Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] All Brighton & Hove primary schools to switch to online learning from Monday ?

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Sage says shut schools, Gavin Williamson says stay open. Hmmmm who to believe ��

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Closing primary schools may not effect the rate of children catching Covid but it will definitely affect the number of adults who take their kids or grandkids to school and the adults who work in the schools who may catch Covid. It will have a demonstrable effect on the R number and could be the difference in the epidemic numbers falling to a more controllable level.

What if we told everybody to lock their doors and stay home until further notice? A month or two, say. Or maybe 3? That would also have a "demonstrable effect on the R number". Does that make it a good idea?

Where do you draw the line? I thought we had decided to prioritise children and their education. But perhaps not.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
It's a good job the supermarket workers, bus drivers, train drivers, doctors, nurses and food delivery drivers dont have the same attitude as you. Go to work (unless in a vulnerable group).

I work in construction and also have to visit sites, admittedly not every day, but 2/3 times a week. The difference however between the groups above and my role is that you are not in an environment with up to 2,500 people ( in the largest local schools) who are in the highest Covid cases. At least in retail, rail, medical and deliver roles you can mitigate the risk of catching Covid so that going to work is reasonably safe. The actual issue now is students passing Covid on in the home environment.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What you are failing to realise is that this 2 weeks closure (and it’s not a closure as has been explained) is to help stop people dying. Of course people don’t want schools to close for many children but it’s to save lives. To think you’re children have grown up listening to you’re aggressive, blame culture crap.

Good post. Not sure why some people have to lash out and blame someone for every decision that might not support their own circumstances or political views.

At the moment the council has made a recommendation/request to the DfE that emergency measures should be taken for primary schools in B&H. Seems perfectly reasonable given the dramatic increase in the spread of COVID.

This is serious stuff where parents, carers, workers and employers have to adapt and be flexible

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I work in construction and also have to visit sites, admittedly not every day, but 2/3 times a week. The difference however between the groups above and my role is that you are not in an environment with up to 2,500 people ( in the largest local schools) who are in the highest Covid cases. At least in retail, rail, medical and deliver roles you can mitigate the risk of catching Covid so that going to work is reasonably safe. The actual issue now is students passing Covid on in the home environment.

Fair point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is a foolish opinion but he was polite so we can give him that.

Is it polite to tell people what they must do when they are only qualified to kill mice & cockroaches?
He didn’t say I think you should go to work.

It was an order. Go to work!

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a good job the supermarket workers, bus drivers, train drivers, doctors, nurses and food delivery drivers dont have the same attitude as you. Go to work (unless in a vulnerable group).

Supermarket workers- masks and most customers wearing masks, checkout workers behind screens.
Bus drivers- Mask and behind screen, passengers should be wearing a mask, not so many people using buses as normally.
Train drivers- Are you seriously comparing these with teachers? Think about this one....
Nurses- All in PPE, I’m not going to disrespect any NHS staff, but they are paid to save lives. ( I’ve probably said the wrong thing here )
Delivery drivers- They are in a van on their own, can wear a mask and they ring a doorbell put a parcel on the doorstep and get back in the van.
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] knows what he’s talking about.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
What if we told everybody to lock their doors and stay home until further notice? A month or two, say. Or maybe 3? That would also have a "demonstrable effect on the R number". Does that make it a good idea?

Yes!

Tbh primary school children missing a few months of school is not going to effect their long term education, although I can see that it will cause problems for their parents if they both work.

Jimmy Grimble

That's fair enough. I did say in my original post that they should only go to work if not in a vulnerable group.

Genuine question to you and others of the same opinion.

Given the current COVID situation, would you be prepared to spend 5 days a week with 30 children in a classroom that isn’t fit for social distancing?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Children are well known for infection spreaders, as they pass on everything when they start at nursery or first school. All the ‘childhood’ diseases, plus tonsillitis, coughs, colds etc
When my two started school, they brought home every form of cold there was in circulation. I have an auto immune disease so was open to everything going.
Thankfully now they’re grown up with teenagers of their own now.

Missing a few weeks of education won’t do them any harm.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Yes!

Tbh primary school children missing a few months of school is not going to effect their long term education, although I can see that it will cause problems for their parents if they both work.

And what about Secondary School pupils?

When will the Unions judge it safe for schools to restart? And under what criteria?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here