Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I being paranoid? De Zerbi

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That's not even a yellow in my book.
I agree - hence posting the Vid -( if you watch the full clip he actually shifts his foot after playing the ball through to try and avoid/minimise contact )- It’s why I think RDZ looked angry in the last 15 minutes - I don’t think it was the wobble just the “Roberto is right, the ref is sh*t‘ thing going on - the fact it has led to a ban because of Dunk’s previous ended up being ridiculously harsh outcome.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think he’s always been like this as well. I remember last season thinking during one game (can’t remember which) that we were winning by a few goals and thinking he’d be jumping about but when the camera went on him after the goal, he looked totally annoyed 🤣 it happened more than once as well.
There is the famous 'f***ing focus' incident, seen by someone who posts on NSC, when we were playing well, and he didn't think the bench was paying proper attention to the game.

As for 'club policy', at the start of last season we had just scraped a 9th place finish (and on the last day of the season it could have been as low as 12th), with a manager who, at that point, had no track record of overwhelming desire and ambition to reach the very top, and apparently a one of the lowest salary spends in the division. Under those circumstances you don't suddenly splash out on as £40 million pound defender and offer him £120K a week.

Fast forward a year, we finish 6th with a new and obviously demanding and ambitious manager, and we do exactly that (albeit I don't know what salary we offered Colwill, but he would have come here had Chelsea accepted the £40 mill bid).

Things have changed. Obviously Bloom and Barber can see what it takes to stay in the top ten, and indeed the top 6. We can't expect to make a quarter of a billion pounds in transfers over 2 seasons every two seasons, but there will be a happy balance between selling young stars and recruiting big stars.

My feeling is that we could do with bringing in a couple of young gems, and a couple of whatever RDZ wants. And I mean during the winter break. We need bodies and class. Both. For another tilt at top six, and a proper cup push.

But let us not forget the elements of the model that are working: these young talents we have uncovered. Look at Hinsch, for example. A couple of weeks ago people* were saying he should be nowhere near the first team. And yesterday, with a side I felt may end up limping off at 90 minutes with a new bum hole, we absolutely destroy Spuds.

If I were RDZ, I would press for what I mentioned above, but I would have confidence in the ownership and our ambition, and really go for it till the end of the season (before heading off to Old Trafford for a massive pay day).

*well, Dwayne counts as people, innit?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still a foul.
Foul and a yellow (just about).

Law 12
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:

• commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offence
You can argue that's reckless or you can argue he clears the ball and the Spurs player puts himself in harms way.

What it's not is a red.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
No way is that a yellow and Dunk’s initial reaction to the ref had me worrying he was going to repeat his sending off. Nice touch from JPVH to put an arm around his shoulder.

He looked distraught as he walked away from the ref and down the tunnel at the end.

Gonna miss a game due to a bad decision by the ref now :angry:
The yellow must of been given from the ref receiving information from others as was a long time after the challenge. Is that allowed?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And yet he continually says how lucky and happy he is at Brighton, not only in this interview post match but also in the pre-match press conference.

Personally, I think he is pissed off with journalists saying that we are struggling when we are not - not that Jonathan Pearce did in that interview, but that has been the general line of questioning recently.
Exactly …and it was on that point he referred to “we are Brighton” that he said to JP “what you fink”

…I think the OP is reading too much into last nights interview

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah it's slightly Poyetesque, but also very different.

Poyet "I can't compete without more players"
RDZ " Look how well I'm competing without the right players"

Poyet was looking for an excuse to leave, RDZ is looking for assurances to stay.

RDZ has proved he can deliver on everything he has promised.
Letting his employer know what he needs to carry on exceeding targets, is not a bad thing.

If Bloom comes back and says "sorry, I'm not going to change the club's policies, to allow us to reach our full potential."
Then RDZ has a decision to make.
I hope this is correct. But I’m not convinced.

If I was Bloom I’d be saying to RDZ “You tell me what you need to win a trophy in the next 3 years and I’ll go and get it for you. But if I’m committing to this, then so are you. Here is your new contract with a MASSIVE release clause in it. If I’m doing this for you then you’re not going anywhere”.

But then it’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Love RDZ and what he's doing for the Albion but I think he needs to drop the player sales narrative from his interviews, it's slightly Poyet-esque and wearing a bit thin.

It must be frustrating but all but a few PL teams are selling clubs when a bigger club come in for a player. He has been heavily backed and has some of the best young talent in Europe at his disposal.
You think he’s been heavily backed when he’s been given a worse squad than last year to work with, a squad that has key weaknesses?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There will possibly be a power struggle eventually, he wants as any manager would to achieve success. If the tools to do that keep being taken away each summer it will start to become tiresome for him having to start all over again in certain areas on the pitch.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But what policies need changing? We have assembled an excellent squad with the current policies, one that RDZ has said he is lucky to have. We will buy PL ready players (eg Pervis) if they fit our criteria and wage structures but we are also patient - if we cannot improve the squad within our means then we won't. We have exceptional team/squad spirit, our transfer policy reflects that.
If you are talking about selling our best players then yes, I agree, but not at the detriment of our team spirit. Likewise, we are not going to buy any big time charlies on silly wages.
Our transfer policy has got us to where we are now. Why would it not allow us to reach our full potential?
From De Zerbi's perspective, he may need adaptations, to convince him it's worthwhile committing to the club.
  • Letting best players go - Mitoma - Pedro - Estupinan are likely to attract decent offers soon. They are crucial to De Zerbi's style
  • Not Overpaying for players - Current injury crisis could derail a great start - we need good players ready to go - never cheap.
  • Wage Structure - The main reason why players look to move once established

The issue with our transfer policy is that it forces the coach to start again each season.
Having taken a good squad to Europe and carrying on with a weakened team, he won't want to go back to square one again next season (or in January).

If the club feel that we need to find a less ambitious manager who will deliver similar results without wanting more, then they can stick to their policies.

Bloom has adapted the policies regularly. They aren't static, so there's every chance Bloom will back De Zerbi.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Next few weeks are make and break IMO.

RDZ has been very vocal in terms of additions and recruitment, the club either back him or they don’t.

New contract if the visions align, end of the road in RDZ eyes if they don’t.

OTT? Possibly, but I think RDZ is playing a very clever game in recent interviews and feels he needs to be backed. I’m not sure the club share the same policy and that only ends up with one winner.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Problem is, RDZ is getting results - such as last night - DESPITE the injuries/lack of experience in the squad! That's testament to his ability, but also doesn't help with his negotiating.
I disagree.

Bloom is no mug and will understand De Zerbi's position implicitly.
He won't sit back and say, "why should I give you what you want? We're in a great position anyway?"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another factor will be the number of clubs needing to restrengthen in january
Spurs/Newcastle/United should all be looking to strengthen.
Meaning the cost of every half decent player will be massively exaggerated.
Traditionally this means we will bow out of negotiations.

De Zerbi acknowledges this is none of his business.
He may not be fully happy about that.
But he will be aware it makes the likelihood of getting what he needs, quite small.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Next few weeks are make and break IMO.

RDZ has been very vocal in terms of additions and recruitment, the club either back him or they don’t.

New contract if the visions align, end of the road in RDZ eyes if they don’t.

OTT? Possibly, but I think RDZ is playing a very clever game in recent interviews and feels he needs to be backed. I’m not sure the club share the same policy and that only ends up with one winner.
as mentioned above - there will be lots of well funded - bigger clubs looking to strengthen in January.
The market will be significantly over-valued as a result.
The club may not be able to back RDZ, even if they try to.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
So, last night, after watching probably (as the man said himself) probably the best 81 mins of the season from Brighton, I was a little taken aback by the lack of emotion on our famously emotional Italian. This morning wake up and watch the post match interview and not one smile passed his face. Even more so, he interrogated the interviewer on what it meant to be Brighton and rather on our identity focussed on the fact that we are three big players short in our squad. he looked like a powder keg about to explode.

Less than a few weeks ago he was running round the pitch in joy after beating Marseille!

I am desperately hoping that this is paranoia but is all well in the mind of the boss?
His emotion was all spent during the match - he was fine!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I disagree.

Bloom is no mug and will understand De Zerbi's position implicitly.
He won't sit back and say, "why should I give you what you want? We're in a great position anyway?"
Oh, I've no doubt that Bloom will back RDZ, I was just stating the facts. It makes it more difficult to ask for players when the ones you HAVE got are 'doing a job'. But Bloom gets it and he will also realise the toll that the sheer number of games will take on players – especially the young pups.

Plus, Bloom is a gambler, businessman and negotiator – there's no way he would ever just give RDZ exactly what he wanted. And nor will RDZ be expecting it, I don't think.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
From De Zerbi's perspective, he may need adaptations, to convince him it's worthwhile committing to the club.
  • Letting best players go - Mitoma - Pedro - Estupinan are likely to attract decent offers soon. They are crucial to De Zerbi's style
  • Not Overpaying for players - Current injury crisis could derail a great start - we need good players ready to go - never cheap.
  • Wage Structure - The main reason why players look to move once established

The issue with our transfer policy is that it forces the coach to start again each season.
Having taken a good squad to Europe and carrying on with a weakened team, he won't want to go back to square one again next season (or in January).

If the club feel that we need to find a less ambitious manager who will deliver similar results without wanting more, then they can stick to their policies.

Bloom has adapted the policies regularly. They aren't static, so there's every chance Bloom will back De Zerbi.
Re Letting our best players go: The deal for Ali Mac was done before the World Cup when RDZ had only just arrived and before he made the club change their strategy. The club refused to sell Caicedo in January despite massive pressure from his agent and then tried to keep him in the summer by putting a ridiculous price on his head only met by a lunatic with more money than sense. Colwill was never ours in the first place but we did try to sign him permanently. To me that shows that the clubs attitude has already changed but we will see what happens in the summer. We will not sell anyone we don't want to in this window. I agree that this is the key for RDZ.

Overpaying for players is not going to happen, we don't panic. If we can get them in on our terms then we will. RDZ will have to accept that (if he doesn't already) and like I said, that is how we assembled this squad in the first place.

Wage structure: that is not going to change, it will increase with success and revenue but we are not suddenly going to start paying players multiples of their current salary just because they demand it. That is the road to disaster. If that is what motivates players then so be it, there is nothing that we can do about that. Again RDZ will have to accept that if he doesn't already.

An ambitious manager is a good thing as it tests the club. But we also have an ambitious chairman who, unlike many, is not going to put the future of the club in peril for short term gain. The question I suppose is whether RDZ is as patient as TB is. I think he is but you never know.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I really think people read far to much into these interviews and over analyse them. The man has to do 4 or 5 interviews after each game,straight after the match with barely time to catch breath. He says something that isnt exactly what people want to hear and he suddenly has some agenda about this , that or the other

We all see things with a different perspective, and none of us are completly right about what he is thinking. Lets just enjoy where we are, and stop looking for things to be concerned about. The club has just finished its most succesful year ever and some seem to be looking for reasons to be pessimistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here