Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.

She found this analogy, in her words, extremely offensive, and I have received an official communication from her line manager reiterating this fact.

It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Basically we stopped them delaying a funeral because of some nit picking, and ultimately the families we look after are the ones paying the bill, both mine and that of the crematorium.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d be reminding them if they had of reached the conclusion that they did anyway without the hassle then there would have been no need for any of it to happen.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.

She found this analogy, in her words, extremely offensive, and I have received an official communication from her line manager reiterating this fact.

It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Basically we stopped them delaying a funeral because of some nit picking, and ultimately the families we look after are the ones paying the bill, both mine and that of the crematorium.

I fear because of your status not only on this board but to the club and community in general you may not get a true reflection, of what people honestly think, however if you hacked BG’s account and posted the same question the thread would end up in the NSC gold section.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We all become dinosaurs at some point.

Probably using the word 'nazi' is now borderline at best.

NSC used to regularly call Martin Perry "Obergruppenfuhrer Perry", I'm not sure that these days something similar would be received in such good spirit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You're not a dinosaur or offensive, but your quip was I think justifiably interpreted as offensive.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

It appears ever more people are looking at ways to be offended.
Gone are the days of sorting differences with a few exchanges of choice words, the occasional straightener and a beer down the boozer. We live in world now where it’s easier to grass someone up than engage in conversation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Big fan of Harty but, nah, you can't say that sort of thing anymore. If I said anything like that to an admin clerk of a lender I could get struck off their panel. The World has changed

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sorry Ian, but it’s not a good analogy, even if meant lightheartedly and indirectly. No-one’s going to react well to a mention of Nazis. You’d have been better off with some reference to, like, I dunno, “she must sometimes feel like she’s stuck in a world of Kafka / Catch 22 bureaucracy” or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think today’s generation have ironically been programmed, like following some order sent down from the social media gods, to seek offence where none is intended and possess a list of key words including Nazi that sets off some chain reaction in their brain that screams I am offended. Let’s face it half of millennials don’t know what one is such is their poor knowledge of history as studies show so quite how they’re offended I don’t know. Harty, we live in a world now where those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all, fanatically so. And consequently you’re only a Twitter away from being ‘shamed’ whatever the facts are, they’re irrelevant now. People only understand their perspective (ie not more senior generations!) and hell hath no fury like a millennial scorned. In that respect, you’ve been naive nothing more. Even if I were offended by such a quip, official letter etc is a bit OTT. Sound like the bee got trapped in her bonnet.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Obama nailed it:

How has he nailed it ? He didn't mention Worthing council.

I'm not sure that the OPs incident is worthy of debate really. It should be obvious to anyone that he was unnecessarily rude to the clerk. And that's all really.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Constantly have this type of conversation with my dad, clearly it’s a generational thing.

Whilst someone of my generation - 80’s born - might appreciate it being a light hearted quip we can also see why today’s you get generations are programmed to find things like this less acceptable and those of you in older generations need to be mindful of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here