Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amsterdam pubs

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Booked the edge of town Ibis Amstel hotel. It was £100's cheaper than in the centre and right on a tram route. Just done a check for Wednesday night and found a brew pub with TV screens 100 metres away. Job done. Oh, and the Heineken Experience is a block away. May not even make the game!
PS if the Brighton Fan Zone is anything like Marseille take your own bucket as toilets were non existant, a couple of food shops and a guy with two small speakers playing rubbish music that no one could hear.
Certainly cheaper out of town ,pretty expensive for beer although the red-light area is cheaper

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Certainly cheaper out of town ,pretty expensive for beer although the red-light area is cheaper
red light and watching football, I'll pop to Susies saloon (not for the clean toilets aficionados we have on this thread) not really a football bar, but often has the football on a couple of screens. just off the RLD when I was very young I would watch football at Durty Nelly's which apparently still exists.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Aren’t there still the public street urinals near the church/black prostitutes area ?
the green metal ones from 100 years ago (or at least it seems that way) are still spotted around the city. but they are getting out numbered by these grey portable ones that don't protect any dignity. ... but as you are talking about geiger counter street (my brother named it that after the tap tap tap on the windows that increased as you walked by), a bar I would watch football in there was Slainte.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been given one recommendation from a regular Dam visitor.... away from the DS and red light.... have a look at the Rembrandtplein area... Trans, busses and a short walk from a Metro stop too.... again, maybe not lively enough for some, but I will take a look during the Thursday.
…..anything goes in Amsterdam.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Following on from the Corbusier building in Marseille those wanting an architectural housing project fix in the ‘dam should check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Het_Schip

Interestingly there was a football pub next to this estate which shows Ajax games ….and gives out free bowls of stew just before KO.

Highly recommend this.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Following on from the Corbusier building in Marseille those wanting an architectural housing project fix in the ‘dam should check out https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Het_Schip

Interestingly there was a football pub next to this estate which shows Ajax games ….and gives out free bowls of stew just before KO.

Highly recommend this.
and after your cultural enrichment, you would be just a short walk under the train tracks to some very nice bars in the Westerpark, including the Troost Brewery. (though I prefer Pacific, but it's more of a summer bar for me - not footbally though).

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I really don't get the whole travelling without a ticket thing. It's slightly different for those who had bought non refundable travel with realistic hope of getting one.

I certainly wouldn't pay out for travel, hotel etc after the match has sold out. I'd just be envious of everyone making their way to the ground nearing kick off, to remain at a pub and watch the game on TV.

Each to their own I guess but I'd be very surprised if large numbers travel ticketless.

I know at least 10 people travelling ticketless, including myself. Most places I wouldn’t dream of going without a ticket but there’s a lot worse places to spend a couple of days on the piss.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Someone posted some stuff on here a few weeks ago about having bought a home ticket from a secondary market provider and whilst the purchase went through they were stuck as they needed the app to receive the ticket. They posted some screenshots. I can’t remember who posted it, or the finer details though.
Yes you need the app. But you just sign up for it, verify your account and get presto, there’s your ticket. It’s worked absolutely fine for me.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
I know at least 10 people travelling ticketless, including myself. Most places I wouldn’t dream of going without a ticket but there’s a lot worse places to spend a couple of days on the piss.
I have a ticket (home end) for Ajax, but then traveling for me is 45 mins on the train. I am however traveling to Greece for the game without a ticket or the hope of one, just to soak up atmosphere, on the exact same premise of I can think of a lot worse places to spend a few days.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Lots of bars will turn you away as Albion supporters if they are showing the football. Will be plenty of Ajax supporters in Amsterdam who will also go to a bar...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Lots of bars will turn you away as Albion supporters if they are showing the football. Will be plenty of Ajax supporters in Amsterdam who will also go to a bar...
Yes, low key would be the recommended plan.. replica shirts probably are not going to get you into many venues outside of the DS or RL area.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
the football showing bars I have suggested so far, cater to the debonair out-of-towners much like ourselves (i.e. mostly Irish bars).

Jimmy Grimble

on Rembrantsplein I have fun in Coco's, it is usually bouncing, lots of screens. (aussie bar, so if the rugby is on the footie gets relegated).

three sisters has football, but usually a lot quieter.
I watched England lose the T20 cricket World Cup final in Coco’s. The Aussies in there certainly enjoyed it.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
the football showing bars I have suggested so far, cater to the debonair out-of-towners much like ourselves (i.e. mostly Irish bars).

Definitely. But I reckon if we speak Dutch we should be fine anyway, especially in the centre. I'll do the normal thing I do when friends visit me here when we try to get into clubs; shut up and let me do the talking. :lolol:

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
the green metal ones from 100 years ago (or at least it seems that way) are still spotted around the city. but they are getting out numbered by these grey portable ones that don't protect any dignity. ... but as you are talking about geiger counter street (my brother named it that after the tap tap tap on the windows that increased as you walked by), a bar I would watch football in there was Slainte.
That’s the ones. They don’t fully cover your dignity from certain angles but not liking the sound of these grey ones ! Then again it’s football so we wee where we want, we wee where we want, we’re Brighton and hove Albion we …..etc etc

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Definitely. But I reckon if we speak Dutch we should be fine anyway, especially in the centre. I'll do the normal thing I do when friends visit me here when we try to get into clubs; shut up and let me do the talking. :lolol:
Are English people not allowed in clubs?

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Any idea what the best tram / metro ticket option is. Need to get from Airport to centre and then getting around for about 4 days and back to airport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here