Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I being paranoid? De Zerbi

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think that a decision is approaching for Bloom and Barber. Do they back De Zerbi in the transfer market so he can continue his brilliant work all happy and fulfilled. Or do they stick to what has worked for us so far and buy similar types of players to continue our rise (but more long term), even if this means moving down the list to the next manager.

De Zerbi is quietly demanding that he is given some money to spend/more players and is doing that publicly.

Naylor is posting Barbers program notes on twitter

"Football clubs function at their best with a clear vision, well-defined values and a true sense of togetherness from top to bottom, across all areas, and from pitch to stands. We have that at Brighton, and everyone is playing their part to maintain it."

Something is afoot and I am concerned that this tweet is about reminding us fans of what the club is all about.

Still, we are in good hands, so things will probably work out whichever way they go.

Barber says and writes this sort of stuff all the time. Managers say this stuff all the time especially during transfer windows. . And Bloom and Barber have always backed their managers and RDZ with new signings.
And NSC has had threads trying to interpret and look for “signs” in RDZ quotes and behaviour since the year dot - convinced there’s a row behind the scenes brewing.

Boringly there amost certainly isn’t.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Barber says and writes this sort of stuff all the time. Managers say this stuff all the time especially during transfer windows. . And Bloom and Barber have always backed their managers and RDZ with new signings.
And NSC has had threads trying to interpret and look for “signs” in RDZ quotes and behaviour since the year dot - convinced there’s a row behind the scenes brewing.

I am not suggesting there is a row brewing but there will be discussions going on about how the club moves forward. It appears to me that RDZ is looking for a change in policy around transfers in the short term. He is one of, if not the hottest young coach in Europe right now. He has both leverage and options and would be foolish not to use them to further his career.

Hopefully these discussion will be fruitful and drive the club on (one way or another).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am not suggesting there is a row brewing but there will be discussions going on about how the club moves forward. It appears to me that RDZ is looking for a change in policy around transfers in the short term. He is one of, if not the hottest young coach in Europe right now. He has both leverage and options and would be foolish not to use them to further his career.

Hopefully these discussion will be fruitful and drive the club on (one way or another)
What’s the change in policy that’s you think he’s pushing for ?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
RDZ has huge leverage here. He’s highly regarded and is at a club who have sold the best players and he has maximised what’s left. The only signing made that supports his quality and ambition was fati on loan. JP has turned out to be very good but he was a relatively cheap signing from the championship.

If I were looking after my own career progression I’d be seeking a tweak to policy too.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What’s the change in policy that’s you think he’s pushing for ?
Possibly policy is the wrong word but I think he is looking for some players in, or close to their prime on bigger wages with potentially larger transfer fees.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
RDZ has huge leverage here. He’s highly regarded and is at a club who have sold the best players and he has maximised what’s left. The only signing made that supports his quality and ambition was fati on loan. JP has turned out to be very good but he was a relatively cheap signing from the championship.

If I were looking after my own career progression I’d be seeking a tweak to policy too.
If I were looking after my own career progression I'd be seeking further stability and backing until THE job I wanted becomes available, when I'd be off like a scalded cat.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Hopefully these discussion will be fruitful and drive the club on (one way or another).
I disagree with this conclusion about RDZs comments. I have always felt that RDZ is stating the clubs policy to the press, and that Barber is reiterating that RDZ understands the clubs vision and is sharing it.

RDZ doesn't need to change Brightons policy to achieve what he wants in football. He will get a job at a bigger club than us one day, that is inevitable. He knows that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I disagree with this conclusion about RDZs comments. I have always felt that RDZ is stating the clubs policy to the press, and that Barber is reiterating that RDZ understands the clubs vision and is sharing it.

RDZ doesn't need to change Brightons policy to achieve what he wants in football. He will get a job at a bigger club than us one day, that is inevitable. He knows that.

Fair enough, my take is that he is looking to tweak the situation so he can stay with us for longer.

Hope it works out for him and us.

Gonna miss a game due to a bad decision by the ref now :angry:
I don't see why yellows can't be appealed post match. Every match in all professional leagues are video recorded. They could do it like the tennis overrule appeal. Say each club gets 2 appeals per player per season. If the appeal is won then they will still have two more. If it's denied they have one left. It would help both the affected players and the referee board to revisit some decisions.
Alternatively maybe when a booking leads to a suspension they review all the yellows at once before enforcement

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He was celebrating the 4th

yep….massive over-analysis of a few soundbite scraps thrown to the media.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The media narrative we are struggling this season must be incredibly tiresome. Since the start of October we have been absolutely decimated by injuries. We have played 17 matches. We have lost 3. City were clinging on grimly and needed a deflected goal, Chelsea should have been down to 9 men at 2-1 and got a soft pen so only Arsenal beat us convincingly.

Four clean sheets in Europe.

A few home draws where we should have won but another deflected goal and incredible keeping display by Trafford plus of course somehow failing to beat blades after the silly red.

To be one point off last season after selling Alexis and Caicedo with all of our injuries is absolutely incredible. Genuinely this season has been a bigger achievement imo.

Last night was the most entertaining game of football I have watched for this year. Two teams both wanting to attack. Brilliant stuff. West Ham next for moyesball.
Smashing post

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Trying to read a manager’s mind by picking apart what he says in his second language might not be the most reliable of methods. Nor is watching his body language during a game, but I must admit to being a little concerned about the De Zerbi cam footage of the Tottenham game. He didn’t seem to be enjoying it at all. When Estupinan scored his worldie, RDZ barely batted an eye while Maldera, in contrast, was going nuts in delight. There could be many reasons for this of course, but if you can’t crack a smile during one of our best Amex performances. …

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Trying to read a manager’s mind by picking apart what he says in his second language might not be the most reliable of methods. Nor is watching his body language during a game, but I must admit to being a little concerned about the De Zerbi cam footage of the Tottenham game. He didn’t seem to be enjoying it at all. When Estupinan scored his worldie, RDZ barely batted an eye while Maldera, in contrast, was going nuts in delight. There could be many reasons for this of course, but if you can’t crack a smile during one of our best Amex performances. …
Appeared very dour in the press conference earlier

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He either goes batshit crazy or he is emotionless and plays it cool. No in-between !!

Nothing new.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Appeared very dour in the press conference earlier
I wouldn’t read too much into that, like all Italian managers, he’ll just be exasperated by the sheer pathetic and dull as shit nature of our press conferences in this country. Italian journalists and conferences are for more educated about football and a lot more entertaining.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Possibly policy is the wrong word but I think he is looking for some players in, or close to their prime on bigger wages with potentially larger transfer fees.
That is the impression, based purely on what I've read here, there and everywhere, that I get too. Just an impression, nothing more - it would though, surely be a change of policy if it were to happen?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here