Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

[Albion] Am I being paranoid? De Zerbi

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Have we all watched his post match presser on YouTube?
Informative (re formation) and interesting. Sounds like he's trying to put Pedro in the shop window šŸ˜‚, saying how much he's improved and he hopes to be working with him for another year...but you never know.
It's interesting when he speaks like this, maybe he's trying to get JoĆ£o a new contract and a big pay rise šŸ¤”.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Well, TS's Alex Crook (he's very reliable) stated in the last hour that RDZ is about to sign a new contract with us. With the Ā£10m compensation clause staying.
Iā€™d be amazed if thatā€™s the case. Increased terms on a long term contract make sense, but surely the club have to protect themselves and increase the compensation clause accordingly?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well, TS's Alex Crook (he's very reliable) stated in the last hour that RDZ is about to sign a new contract with us. With the Ā£10m compensation clause staying.
There are comments in todayā€˜s Argus from Adam Lallana that RDZ is going nowhere at the moment because he considers himself to be very lucky with what heā€™s got - a great squad of players whom he loves and who love him.
There is the realisation that ā€œone day we all know he will move on to bigger thingsā€, but I canā€™t help remembering the stories of when he was in Ukraine at the beginning of the war. He made sure all his players got out and were ok before getting out himself. Heā€™s not going to throw his toys out of the pram because a few players are injured

Last edited:

After a performance like that with half the 1st team out injured I reckon Roberto was thinking blimey, I thought we'd get hammered by spurs and justify his need of reinforcements next month. What he saw was as good as it can be with the youngsters turning on the style and old boy Milner bossing the show. Bloom will be saying we don't need more players Roberto!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
After a performance like that with half the 1st team out injured I reckon Roberto was thinking blimey, I thought we'd get hammered by spurs and justify his need of reinforcements next month. What he saw was as good as it can be with the youngsters turning on the style and old boy Milner bossing the show. Bloom will be saying we don't need more players Roberto!!

Yet, a few few more injuries. I think TB will reinforce the squad.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think itā€™s a bit fanciful to try to read hidden meaning into anything de Zerbi says tbh. He only learnt the language last year! He constantly says, very clearly, that he is very happy at Brighton and to be working with these players. He says with great emphasis that he thinks he is very lucky to be here. I am not sure he could make it clearer. Maybe he is as fed up with constant stories of him moving on as I am. :)

So, last night, after watching probably (as the man said himself) probably the best 81 mins of the season from Brighton, I was a little taken aback by the lack of emotion on our famously emotional Italian. This morning wake up and watch the post match interview and not one smile passed his face. Even more so, he interrogated the interviewer on what it meant to be Brighton and rather on our identity focussed on the fact that we are three big players short in our squad. he looked like a powder keg about to explode.

Less than a few weeks ago he was running round the pitch in joy after beating Marseille!

I am desperately hoping that this is paranoia but is all well in the mind of the boss?
Aren't all his interviews like this? In front of the Press he's very dour and over deliberate

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I think the TalkSport story about RDZ'S new contract has been misunderstood. They reported that the new deal will include a substantial release clause. It's currently around Ā£10million, so expected to be higher in the new deal.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
didn't RDZ in one of his recent press interviews, respond when questioned about contracts and the future, that he is likely to retire at a young age (for a manager) as its very tiring and tough to work constantly.

Was he being serious or just his dry humour?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He couldn't even watch the penalties been taken. I took that as he was nervous and didn't want to celebrate too much as in earlier games when we conceded late on for dropped points. Not that he was disinterested.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
There is some real knicker wetting going on.

If I was RDZ I would be saying much the same thing, wants the board to back him (wouldn't we all), frustrated with the media narrative (aren't we all), frustrated with the continuous line of injuries in the season he wants to really make an impact (I'd be the same) yet doing a fabulous job.

No panic here I'd be more worried if he came out and said "yes its great all fine here".

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
There is some real knicker wetting going on.

If I was RDZ I would be saying much the same thing, wants the board to back him (wouldn't we all), frustrated with the media narrative (aren't we all), frustrated with the continuous line of injuries in the season he wants to really make an impact (I'd be the same) yet doing a fabulous job.

No panic here I'd be more worried if he came out and said "yes its great all fine here".
Kiss of death would be no new signings and ā€œhappy to work with what I haveā€ platitudes. Not that I can ever see RDZ coming out with that traditional Albion manager line :smile:

Bloom is as big a fan as any of us, he will be backing RDZ imo.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
didn't RDZ in one of his recent press interviews, respond when questioned about contracts and the future, that he is likely to retire at a young age (for a manager) as its very tiring and tough to work constantly.

Was he being serious or just his dry humour?
Hmmm yes I watched that. I think a bit of both. Certainly his style is very intense and could well tire him (or his staff!) quicker than other managers.
Then again his espressos and fags might fuel him šŸ˜Ž.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Love RDZ and what he's doing for the Albion but I think he needs to drop the player sales narrative from his interviews, it's slightly Poyet-esque and wearing a bit thin.

It must be frustrating but all but a few PL teams are selling clubs when a bigger club come in for a player. He has been heavily backed and has some of the best young talent in Europe at his disposal.
Yeah I agree

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
When pressed about being a manager for a long time, he was pretty clear that he wouldn't be, as he said it's really tough working with his level of intensity. Several times now he seems to have dipped in his enthusiasm, I guess being a perfectionist is exhausting and emotionally draining when things are not quite right. Plus two of the goals were penalties, not only do penalties not carry the same level of madness as an impromptu goal, he also doesn't watch them

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think that a decision is approaching for Bloom and Barber. Do they back De Zerbi in the transfer market so he can continue his brilliant work all happy and fulfilled. Or do they stick to what has worked for us so far and buy similar types of players to continue our rise (but more long term), even if this means moving down the list to the next manager.

De Zerbi is quietly demanding that he is given some money to spend/more players and is doing that publicly.

Naylor is posting Barbers program notes on twitter

"Football clubs function at their best with a clear vision, well-defined values and a true sense of togetherness from top to bottom, across all areas, and from pitch to stands. We have that at Brighton, and everyone is playing their part to maintain it."

Something is afoot and I am concerned that this tweet is about reminding us fans of what the club is all about.

Still, we are in good hands, so things will probably work out whichever way they go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here