Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I being paranoid? De Zerbi

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
De Zerbi sees himself as a manager on Pep's level, probably thinks he's better than Arteta, Klopp etc.

He wants everyone to know he's only in the current position (8th) because of the club selling his players. Good managers have egos. Mourinho does this all the time too.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Bad decision? He was lucky to get a yellow……..
I watched the game round a Palace supporting mate’s house with three Palace ST holders (well it is Xmas…). And none of them thought it even a foul. He’s kicked the ball and Kulucevski has run in to him during his follow through. Lewis has done absolutely nothing wrong and the yellow should be rescinded

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
After rewatching RDZ recent videos and giving much thought.
RDZ is obviously struggling with his lack of fit first team players.
The club want to offer RDZ a new extension to his contract but since it was announced it appears to have gone quiet.
RDZ wants some extra first team ready players in the January transfer window and probably feels that selling our best players and not recruiting to the same standard while making in excess of £100 million is not the way to go.
TB has made it very clear doesn't like this transfer window I assume as it’s only a month long and tends to force negotiations so you pay more than intended.
RDZ is stalling waiting to see what happens in this transfer window while TB is stalling as he thinks RDZ will not walk with Europa League games still to come and instead spend in the summer window.
If that is correct then TB and RDZ are playing poker

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yes, paranoid.

People see/hear what they want to see/hear.

One way or another De Zerbi isn't going to be here long term. There's absolutely no need to read all sorts of negative shit into everything he says or does, he'll go when he goes. No point worrying about it and there's definitely no point projecting your worry/paranoia onto every meaningless action/statement.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This.

Buonanotte injured - after finally looking like an integral part of the team - And geez …. We’ve literally just got our LB back and our CB gets a stupid yellow meaning he misses our first match of 2024 against WHU who are riding high - I bet this is really what pissed RDZ off - at the ref or Dunk - you decide - But I’m wondering how can you be making a ‘reckless challenge’ if you are in possession of the ball? Looked to me like he slipped following through 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or was he lucky not to get a red?

Glad you posted that as only saw it in real time. I think people read into it what they want to i.e. you either see a slip (no card) or a player knows he has pushed it a little bit too far forward and making sure he doesn't loose it and then makes the contact he does which I guess could be a red. But I don't think anyone can know if there was intent other than Dunk and there was nothing in the game at that point to indicate there was intent so I don't see why it was a card at all. Spurs fans saying Bissouma and Romero sent off for similar and haven't seen either.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Well, TS's Alex Crook (he's very reliable) stated in the last hour that RDZ is about to sign a new contract with us. With the £10m compensation clause staying.
I guess this is similar to giving a player a big salary bump. We won't stand in his way if a good offer comes. So not much changes other than RDZ gets a big pay rise.

At least the real job is off the table now with ancelloti staying

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Re Letting our best players go: The deal for Ali Mac was done before the World Cup when RDZ had only just arrived and before he made the club change their strategy. The club refused to sell Caicedo in January despite massive pressure from his agent and then tried to keep him in the summer by putting a ridiculous price on his head only met by a lunatic with more money than sense. Colwill was never ours in the first place but we did try to sign him permanently. To me that shows that the clubs attitude has already changed but we will see what happens in the summer. We will not sell anyone we don't want to in this window. I agree that this is the key for RDZ.

Overpaying for players is not going to happen, we don't panic. If we can get them in on our terms then we will. RDZ will have to accept that (if he doesn't already) and like I said, that is how we assembled this squad in the first place.

Wage structure: that is not going to change, it will increase with success and revenue but we are not suddenly going to start paying players multiples of their current salary just because they demand it. That is the road to disaster. If that is what motivates players then so be it, there is nothing that we can do about that. Again RDZ will have to accept that if he doesn't already.

An ambitious manager is a good thing as it tests the club. But we also have an ambitious chairman who, unlike many, is not going to put the future of the club in peril for short term gain. The question I suppose is whether RDZ is as patient as TB is. I think he is but you never know.

The challenge is that RDZ has got us to a stronger position quicker than planned.

That brings questions into sharper focus.

I would argue that De Zerbi has given the reassurance necessary, by qualifying for the last 16 whilst staying in touch of European places under the most challenging circumstances.

The question is does Bloom trust him enough to change policies now.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I agree with the OP - I thought it was very odd he didn't celebrate our goals, even Purvis's screamer. Very unlike him. I must admit it did cross my mind that he was unhappy - and perhaps there have been unsatisfactory discussions with TB over his contract and possible January transfers. Or maybe another club had come in for him. Probably being completely batsh*t paranoid, though.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Re Letting our best players go: The deal for Ali Mac was done before the World Cup when RDZ had only just arrived and before he made the club change their strategy. The club refused to sell Caicedo in January despite massive pressure from his agent and then tried to keep him in the summer by putting a ridiculous price on his head only met by a lunatic with more money than sense. Colwill was never ours in the first place but we did try to sign him permanently. To me that shows that the clubs attitude has already changed but we will see what happens in the summer. We will not sell anyone we don't want to in this window. I agree that this is the key for RDZ.

Overpaying for players is not going to happen, we don't panic. If we can get them in on our terms then we will. RDZ will have to accept that (if he doesn't already) and like I said, that is how we assembled this squad in the first place.

Wage structure: that is not going to change, it will increase with success and revenue but we are not suddenly going to start paying players multiples of their current salary just because they demand it. That is the road to disaster. If that is what motivates players then so be it, there is nothing that we can do about that. Again RDZ will have to accept that if he doesn't already.

An ambitious manager is a good thing as it tests the club. But we also have an ambitious chairman who, unlike many, is not going to put the future of the club in peril for short term gain. The question I suppose is whether RDZ is as patient as TB is. I think he is but you never know.
Great comments - one point I would add is 'Overpaying for players is not going to happen, we don't panic' one example of where we did this was Locadia and we all know how that ended and that will be remembered by the club.

At the end of the day we have to trust Bloom's judgement it hasn't been that bad for us has it.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
He actually said in his Amazon interview that he couldnt be upset at how the game ended and that he was proud that we continued to play in that way and those are the consequences sometimes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Problem is, RDZ is getting results - such as last night - DESPITE the injuries/lack of experience in the squad! That's testament to his ability, but also doesn't help with his negotiating.
This.

“But Roberto, just imagine what you could achieve when you have Fati, Enciso, Veltman, March, Mitoma, Adingra, and Webster back. If I buy now, how will you keep the entire squad happy?”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
After rewatching RDZ recent videos and giving much thought.
RDZ is obviously struggling with his lack of fit first team players.
The club want to offer RDZ a new extension to his contract but since it was announced it appears to have gone quiet.
RDZ wants some extra first team ready players in the January transfer window and probably feels that selling our best players and not recruiting to the same standard while making in excess of £100 million is not the way to go.
TB has made it very clear doesn't like this transfer window I assume as it’s only a month long and tends to force negotiations so you pay more than intended.
RDZ is stalling waiting to see what happens in this transfer window while TB is stalling as he thinks RDZ will not walk with Europa League games still to come and instead spend in the summer window.
If that is correct then TB and RDZ are playing poker
Only one winner there, then.

As a semi-aside, here's a quesion, where would the club be if Caicedo and MacAllister had stayed and we'd SINGED Colwill? I guess it would've meant no Dahoud or Baleba (or getting the latter, but loaned out?) and maybe no Igor?

I know it's all theoretical (especially seeing as the two midfielder looks set (desperate in the case of the former) to leave), but players come and go – that's part of football. Would we be WAY better off with those three still here? I'm not so sure.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This.

“But Roberto, just imagine what you could achieve when you have Fati, Enciso, Veltman, March, Mitoma, Adingra, and Webster back. If I buy now, how will you keep the entire squad happy?”
You can say that but March, will he ever recover fully at his age? Who knows but certainly not for this season. Webster? Got his own physio bench, will be his last season with us.

Then there's the likes of Lallana. There's plenty of spaces in the 1st team squad.

Furthermore there's a lot being reported of other teams at the top unlikely to be rushing out and buying, we could really make a statement of intent in the next few weeks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This.

Buonanotte injured - after finally looking like an integral part of the team - And geez …. We’ve literally just got our LB back and our CB gets a stupid yellow meaning he misses our first match of 2024 against WHU who are riding high - I bet this is really what pissed RDZ off - at the ref or Dunk - you decide - But I’m wondering how can you be making a ‘reckless challenge’ if you are in possession of the ball? Looked to me like he slipped following through 🤷🏻‍♂️ Or was he lucky not to get a red?

Momentum - not even a foul back in the day…

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I agree with the OP - I thought it was very odd he didn't celebrate our goals, even Purvis's screamer. Very unlike him. I must admit it did cross my mind that he was unhappy - and perhaps there have been unsatisfactory discussions with TB over his contract and possible January transfers. Or maybe another club had come in for him. Probably being completely batsh*t paranoid, though.
Or maybe he was just intensely desperate for a home win after those dropped points...he knew not to celebrate against Spurs until the final whistle.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I don't. Almost anything is possible with this guy. Unless I missed something, he also didn't seem to celebrate our goals as he usually does.
I know you think I was being serious in my comment but I was just being silly. I always tell anyone asking if they are being paranoid that everyone else thinks they are paranoid. It amuses me because whilst that is the last thing anyone with genuine paranoia should be told, it is perfect for anyone using it as a figure of speech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here