Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry Ian, but it’s not a good analogy, even if meant lightheartedly and indirectly. No-one’s going to react well to a mention of Nazis. You’d have been better off with some reference to, like, I dunno, “she must sometimes feel like she’s stuck in a world of Kafka / Catch 22 bureaucracy” or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowhere near as funny/offensive, depending on your point of view... :smile:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Can someone define humour and similarly the word offensive as we seem to have lost the meaning of both these words and how we deal with them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
But that's satire and making the point the British can't get over the war whilst younger Germans were trying to "get on with it".

The joke is all on Basil, bit like this thread.

John Cleese:

Does it still show the scene with the Major patrolling with his elephant gun? Be very surprised that still makes screening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Both episodes are shown with warnings about language and context of the time they were made.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
“Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.“

When I had to man the phones back in the day, I took a lot more flack than that, due to the poor service offered by my employer. It goes with the territory . In the context, any reasonable person would know from your tone of voice that you were not being offensive. However, people are too quick to take offence these days. Forget it and move on.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.

She found this analogy, in her words, extremely offensive, and I have received an official communication from her line manager reiterating this fact.

It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Basically we stopped them delaying a funeral because of some nit picking, and ultimately the families we look after are the ones paying the bill, both mine and that of the crematorium.

What a strange thing to say.
And As for putting this out to the nsc masses......are you drunk, Harty?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. He should send the kid a bunch of flowers by way of apology. IMHO, like.

FFS, don't do that, whatever you do! You'll get a stern letter about sexual harassment!

(a polite e-mail, saying sorry for any offence, would probably suffice)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
What I don’t understand is why when talking to complete stranger on a specific topic you decided that mentioning Nazi’s was a good idea?

Ridiculous analogy to use with a complete stranger.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I suppose nobody has at any point considered the young lady in question might have been Jewish, which rather changes the picture?
"There's been a rape up there!"

"GET THEIR ATTENTION".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
hqdefault.jpg

I still find this scene hilarious. Guess that makes me a dinosaur.

I still find the scene with the Major talking about taking his lady friend to see India ..... at the Oval ! very funny. So I'm clearly a dinosaur too. As to [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] - she was a council employee - what did you expect ? It's a rule they are as thick as two short planks and have no sense of humour. I've never met a single one I'd employ.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite how people are conflating the comedy genius of Cleese and Mel Brooks with the unfunny comments of a funeral director from Worthing is beyond me.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I still find the scene with the Major talking about taking his lady friend to see India ..... at the Oval ! very funny. So I'm clearly a dinosaur too. As to [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] - she was a council employee - what did you expect ? It's a rule they are as thick as two short planks and have no sense of humour. I've never met a single one I'd employ.

I am glad I don't know you then, jebus.....

what a sweeping generalisation about thousands of people who do extremely good and important work (including the vulnerable/in care/homeless) for the for the council.

You need to look at yourself and ask why you still find that funny
1: your laughing with the general at the story. - you have a problem.
2: your now laughing at how absurd and rascally stupid the general was -- i am still not sure it is funny or ever was to be honest, it is actually sad.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I am glad I don't know you then, jebus.....

what a sweeping generalisation about thousands of people who do extremely good and important work (including the vulnerable/in care/homeless) for the for the council.

You need to look at yourself and ask why you still find that funny
1: your laughing with the general at the story. - you have a problem.
2: your now laughing at how absurd and rascally stupid the general was -- i am still not sure it is funny or ever was to be honest, it is actually sad.

It’s no secret most council employees would be unemployable in the real world. Too daft and too extreme lefty ,

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Funny you write that, when it is clear by reading the Mail or Express, or just talking to my older in-laws and others of their age, that these are some of the most intolerant people around. In both cases you just continually hear disparaging remarks about gay people, the young, people on benefits, the EU, the Labour party, environmentalists, muslims, foreigners, and so on and so forth. So much intolerance and yet its the millenials who get it in the neck.

What you really want is for people to be tolerant of intolerant people.

Yet here you are being disparaging about Mail readers, Express readers and people older than you. Need to be a bit more tolerant too methinks:whistle:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It appears ever more people are looking at ways to be offended.

True. For example, last year on the Brexit thread you cried like a fat kid in a gym class and then flounced off for weeks despite people tagging you.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
True. For example, last year on the Brexit thread you cried like a fat kid in a gym class and then flounced off for weeks despite people tagging you.

I’m not sure I “cried like a fat kid in a gym class” and I decided to give the thread miss for a while, it was going down the student union route. What is a flounce? and why would people tagging Me automatically require Me to respond?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m not sure I “cried like a fat kid in a gym class” and I decided to give the thread miss for a while, it was going down the student union route. What is a flounce? and why would people tagging Me automatically require Me to respond?

Don’t worry, it’s only bantz

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here