Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] All Brighton & Hove primary schools to switch to online learning from Monday ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about if your wife was pregnant and you were forced to miss the birth because you were told to self isolate ? Happened to a teacher I know just before Christmas.

sure thats related to be a teacher? maternity wards have largely had blanket no partner rule.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, I wasn’t going to quote that post as it mucks up the quotes even more and gets confusing :)

Yes I’m not sure of your point with the facepalm

The apparent flippancy of kids missing a few weeks of education as it doesn’t matter ..totally ignores the individual circumstances of each child and how much they already may have lost...just my view

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The apparent flippancy of kids missing a few weeks of education as it doesn’t matter ..totally ignores the individual circumstances of each child and how much they already may have lost...just my view

I think at the moment saving lives is far more important, missing education is obviously important.

We have obviously never experienced anything like this in our lifetime, things like missing a few weeks education are not really important as saving lives.
I know COVID was spreading like wildfire in many schools before Christmas.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
such a blanket statement is unsupported, and rejected by educational experts normally. at certain ages education is crucial to long term development, not to mention exams for 5/6th formers. this needs to be reflected in schools policy, some age groups go in with others not as last resort. unfortunatly government and union seem to care more about ideology, and the educationalist are drowned out.

That's exactly what schools are doing: Years 11 and 13 (5th and 6th formers in old money) are going in as they have exams coming up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think at the moment saving lives is far more important, missing education is obviously important.

We have obviously never experienced anything like this in our lifetime, things like missing a few weeks education are not really important as saving lives.
I know COVID was spreading like wildfire in many schools before Christmas.

It’s more than a few weeks for some though isn’t it ...and as I said it seemed flippant to me ...oh and by the way my daughter is a teacher which comes into my thinking

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes I would. That is my genuine answer.

I can honestly say that I would be at school every day without fail.

When you go to work do you make the environment Covid safe? When we have had tradesme / cleaners etc in, it’s been masks, only essential personnel in the same room etc.

That’s impossible in a school environment.

Not to put your job down, very important and key work. You make places safe to work in but you’re not a teacher so I can’t believe you’d know how you’d react in their situation.

Off topic - what’s the biggest rat you’ve terminated?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
sure thats related to be a teacher? maternity wards have largely had blanket no partner rule.

That isn’t true. Birth partners are allowed provided they do not have symptoms of coronavirus. This situation is very much related to being a teacher because so many of them are currently self isolating because of transmission from the kids. The Maths department at the school I am talking about has been decimated.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why didn’t the govt see this coming, we should have been planning for worse case for this back in October, definitely once r case started to rise before Xmas and beyond doubt now our hospitals are over loaded. So let’s just keep kids at home for two weeks (just as secondary kids are) see how bad the Xmas blip is because too many people have ignored the govt rules (you know who you are) and then make a decision. Otherwise it could you or your family member being turned away at A&E because there are no beds, it doesn’t bear thinking

Anyone understand this?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Nurses- All in PPE, I’m not going to disrespect any NHS staff, but they are paid to save lives. ( I’ve probably said the wrong thing here )

Good job they don’t make a fuss and carry on.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It’s more than a few weeks for some though isn’t it ...and as I said it seemed flippant to me ...oh and by the way my daughter is a teacher which comes into my thinking

If your daughter is a teacher I’m surprised by your comments TBH. Surely you are concerned for her health?
Mrs BN9 works in education, she was talking on Zoom to some friends that are ex colleagues last night, teachers, a head teacher and teaching assistants, all very, very worried.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Why didn’t the govt see this coming, we should have been planning for worse case for this back in October, definitely once r case started to rise before Xmas and beyond doubt now our hospitals are over loaded. So let’s just keep kids at home for two weeks (just as secondary kids are) see how bad the Xmas blip is because too many people have ignored the govt rules (you know who you are) and then make a decision. Otherwise it could you or your family member being turned away at A&E because there are no beds, it doesn’t bear thinking

Have you seen any evidence of what the effect of those two weeks will be...you know to back up your suggestion ...whether it be right or wrong......any links?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If your daughter is a teacher I’m surprised by your comments TBH. Surely you are concerned for her health?
Mrs BN9 works in education, she was talking on Zoom to some friends that are ex colleagues last night, teachers, a head teacher and teaching assistants, all very, very worried.

Which comment in particular and please dont question how I feel about my daughters health

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Considering the facts that the groups with the largest infection rates at the moment are apparently Secondary School children and Primary School children, and that SAGE advised that schools should not be reopened at the start of term with infection rates through the roof, this was inevitable.

This incompetent government should quite clearly have made this decision, not the Unions and the Council.

As a teacher, I am enormously relieved that I will not immediately be exposed to potential danger.

Indeed.

Universities still ****ing about, though. We got an email on Christmas eve at 5 pm to say that there will be no more on campus teaching for non-professional students till further notice. That's after I spent countless hours in December arranging first one then another complex plan to deliver on site teaching. No skin off my nose, but what about the poor students, dragged back to campus from around the country (and world in some cases) to spend lots of money to stay in halls and flats in central London for a couple of ours contact teaching a week (now cancelled) just to stop them having frounds to demand their fees back? I advised a few on here last April to get their kids to defer uni a year if they could. I hope they took my advice. And parents in work now faced with last minute child care arrangements? It isn't as if we haven't been through this before....:mad:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That isn’t true. Birth partners are allowed provided they do not have symptoms of coronavirus. This situation is very much related to being a teacher because so many of them are currently self isolating because of transmission from the kids. The Maths department at the school I am talking about has been decimated.

I’ve known non teachers not allowed to be at the birth of a child

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Schools and universities should have never let pupils back en masse. I’m lead to believe it’s one of the biggest factors of the further spreading?
It’s a pretty ridiculous idea to cram 30 snotty kids into a classroom and push a teacher in front of them.
It wouldn’t have done most students any long term harm if we had just paused all education for a year.
Plenty of online sources to keep the old bonce on form .
Then they can all head down to the skate park at Beach green while the police look at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here