Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

am i missing something here!!!????

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Caveman said:
There are pictures on the news in Pakistan (or East Ham) couldn't make it out with the sound down, there are people in the street burning effigies of Big Brother bosses, is this racist?

:lolol:

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
London Irish said:
Quite right, US was a bit on the low side - it's actually 600,000 and rising since '03 due to war, civil war, disease, malnutrition, collapse of hospital infrastructure, collapse of sewerage, power generation, transport - all a direct consequence of the US decison to launch war.

Actually, I wouldn't support that conclusion. At the end of the formal war, there was an opportunity to rebuild the infrastructure, which the US was attempting to do, albeit slowly and with a limited amount of direction.
That effort was undermined by the insurgency, now thought to be mainly the results of Iranian intervention.
Had the US efforts at rebuilding gone ahead, (been allowed to proceed), then the situation would be very much better in that country right now.

It seems to me that it is Iran who would be the main cause of the current misery. This should not surprise us. Iran has a long history of killing Iraqis.

The original comment by US is deliberately provocative in that it is intended to equate US soldiers with the terrorists themselves by stating they are killing civilians.
Your upping of the ante adds nothing to informed debate of the issue.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
binky said:
Actually, I wouldn't support that conclusion. At the end of the formal war, there was an opportunity to rebuild the infrastructure, which the US was attempting to do, albeit slowly and with a limited amount of direction.
That effort was undermined by the insurgency, now thought to be mainly the results of Iranian intervention.
Had the US efforts at rebuilding gone ahead, (been allowed to proceed), then the situation would be very much better in that country right now.

It seems to me that it is Iran who would be the main cause of the current misery. This should not surprise us. Iran has a long history of killing Iraqis.

The original comment by US is deliberately provocative in that it is intended to equate US soldiers with the terrorists themselves by stating they are killing civilians.
Your upping of the ante adds nothing to informed debate of the issue.

Superb post:clap:

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
B.M.F said:
The only one that constitues racism is the paki remark. The one about the hands is ignorance on Jades part or whomever said it as it is tradition in India to eat with your right and wipe with your left!!!!! calling her a c**t is not racist and calling her a dog is fine if you don't think she is pretty. Jade is a pig but that does not make me racist does it!!!!!

DO they use loo paper on the left hand or is it, you know, BARE?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Re: am i missing something here!!!????

edna krabappel said:
Actually it did make the news. It wasn't taken up by the police in the manner it might have been because they weren't convinced it was a racist attack. Not because it was on a white victim. Just because someone of one ethnic background attacks another, doesn't mean it was based on any kind of racial prejudice. It could be an attempted robbery, something to do with a school feud, any kind of random ongoing thing.

Trust me, if the police get the slightest hint something is racist, the lengths to which they have to go to investigate it are much greater. They couldn't brush it under the carpet even if they wanted to. It's difficult for me to comment further, but take it from me, it wouldn't have been ignored without good reason.

That applies to white people, black people, Asians, whatever. I saw that incident you referred to on the news at the time, and if you looked closely at those involved, and the subtext of the report, there was quite clearly more to it than met the eye, so be careful what you believe.

I'd like to be able to agree with you Edna but in my experience what your saying is just not true. I dont want to go into details but the last time I was arrested it was an incident involving a coloured person, And although I was actualy the innocent victim ( as proved in court ) the police were more interested in whether I was a racist and a member of the BNP than they were in getting the real facts of what happened. Thankfully the magistrates were a bit more open minded than the narrow minded police that arrested me in the first place because their attitude was it's black and white so white is guilty.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
thats the thing. I am 90% sure i am much more travelled than you and have 'lived' in many more different cultures than you. I hate the english right wing and what sort of person you have described.

I work with indians too, and have done so in the middle east.

so f*** yourself.

I just feel a group of bitches dont like another girl and are being bitchy, because she has dark skin she is playin the race card.

Dick Knights Mumm said:
I imagine Brunswick on his verandah, the sun setting over a foreign shore, union jack on the flag pole, g&t in hand, punkawallah creating a breeze, reminiscing about good old blighty and what a damn fine place the old country is ..................

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brunswick said:
........because she has dark skin she is playin the race card.

I haven't watched it, but I thought the whole issue was not raised by Shilpa, but by the general public, ofcom etc.

Other than the "F*cking Paki" comment, I would suggest that the other comments are not outright racist. However, these dimwits are using her ethnicity to undermime her, treat her as a second class citizen and that has racist undercurrents.

I guess it does come down to interpretation and self conscience.

The Article that Adam Trimmingham wrote about Falmer stated that "the area is peaceful and idyllic, if you are hard of hearing" A woman wrote in and complained saying that she was shocked and appalled and Mr Trimmingham had no idea what it is like to be hard of hearing. It was quite a rant. On the other hand, I am hard of hearing and I found it rather amusing.

Playing the race card....? It is all about personal interpretation. Personally, I can't stand that phrase.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Barrel of Fun said:
I haven't watched it, but I thought the whole issue was not raised by Shilpa, but by the general public, ofcom etc.

Other than the "F*cking Paki" comment, I would suggest that the other comments are not outright racist. However, these dimwits are using her ethnicity to undermime her, treat her as a second class citizen and that has racist undercurrents.

I guess it does come down to interpretation and self conscience.

The Article that Adam Trimmingham wrote about Falmer stated that "the area is peaceful and idyllic, if you are hard of hearing" A woman wrote in and complained saying that she was shocked and appalled and Mr Trimmingham had no idea what it is like to be hard of hearing. It was quite a rant. On the other hand, I am hard of hearing and I found it rather amusing.

Playing the race card....? It is all about personal interpretation. Personally, I can't stand that phrase.

shirka yestersay quote/unquote

This is happening because I'm Indian

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
dwayne said:
shirka yestersay quote/unquote

This is happening because I'm Indian
Why do you keep referring to her as Shirka, your as ignorant as Jade

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Seagullsgonnagetya said:
Racism…Religionism…Fatism…Thinism…Ageism…Disabledism…Crystal Palaceism Sexism…Egg chasingism…blah, blah, blah…we are all bigoted in our own ways by our culture, upbringing and THE BLOODY MEDIA (Mediaism?) inciting tension between elements of humanity (Animalism?).

THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE… there will always be tension between BHA and Palace (I hope)…Spurs and Arsenal…between any two states that border each other…etc, etc

Don’t let it get ya down…its been the same for quite a few years now (since we all stood upright) and me thinks it will always be this way and the way it should be…what fun would life be without a bit of a good old politically incorrect banter. I’ve been called a lot of things in my time, some justified and some not but none have caused any real heartache. Respect is what is really required. I was brought up with Irish jokes and despite an Irish heritage found them bloody funny at the time. Some fat Essex girl exposing her ignorance is even funnier to me and not even slightly racist other than to the BRIT culture she represents. The olive skinned Asian population should just laugh at the ignorance and or switch off. :jester:

PS.. Shoot the bloody British media…they just do tribalism in such a tacky and obvious way these days
:rolleyes:

Absolutely spot on. The best post on this thread by a mile.

Commander said:
Absolutely spot on. The best post on this thread by a mile.

You think? I agree with some of his sentiment, but for someone who has never been on the receiving end of racism against Asians to tell all Asians in general to just laugh it off is very simplistic and patronising in my view, (whether he is white or Asian). There are thousands of British Asians who suffer the consequences of racism every day, and I'm not talking about Bollywood stars getting the odd ignorant comment. Tell a kid that has been attacked with a stanley knife just because he has brown skin to just "switch off".

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Lokki 7 said:
You think? I agree with some of his sentiment, but for someone who has never been on the receiving end of racism against Asians to tell all Asians in general to just laugh it off is very simplistic and patronising in my view, (whether he is white or Asian). There are thousands of British Asians who suffer the consequences of racism every day, and I'm not talking about Bollywood stars getting the odd ignorant comment. Tell a kid that has been attacked with a stanley knife just because he has brown skin to just "switch off".

Or even slightly darker skin.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lokki 7 said:

OK, but being attacked with a stanley knife is a little bit different to being bullied on a TV show by a couple of pig thick slags.

Commander said:
OK, but being attacked with a stanley knife is a little bit different to being bullied on a TV show by a couple of pig thick slags.

Agreed. But the point is that accepting racism as the natural way of things can be very dangerous as not everyone in society is capable of drawing the line of acceptability as you clearly are. Remember there are a lot of ignorant f*** wits out there who get their queue from society. If racism is seen as acceptable on one level, they may be comfortable taking it to another level. There are countless examples in history of this effect being very powerful which is why I think it is dangerous to ignore.

Re: Re: am i missing something here!!!????

algie said:
Re: am i missing something here!!!????

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by brunswick
a white kid at school (oh god i said white) in Bristol last week gets a hammer attack to the head by 6 asians (oh god i said asians). Hardly makes the news.

AND NOW Jade Goody says indians eat with their hands and its the MAIN NEWS STORY of the UK. Effergies getting burned - this is now world news!!

I am leaving this country in the spring and cant wait. This country is truly f00ked.

unreal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attacks the like that always go unnoticed.Did you read about the Scots boy?Never made main news and it was truely sick.Be perpared for the lefties to brush it off

2 things.

1. Actually the attack was extensively reported as was the trial of the thugs who murdered the scots lad, at least in the news media I read and listen to (The independent and Radio 4 in general) If they weren't in the press you read or listen to then I suggest you change to a different news media, one that reports news.

2. The hammer attack was in Swindon not Bristol. If you can't be bothered to get the basic facts right on a subject you are going to base your opinions on then really it is a waste of time. At least do some basic research before spouting ill-informed opinions.

As an aside there are the following news reports I have found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/6263155.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1988822,00.html
http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=4351
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007020044,00.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...d+over+hammer+attack+on+school+boy/article.do

So that's 5 articles in mass circulation news media. Hardly the way you describe it as "Hardly makes the news" is it?

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: am i missing something here!!!????

readingstockport said:
2 things.

1. Actually the attack was extensively reported as was the trial of the thugs who murdered the scots lad, at least in the news media I read and listen to (The independent and Radio 4 in general) If they weren't in the press you read or listen to then I suggest you change to a different news media, one that reports news.

2. The hammer attack was in Swindon not Bristol. If you can't be bothered to get the basic facts right on a subject you are going to base your opinions on then really it is a waste of time. At least do some basic research before spouting ill-informed opinions.

As an aside there are the following news reports I have found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/6263155.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1988822,00.html
http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=4351
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007020044,00.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...d+over+hammer+attack+on+school+boy/article.do

So that's 5 articles in mass circulation news media. Hardly the way you describe it as "Hardly makes the news" is it?

But if I don't read the web, read the guardian, watch channel 4 or the BBC or do not subscribe to the Sun, then how am I supposed to know about the attack!? :jester:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Lokki 7 said:
Agreed. But the point is that accepting racism as the natural way of things can be very dangerous as not everyone in society is capable of drawing the line of acceptability as you clearly are. Remember there are a lot of ignorant f*** wits out there who get their queue from society. If racism is seen as acceptable on one level, they may be comfortable taking it to another level. There are countless examples in history of this effect being very powerful which is why I think it is dangerous to ignore.

True, but there has to be a line somewhere. People are always going to pick on other people for things that they see as different- colour of skin, colour of hair, fatness, thinness, tallness, shortness, baldness etc. All things that are not the persons choice (apart from maybe fatness!). It's just that out of all these things, society has made it a major taboo for the first one, but not for the others. I think it's just as dangerous to make a big deal out of a bit of banter as it is to ignore proper racism. By the way, I'm not referring to CBB here, I haven't watched it all, so don't really know whether what's going on is racism or not. Although am going to tonight!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here