[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I appreciate your point and of course the inhuman acts of evil bestowed upon the Jews by the Nazi's which, while learning of these horrors, moved me to tears, but many people suffered death and destruction because of the Nazi's including, I'm guessing, most of our families on here. It is the ridiculousness of comparing Worthing Council to the Nazi's that is where the humour is. Some of us can see that and are therefore not offended. My favourite comedy of all time 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' the cast of which are predominantly Jewish, would have most of the easily offended on here apoplectic with it's Jewish /Nazi humour. Life is very short, have a f*****g laugh for Christ's sake.

Where's the Thumbs Down when you need it? :rolleyes:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I appreciate your point and of course the inhuman acts of evil bestowed upon the Jews by the Nazi's which, while learning of these horrors, moved me to tears, but many people suffered death and destruction because of the Nazi's including, I'm guessing, most of our families on here. It is the ridiculousness of comparing Worthing Council to the Nazi's that is where the humour is. Some of us can see that and are therefore not offended. My favourite comedy of all time 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' the cast of which are predominantly Jewish, would have most of the easily offended on here apoplectic with it's Jewish /Nazi humour. Life is very short, have a f*****g laugh for Christ's sake.

Love Curb Your Enthusiasm, the fatwa series was genius, however they are catering to an audience, as is any entertainment. The point really isn't whether the girl is or isn't offended, or whether she should or shouldn't be, the point is whether in all good taste, an undertaker on the phone to the council about regulations making a joke about Nazis to someone they've never spoken for is lacking judgement. I wouldn't expect to crack a joke about Irishmen, Mother-in-laws, either - not because I necessarily fear causing offense, just not sounding like a dick on the phone.

I wouldn't have been offended on the other end of the phone either, but I would have been WTF. :shrug:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wow .... what society do we live in whereby a quip meant without offence causes letters to be written. If, I I have to say I think there's a significant overreaction here, it did need addressing pick up the phone and have a chat. We are creating a sterile society whereby barriers are being built because people are too concerned about causing an offence or enquiring about issues with people for fear of offence.

Yes, there are the very obvious concerns with regard to race, sexuality etc but I fear we'll just find it easy to keep ourselves to ourselves, be careful what you wish for.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
an undertaker on the phone to the council about regulations making a joke about Nazis to someone they've never spoken for is lacking judgement.

I even find humour in your post! Humour can be at it's funniest when it isn't expected and even when it isn't appropriate. Many of us will find it funny because of this and knowing it can offend the 'always offended' brigade makes it funnier. We're all different, thank God, and see things differently.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow .... what society do we live in whereby a quip meant without offence causes letters to be written. If, I I have to say I think there's a significant overreaction here, it did need addressing pick up the phone and have a chat. We are creating a sterile society whereby barriers are being built because people are too concerned about causing an offence or enquiring about issues with people for fear of offence.

Yes, there are the very obvious concerns with regard to race, sexuality etc but I fear we'll just find it easy to keep ourselves to ourselves, be careful what you wish for.

I've not seen a single person on NSC overreact?

A few differences of opinion, but no overreactions, certainly nothing significant. What have I missed that has caused you to conclude there is significant overraction?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've not seen a single person on NSC overreact?

A few differences of opinion, but no overreactions, certainly nothing significant. What have I missed that has caused you to conclude there is significant overraction?

Sorry, my point is I felt there was an overreaction on the part of the council, i.e. offence, letter writing etc. However, I am offended that you thought I was offended although hope that didn't offend you

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
This. They were only following... procedures. Just like every council employee is legally bound to do. No two ways about it, OP was bang out of order. Frustration with the procedure obviously got the better of him. He should send the kid a bunch of flowers by way of apology. IMHO, like.

Flowers yes. Seems strange for Lenny to bite the hand that feeds him albeit in jest.
As a Council worker myself, I would find ways of losing his paperwork in future ha ha

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Flowers yes. Seems strange for Lenny to bite the hand that feeds him albeit in jest.
As a Council worker myself, I would find ways of losing his paperwork in future ha ha

Flowers ... to encourage this type of reaction, crikey, I'm from a time long, long ago!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, my point is I felt there was an overreaction on the part of the council, i.e. offence, letter writing etc. However, I am offended that you thought I was offended although hope that didn't offend you

What's your address? I need to send you a formal letter of apology for misreading your point. :thumbsup: :D

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Honest answer ?

Nothing to do with political correctness or the modern world.

You acted like a knob and have pissed someone off.

That applied in the 1970s too.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to come out in support of the OP. People should be able to say the word ' Nazis' without other people getting offended when the word is used in context, i.e. you were only following orders. At this rate nobody under 30 will get the humour in "The Producers", the brilliant film and stage play by American Jew Mel Brooks with the unforgettable "Springtime for Hitler" song.

I am a massive Alan Partridge fans - and the OP's comment was classic Partridge gone wrong - but The Producers is arguably the greatest piece of comic genius I've ever come across.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What's your address? I need to send you a formal letter of apology for misreading your point. :thumbsup: :D

You should know that any formal correspondence puts me under unnecessary and unwarranted stress, in fact, even the suggestion of it offends me, I'll await my carrier pigeon, feed it and return it to you without delay.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was no need for the quip. I wonder why you felt the need to ask Nsc.

This.

Sorry [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] but you are turning into grizzling gammon. The world isn't like it was in the 60s. :shrug:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Refuse to be moderated by the sensitivities of others and make sure that whatever you say in an effort to get a laugh, would actually get a laugh from a roomful of likeminded peers.

We need to equip everyone in society with robust hiking boots. Paving the jungle is not the answer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm going to come out in support of the OP. People should be able to say the word ' Nazis' without other people getting offended when the word is used in context, i.e. you were only following orders. At this rate nobody under 30 will get the humour in "The Producers", the brilliant film and stage play by American Jew Mel Brooks with the unforgettable "Springtime for Hitler" song.

I am a massive Alan Partridge fans - and the OP's comment was classic Partridge gone wrong - but The Producers is arguably the greatest piece of comic genius I've ever come across.

I love all that stuff too. But I understand you have to avoid florid analogy at work. It really isn't rocket science.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports