[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Yes surely a case of engage your brain before opening your mouth. Especially as you will probably have to deal with the young lady again at some point.

She's probably signed off sick now with 'stress.' What's amusing is if you ring the council and ask to speak to a 'line manager' about say a problem with ya bin collection I guarantee you wouldn't get to speak to one, but say something 'offensive' and they come crawling out the woodwork.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What else would you expect from a Council? They are stuffed full of liberal, leftie snowflakes. They are more concerned with 'diversity and inclusion, than they are with providing the services we pay our CT for. That stupid bird who was 'offended' is typical of the types who work for the council. I bet she's a vegan and the comment you made has 'affected her mental health.'

:ffsparr:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think today’s generation have ironically been programmed, like following some order sent down from the social media gods, to seek offence where none is intended and possess a list of key words including Nazi that sets off some chain reaction in their brain that screams I am offended. Let’s face it half of millennials don’t know what one is such is their poor knowledge of history as studies show so quite how they’re offended I don’t know. Harty, we live in a world now where those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all, fanatically so. And consequently you’re only a Twitter away from being ‘shamed’ whatever the facts are, they’re irrelevant now. People only understand their perspective (ie not more senior generations!) and hell hath no fury like a millennial scorned. In that respect, you’ve been naive nothing more. Even if I were offended by such a quip, official letter etc is a bit OTT. Sound like the bee got trapped in her bonnet.

Absolutely brilliantly put - and so true. "Those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all" would get my vote to replace 'were loose' on the NSC banner if ever it's decided to change it.
Only downside is that those to whom it applies will never realise it applies to them................

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
She's probably signed off sick now with 'stress.' What's amusing is if you ring the council and ask to speak to a 'line manager' about say a problem with ya bin collection I guarantee you wouldn't get to speak to one, but say something 'offensive' and they come crawling out the woodwork.

Rightly so too. If I were a manager and one of my team were being subjected to offensive language i'd be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake. Tho if it takes being offensive to get to a manager, i'd argue your communication skills aren't up to scratch.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
What else would you expect from a Council? They are stuffed full of liberal, leftie snowflakes. They are more concerned with 'diversity and inclusion, than they are with providing the services we pay our CT for. That stupid bird who was 'offended' is typical of the types who work for the council. I bet she's a vegan and the comment you made has 'affected her mental health.'

. . . and will probably have to have a week off work and go for counselling too !!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Deserved? Not sure. Unnecessary, definitely

Letting someone who has been a jobsworth or a “computer says no” person that they have been a wanker is unnecessary? Not imo. How you tell them is open to debate though I agree.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I still find the whole Fawlty Towers thing very funny but possibly because I’m laughing at Basil Fawlty for being such a prat where as many seem to see him as a fricking role model!

Exactly. The German party are very clearly the wronged people in the episode.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely brilliantly put - and so true. "Those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all" would get my vote to replace 'were loose' on the NSC banner if ever it's decided to change it.
Only downside is that those to whom it applies will never realise it applies to them................

With you on that. I’m guessing that you are what is termed as a dinosaur too though?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You're wondering why anyone would be offended by being compared to the Nazis?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I suppose nobody has at any point considered the young lady in question might have been Jewish, which rather changes the picture?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
10 or 15 years ago one guy in the team I was managing was particularly hopeless and lazy and I refused to let him get away with it unchallenged. He ended up leaving and in the chat we had when he handed his notice in I took a conciliatory tone and spoke about work, pressures of work etc - skirting around his incompetence but discussing how people are different, teams need a certain balance and we all need to be adaptable and getting the right work/life balance is a challenge at times etc. I mention how I'd love to spend more time with the kids and at home and his response was ' yes, I'd imagine even Hitler would have felt he should have spent more time with the kids', or something very similar. Hitler was definitely mentioned!

It was hilarious. I didn't know he had it in him, it took a certain degree of wit and intelligence to muster such a retort that I thought he was incapable of. I was so amused that I told the rest of the team and they dined out on it for ages, piss taking sods.

I'm so disappointed that it didn't happen more recently. I could have retired on the pay out for a bullying claim.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Really? What about the 'actual' meaning of the Swastika and the one you see plastered all over palaces, temples etc in Asia ?

'The Swastika is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.[1] It is also a sign of spiritual purity. The swastika was a letter in the ancient Sanskrit language. It meant luck or well being.[1] It is also found on Byzantine buildings, Ancient Greek coinage and in Native American burial sites.[1]'

Normally the swastika as a sign of peace would have been the other way round. The Nazis reversed it.

I say normally, because just having checked, it was used both ways as a sign of peace and is a Buddhist symbol. But I think it would be quite easy to tell normally the difference between the Nazi symbol and the symbol being used in the peace mode.

But as for the original story, anyone using the word Nazi - particularly to a complete stranger - should expect to get flamed. A couple of months ago, before the Election, I was talking to our Conservative MP who was doing a street surgery. I didn't want to talk to him, was brought in to the conversation by someone else. He asked me my views on the current situation and I made a comment about being concerned about the similarities between the current situation and Germany in the 1930s, by which I meant the rubbishing of experts, the use of propaganda, the concept that if you tell a lie often and loudly enough, people will believe it, the blaming of foreigners etc etc. He asked me if I was comparing Johnson to Adolf Hitler, which I thought I very obviously wasn't.

But it was he who asked me the question and he received an answer that he didn't like. It's a bit different to the OP's story.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Letting someone who has been a jobsworth or a “computer says no” person that they have been a wanker is unnecessary? Not imo. How you tell them is open to debate though I agree.

Yes. And as a person of similar age to the OP I would not talk to someone half my age like that given they were merely doing their job. They weren’t rude. As it is, the issue was resolved so there was no need to top it off with belittling.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
hqdefault.jpg

I still find this scene hilarious. Guess that makes me a dinosaur.

It's hardly comparable to the situation in the OP though,is it.

For my point of view, yes it was out of line -as others have said, without knowing the background of the other person involved it's just not a suitable comment to make. I think probably too many people make offhand comments in the belief that everybody will interpret them the way they would themselves if said to them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. And as a person of similar age to the OP I would not talk to someone half my age like that given they were merely doing their job. They weren’t rude. As it is, the issue was resolved so there was no need to top it off with belittling.

This. They were only following... procedures. Just like every council employee is legally bound to do. No two ways about it, OP was bang out of order. Frustration with the procedure obviously got the better of him. He should send the kid a bunch of flowers by way of apology. IMHO, like.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I suppose nobody has at any point considered the young lady in question might have been Jewish, which rather changes the picture?

I appreciate your point and of course the inhuman acts of evil bestowed upon the Jews by the Nazi's which, while learning of these horrors, moved me to tears, but many people suffered death and destruction because of the Nazi's including, I'm guessing, most of our families on here. It is the ridiculousness of comparing Worthing Council to the Nazi's that is where the humour is. Some of us can see that and are therefore not offended. My favourite comedy of all time 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' the cast of which are predominantly Jewish, would have most of the easily offended on here apoplectic with it's Jewish /Nazi humour. Life is very short, have a f*****g laugh for Christ's sake.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports