Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Amsterdam Travel Advice Please

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
€5.50 each way from Schipol airport to Centraal Station Amsterdam, don’t forget to “tap in”

ronniegrimes

Oct 5, 2023
I stuffed half a box of those truffles last time I went, didn’t know what the f*** was going on for about 8 hours ! It was horrible. Be warned !
Scoffed a brownie in Amsterdam once and then went to an improv comedy club with a lot of audience interaction. Sat in absolute terror for two hours.

Oh boy haha. Can definitely relate.

Amsterdam is a great city, I was lucky enough to get there around King's Day and partied with the whole city. My advice to everyone who is planning on going- boost up your immune system and definitely try to get there for KD.

Also- if you want to get away from the madness, you can take a train to Zaandam. Worth it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Anyone else think Amsterdam is vastly overrated?

Don't get me wrong beautiful place, but there's not actually that much to do. Once you get to a certain age the drugs don't work anymore (reading above and most of the drug stories are bad ones!!). Even smoking there now is not a mellow experience and the stuff is too strong and makes you feel ill if you're not a seasoned smoker.

The RLD is fun for about 20 mins.

And the food is rubbish.

Despite that I've booked 3 days there during the game which I suspect is overkill now !!

And just to caveat all above I had a Dutch Mrs for 5 years so was back and forth a lot and maybe my bad memories are heightened by her !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Don't get me wrong beautiful place, but there's not actually that much to do. Once you get to a certain age the drugs don't work anymore (reading above and most of the drug stories are bad ones!!). Even smoking there now is not a mellow experience and the stuff is too strong and makes you feel ill if you're not a seasoned smoker.

And the food is rubbish.

Despite that I've booked 3 days there during the game which I suspect is overkill now !!

And just to caveat all above I had a Dutch Mrs for 5 years so was back and forth a lot and maybe my bad memories are heightened by her !
Complete and utter nonsense. There is loads of interesting stuff to do in Amsterdam, loads of lovely neighbourhoods to visit and many interesting areas and scenes. There are also plenty of bars with excellent beers and enough decent restuarants to keep me happy .....and one of my favourite saunas in the world.

You need to look beyond the end of your nose.

For someone who claims, quite loudly at times, to be so well travelled you really do seem quite unknowlegeable.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
For someone who claims, quite loadly at times, to be so well travelled you really do seem quite inexperienced at times.
How condescending!! It's different strokes for different folks. People in my scene rarely go to Amsterdam.....it's overrated for me but I recognise it's popular.

But the food is generally bad especially the sushi and that's something me and my Amsterdam mates joke about all the time. It has a few michelin restaurants, will give it that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

And the food is rubbish.

it is over rated. A bit too touristy , that said , every time been always end up in some great states so for that it's perfect.

I'd not go back for a weekend but it will be quality Trip for our game over there. Literally !

I keep reading they are trying to clean it all up so be interesting to see how that is turning out

There are better boozing squares and areas than Dam square

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How condescending!! It's different strokes for different folks. People in my scene rarely go to Amsterdam.....it's overrated for me but I recognise it's popular.

But the food is generally bad especially the sushi and that's something me and my Amsterdam mates joke about all the time. It has a few michelin restaurants, will give it that.
It is not a case of 'different strokes'

You said 'there's not actually that much to do.'

I am saying there is. To say there isnt is just ignorant.

There might not be much that interests you, but this is not the same as saying there is little to do.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

And the food is rubbish.

It's a phenomenal city, but I can understand why you think that. It isn't the same as it was 10 years ago and the mayor is trying to change it into London-lite. Still some lovely cities in NL mind you.

Utrecht, Leiden, Delft, The Hague, Zaandam and even Rotterdam are all great cities to visit too.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's a phenomenal city, but I can understand why you think that. It isn't the same as it was 10 years ago and the mayor is trying to change it into London-lite. Still some lovely cities in NL mind you.

Utrecht, Leiden, Delft, The Hague, Zaandam and even Rotterdam are all great cities to visit too.
Do the police still give out tickets when you go through a red light on a bike lol ?

I've been to most of the other places you mention there, I've also been to gronigen and my ex's parents had a big mansion in ijhorst which was a bit of a strange place if I remember right it had loads of Mormons .

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Do the police still give out tickets when you go through a red light on a bike lol ?

I've been to most of the other places you mention there, I've also been to gronigen and my ex's parents had a big mansion in ijhorst which was a bit of a strange place if I remember right it had loads of Mormons .
I have to say I don't really go to Amsterdam much anymore apart from concerts or when friends visit. Groningen is nice but so far out the way.

Ijhorst is the bible belt so no surprise there. My ex lived the other side of Zwolle and would get comments for wearing jeans on a Sunday. A lot of people don't realise just how religous some of The Netherlands really is.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

The problem Amsterdam has is that, especially since the advent of Airbnb, it gets far more tourists than the infrastructure can handle. Lest we forget, it is only 1/10 the size of a London or Paris. I can completely understand why the mayor wants to reduce the numbers and filter out the "riff-raff". I know several people who live in the centre of the city, and they have to deal with drunk and/or stoned British and German (and other) visitors pissing on their front doorsteps almost on a daily basis...

Agree Utrecht, Leiden, Delft, The Hague, and especially Rotterdam are good places. Not sure about Zaandam though. It's nice enough but a bit quiet and a bit twee in my opinion - besides Tsar Peter's house and the Black Smith pub there's not a lot to see or do there. Unless you're counting Zaanse Schans, which I think is over-rated.

Nijmegen, Maastricht and Groningen are all great places for a night out. So is Eindhoven, but I do appreciate it's a place you have to know to love...

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The problem Amsterdam has is that, especially since the advent of Airbnb, it gets far more tourists than the infrastructure can handle. Lest we forget, it is only 1/10 the size of a London or Paris. I can completely understand why the mayor wants to reduce the numbers and filter out the "riff-raff". I know several people who live in the centre of the city, and they have to deal with drunk and/or stoned British and German (and other) visitors pissing on their front doorsteps almost on a daily basis...

Agree Utrecht, Leiden, Delft, The Hague, and especially Rotterdam are good places. Not sure about Zaandam though. It's nice enough but a bit quiet and a bit twee in my opinion - besides Tsar Peter's house and the Black Smith pub there's not a lot to see or do there. Unless you're counting Zaanse Schans, which I think is over-rated.

Nijmegen, Maastricht and Groningen are all great places for a night out. So is Eindhoven, but I do appreciate it's a place you have to know to love...
That's true. I mean this politely, but did your friends move into the centre in the last 10-15 years? Kinda, what else do you expect? I live in the centre of Utrecht and the noise and unruliness (especially from the studentenverenigingen) is just part of living in the centre. Everyone loves the nightlife until it's on their doorstep. But yes, Amsterdam is absolutely overcrowded, I'm surprised they haven't been banned yet there like they have in Den Haag.

I was including Zaanse Schans but for a lot of people who want to see windmills, it's perfect and not too far from Amsterdam like Kinderdijk.

Nijmegen is a quality night out. We have a Dutch Seagull based there actually!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here