would need to fly from Gatwick, so I’m guessing EasyJet is cheapest?

I was looking at this:

View attachment 166345

View attachment 166346

We aren’t on a huge budget, but £361 each seems quite reasonable for a city centre hotel for 3 nights, plus return from Gatwick?

Any other hidden fees or things I should know? How is the transport from the airport?

Any and all useful advice would be very welcome. Thank you.
I went for a few days between Xmas and New Year and found the Amsterdam tourist card really good value. We got the 36 hours one and it gave free travel within the City and free entry to most museums (not Ann Franks house though) although we still had to book in advance for some of the venues including the Reijksmuseum.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Been to Amsterdam more times than I forget. Usually around this time a year for a conference. Probably been almost 20 times.

If you have your flights so be it, but even living very near Gatwick - the train is so much less stressful. Especially with that huge airport in Amsterdam.

SO

Hotel - looks reasonable. Next weekend when they have their biggest exhibition, rates can easily double.

Transport from the airport (if you must). Very very easy. Quick train to Central.

Also this time of year, is the best time to buy tulip bulbs. Get yourself down to the flower market (just south of the centre) and plant them in the Autumn, if that's your thing.

Avoid the centre for eating (like most large cities). Few mins walk way should find something nice, but do your research first. Try and hunt down some nice Indonesian food,

There is a reason there aren't many Dutch restaurants outside of Holland.

Things to being back:

1) Aged Gouda - get it in the one their shops. It's more expensive in the airport.

2) Tulip Bulbs to plant in the autumn. The flower market is easily walkable from your hotel.

3) Avoid the tourist trap chocolate biscuit nonsense with all the queues.

There is a supermarket chain Albert Heijn that is everywhere, can get everything in there. Shops can close early and Amsterdam outside of the centre is a bit old fashioned on a Sunday.

No-one goes to Amsterdam for the food. If you find it disappointing, so did everyone else.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That's also a pretty good spot for a hotel. Right in the centre, but away enough (few mins) from the red light district which will keep you awake and I don't mean in that way.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Brilliant, thanks a lot everyone. Location sold me on the hotel and the reviews are generally excellent. Will get it booked tomorrow, priced up “a La carte”. Thanks again

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If you have any specific questions that haven't been answered, feel free to send me a PM.

The train is easy, go through passport control, buy a ticket and it's underneath the airport. You'll be at Amsterdam Centraal within 15 minutes and your hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the station.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Been to Amsterdam more times than I forget. Usually around this time a year for a conference. Probably been almost 20 times.

If you have your flights so be it, but even living very near Gatwick - the train is so much less stressful. Especially with that huge airport in Amsterdam.

SO

Hotel - looks reasonable. Next weekend when they have their biggest exhibition, rates can easily double.

Transport from the airport (if you must). Very very easy. Quick train to Central.

Also this time of year, is the best time to buy tulip bulbs. Get yourself down to the flower market (just south of the centre) and plant them in the Autumn, if that's your thing.

Avoid the centre for eating (like most large cities). Few mins walk way should find something nice, but do your research first. Try and hunt down some nice Indonesian food,

There is a reason there aren't many Dutch restaurants outside of Holland.

Things to being back:

1) Aged Gouda - get it in the one their shops. It's more expensive in the airport.

2) Tulip Bulbs to plant in the autumn. The flower market is easily walkable from your hotel.

3) Avoid the tourist trap chocolate biscuit nonsense with all the queues.

There is a supermarket chain Albert Heijn that is everywhere, can get everything in there. Shops can close early and Amsterdam outside of the centre is a bit old fashioned on a Sunday.

No-one goes to Amsterdam for the food. If you find it disappointing, so did everyone else.

Just to highlight that strictly speaking you are not allowed to import tulip bulbs into the UK from Holland but you'd be bloody unlucky to get caught.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just to highlight that strictly speaking you are not allowed to import tulip bulbs into the UK from Holland but you'd be bloody unlucky to get caught.

Since Brexit I'd imagine.

I suppose they are selling overpriced cleared ones at the airport and cashing in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If you're going to the Van Gogh museum, best times are early morning or late afternoon, Need to book, €20 entry.
Easy to get to from Centraal station, tram route 12.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here