Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] All Brighton & Hove primary schools to switch to online learning from Monday ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nurses- All in PPE, I’m not going to disrespect any NHS staff, but they are paid to save lives. ( I’ve probably said the wrong thing here )

Good job they don’t make a fuss and carry on.

I knew someone would twist this around, hence the part in brackets, I knew I should NOT commented on nurses, sorry.
100% respect to them but they do deal with other illnesses that are contagious.

Who is going to save lives if they don’t go to work?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I knew someone would twist this around, hence the part in brackets, I knew I should NOT commented on nurses, sorry.
100% respect to them but they do deal with other illnesses that are contagious.

Who is going to save lives if they don’t go to work?

Only pulling your leg. My wife works on The Trevor Mann unit on an isolation ward at Brighton. Thankfully they’re well protected, but still a worry. She’s having her second vaccination jab tomorrow so hopefully covered.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Which comment in particular and please dont question how I feel about my daughters health

Comments- Facepalm to TB, education seems more important than keeping kids off school for a couple of weeks.
Covid cases have gone through the roof, things are far worse now than when the schools went back last year.
I’m not sure what was actually wrong with Thinderbolts post TBH.

Oh I’m sorry about asking a fair question about a family member, this definitely wouldn’t offend me if someone asked the same about my wife. My wife is in an office at her school but I still obviously worry.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You are in no more danger than supermarket workers,, doctors, nurses, bus drivers and many other professions.

Go to work.

You clearly have no idea what it is like being in a school though this pandemic.
Add to that the fact that when the schools arent open through the pandemic, teachers are still working.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Only pulling your leg. My wife works on The Trevor Mann unit on an isolation ward at Brighton. Thankfully they’re well protected, but still a worry. She’s having her second vaccination jab tomorrow so hopefully covered.

Sorry Banjo, no problem. Wish her well. One of my lads was in there for a few weeks when born 17 years back.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve known non teachers not allowed to be at the birth of a child

Perhaps they had symptoms ? I think you are missing the point I am making in any case. Last term was a debacle in many schools. Attendance around 50 % in some schools around here and dozens of staff at many schools either down with the virus or self isolating. Teaching has become a dangerous job, particularly for older staff.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Comments- Facepalm to TB, education seems more important than keeping kids off school for a couple of weeks.
Covid cases have gone through the roof, things are far worse now than when the schools went back last year.
I’m not sure what was actually wrong with Thinderbolts post TBH.

Oh I’m sorry about asking a fair question about a family member, this definitely wouldn’t offend me if someone asked the same about my wife. My wife is in an office at her school but I still obviously worry.

If you read it again it says

“Missing a few weeks off school isn’t important”

I’ve said what I think about that actual comment because I think it ignores the importance of education and ignores how much they may of missed already and their own individual circumstances...having your wife in education you will know that not everything is rosey for each child ...with my daughter being a teacher I get to know a lot more than I did as a parent of my own.
Obviously the safety of my daughter is paramount to me...but it doesn’t stop me questioning..having differing views etc.

I could ramble on ...but I’ll stop ...as can be seen by this thread views can get “heated” very quickly and for what benefit ....our occasional banter is worth more.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That isn’t true. Birth partners are allowed provided they do not have symptoms of coronavirus.

my midwife sister tells otherwise. while its not official NHS policy, its widespread hospital rule.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’ve said what I think about that actual comment because I think it ignores the importance of education and ignores how much they may of missed already and their own individual circumstances...having your wife in education you will know that not everything is rosey for each child ...with my daughter being a teacher I get to know a lot more than I did as a parent of my own.
Obviously the safety of my daughter is paramount to me...but it doesn’t stop me questioning..having differing views etc.

I could ramble on ...but I’ll stop ...as can be seen by this thread views can get “heated” very quickly and for what benefit ....our occasional banter is worth more.

I’ve seen this comment about the importance of education quite a bit. Usually from Gove or Williamson just before they do something like beginning legal proceedings against schools for having the temerity to do their own risk assessments. Teachers do not have to work in unsafe conditions just to provide a babysitting service during a pandemic.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I think it’s important to get the vulnerable vaccinated first, but now the Oxford one will be available shortly and far easily distributed, wouldn’t it be more wise to vaccinate teaching staff by moving them up the group stage. It might mean delaying some of the 70’s age groups, but would speed up educating the equally younger vulnerable groups.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve seen this comment about the importance of education quite a bit. Usually from Gove or Williamson just before they do something like beginning legal proceedings against schools for having the temerity to do their own risk assessments. Teachers do not have to work in unsafe conditions just to provide a babysitting service during a pandemic.

Oh right..ye course. ..whatever

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think it’s important to get the vulnerable vaccinated first, but now the Oxford one will be available shortly and far easily distributed, wouldn’t it be more wise to vaccinate teaching staff by moving them up the group stage. It might mean delaying some of the 70’s age groups, but would speed up educating the equally younger vulnerable groups.

That’s the main problem

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The way I read TBs comment was - missing a few weeks isn’t important.... saving lives is, the rest of TBs post makes very good sense.

I’m also worried at the moment as 4 close family members have just had Covid including my father in law being in hospital over Christmas. Also one family member being a teacher.
When Covid first hit last year I didn’t know of anyone personally that tested positive, there was no reports of any cases in schools ( where people I know work ) before they shut down last year, now I’m hearing about many cases in schools from people we know, not just hearsay or on the news.

Definitely don’t want to fall out as I enjoy a laugh with you.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
When you go to work do you make the environment Covid safe? When we have had tradesme / cleaners etc in, it’s been masks, only essential personnel in the same room etc.

That’s impossible in a school environment.

Not to put your job down, very important and key work. You make places safe to work in but you’re not a teacher so I can’t believe you’d know how you’d react in their situation.

Off topic - what’s the biggest rat you’ve terminated?

All rats are "as big as cats" if you listen to the customers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The way I read TBs comment was - missing a few weeks isn’t important.... saving lives is, the rest of TBs post makes very good sense.

I’m also worried at the moment as 4 close family members have just had Covid including my father in law being in hospital over Christmas. Also one family member being a teacher.
When Covid first hit last year I didn’t know of anyone personally that tested positive, there was no reports of any cases in schools ( where people I know work ) before they shut down last year, now I’m hearing about many cases in schools from people we know, not just hearsay or on the news.

Definitely don’t want to fall out as I enjoy a laugh with you.

...that is my focus

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just had confirmation of ours closing. Fair play to them for making such a tough choice. We'll muddle through as best we can.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Schools should not be open.

Totally the right decision to shut them down. Government reacting too slowly and ignoring the experts again. We need a proper national lockdown given the current gravity of the situation.

Now schools have got to get on with offering a decent online education, realistically for 2 months. It will feel a long time, but we'll be able to open for good after that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here