Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam Travel Advice Please

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I have to say I don't really go to Amsterdam much anymore apart from concerts or when friends visit. Groningen is nice but so far out the way.

Ijhorst is the bible belt so no surprise there. My ex lived the other side of Zwolle and would get comments for wearing jeans on a Sunday. A lot of people don't realise just how religous some of The Netherlands really is.
Years ago an ex-colleague moved into the bible belt (more of a bible sash if you look at it on a map). He was British, so unaware. Early on he decided one Sunday morning to wash his car. Didn't make that mistake again... Got spat at, I believe.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
That's true. I mean this politely, but did your friends move into the centre in the last 10-15 years? Kinda, what else do you expect? I live in the centre of Utrecht and the noise and unruliness (especially from the studentenverenigingen) is just part of living in the centre. Everyone loves the nightlife until it's on their doorstep. But yes, Amsterdam is absolutely overcrowded, I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet there like they have in Den Haag.

I was including Zaanse Schans but for a lot of people who want to see windmills, it's perfect and not too far from Amsterdam like Kinderdijk.

Nijmegen is a quality night out. We have a Dutch Seagull based there actually!
Most of my Amsterdam friends are true Amsterdammers, even longer in the tooth than me, and have lived there for many decades. I know at least one that gets his own back and derives enormous fun from cycling at speed up and down Zeedijk and other similar narrow streets, dinging his bell furiously and frightening the crap out of the dawdling hordes who haven't learnt to "embrace the margins"...

I took a group of Americans to Zaanse Schans back in May. First time I've been in years. To be fair, I think they enjoyed it. But to me it came across as one big cheese shop with a couple of windmills on the side, inexplicably popular among Far-Eastern visitors...

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Talking to others it does look like a few Albion are staying in other towns and cities in Holland and then travelling in by train. Agree with other comments about Dam Square though. I am taking the 10-15 minutes of effort to hit somewhere else first for a few wet ones and some grub.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
If I can recommend the best dish The Netherlands has to offer, please take a kapsalon after your night out. It is a calorie bomb but it's the best thing.

Only problem is if you ask for a kapsalon to a random Dutch person they may send you to a random hairdresser...

Certainly among the best (can't beat Hollandse nieuwe in my opinion, or snert when I come to think about it), although one a year is probably sufficient for anyone who wants to survive into old age...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here