Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's just a consequence of the relentless march of time and our changing sensibilities.

Once upon a time Elvis' dancing was considered vulgar. Which seems f**king ridiculous given what we have ready access to on our phones, laptops and TV screens.

I realise I'm generalising and I apologise but seems to me that the old will always shake their fists and exclaim "Ya damn kids and yer things and stuff" whilst the young will go "Ugh, come on old-timer, get with the times". Then those young people will get old and the cycle continues.

I'm 35 this year and can feel myself getting more curmudgeonly every day.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am glad I don't know you then, jebus.....

what a sweeping generalisation about thousands of people who do extremely good and important work (including the vulnerable/in care/homeless) for the for the council.

You need to look at yourself and ask why you still find that funny
1: your laughing with the general at the story. - you have a problem.
2: your now laughing at how absurd and rascally stupid the general was -- i am still not sure it is funny or ever was to be honest, it is actually sad.

I've dealt with dozens of B&H council employees and to a tee they are "computer said no" brain dead robots. No understanding of customer service - indeed they don't even accept the taxpayer IS their customer. I've also dealt with dozens of councils up and down the country and they are all in efficient, with no common sense, can't 'think outside the box', slow and generally couldn't give a toss.

B&H's planning and council tax departments can take gold medals in being utter morons.

None would survive in private enterprise.

As for finding Fawlty Towers funny ..... tough shit.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It's hard to believe someone who works in an industry where tact and politeness are essential can't work out why someone wouldn't like being referred to as a fascist jobsworth.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've dealt with dozens of B&H council employees and to a tee they are "computer said no" brain dead robots. No understanding of customer service - indeed they don't even accept the taxpayer IS their customer. I've also dealt with dozens of councils up and down the country and they are all in efficient, with no common sense, can't 'think outside the box', slow and generally couldn't give a toss.

Ok, your reply speaks volumes and I won't bother coming back at ya, it is simply not worth the effort.

Have a good evening.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Here's my take on it. I'm same age as Lenny so it's the sort of joke I might have made a few years back. However, in these times I would have had the sense not to use the analogy. What irks me in this scenario is if Lenny offered an apology directly to the young administration person why did she feel the need to then pass it on to her boss who then contacted Lenny. Just let it go FFS!

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Wouldn't have been offensive to me personally. I wonder if her reaction would have been different if you had said similar about Stalin... I doubt she would have batted an eyelid.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

B&H's planning and council tax departments can take gold medals in being utter morons.

And yet I'm sure they will all have immensely positive impressions from dealing with such an obviously intelligent, flexible, forward thinking and successful person as yourself ???

As far as the OP goes, you made a bit of a stupid comment, and if it had been me, I would have apologised when told it was offensive to her. Doesn't make you a dinosaur, out of touch or offensive, just a bit unprofessional. And if I had been her I would have told you I found it offensive and left it at that :shrug:

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I think one of the weirdest things about this thread is old people insisting that the current generation are a bunch of delicate snowflakes.

A generation where the most common insult is ‘nonce’ and telling someone to kill themselves is a valid reply to almost anything are all a bunch of PC snowflakes. :lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Absolutely brilliantly put - and so true. "Those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all"

Only downside is that those to whom it applies will never realise it applies to them................

I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Tho if it takes being offensive to get to a manager, i'd argue your communication skills aren't up to scratch.

Oh, the timing is delicious for the first line.

And the second line, really?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Here's my take on it. I'm same age as Lenny so it's the sort of joke I might have made a few years back. However, in these times I would have had the sense not to use the analogy. What irks me in this scenario is if Lenny offered an apology directly to the young administration person why did she feel the need to then pass it on to her boss who then contacted Lenny. Just let it go FFS!

He makes no mention in his opening post about offering any apology :shrug:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Funny you write that, when it is clear by reading the Mail or Express, or just talking to my older in-laws and others of their age, that these are some of the most intolerant people around. In both cases you just continually hear disparaging remarks about gay people, the young, people on benefits, the EU, the Labour party, environmentalists, muslims, foreigners, and so on and so forth. So much intolerance and yet its the millenials who get it in the neck.

What you really want is for people to be tolerant of intolerant people.

A bit of a sweeping generalisation re “old people “. Being in my late 70’s I do not think I match your description and cannot think of any of my peers who hold such intolerant views you describe.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's hard to believe someone who works in an industry where tact and politeness are essential can't work out why someone wouldn't like being referred to as a fascist jobsworth.

Has anyone mentioned ‘gallows humour’? Or is that not allowed anymore too?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It has nothing to do with being "woke", or "right on", or "PC gone mad" or anything like that. It was a dick move by the OP (I accept not through any malice, but still a dick move).

Or fanny...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Someone at work was talking about how many complaints Netflix has had from youngsters about “how un pc” friends is.

I don’t see it? I’m in my 30’s for reference

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Someone at work was talking about how many complaints Netflix has had from youngsters about “how un pc” friends is.

I don’t see it? I’m in my 30’s for reference

I read that - apparently they think it's homophobic, sexist and anti-Semitic :facepalm: Really, get a fvcking sense of humour ..... and perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here