[Albion] Albion players on international duty - October 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
3-1 to Germany now, Gross subbed off to huge praise from the German commentators for his efforts - after the usual praise for his assuredness on the ball and Brighton’s spectacular style of play. Man are we famous now! Blows my mind.

Jimmy Grimble

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’m not sure I follow your question?

1. why do I think that the squad is mostly Europe based players?

Because it is 🤷‍♂️ https://www.socceroos.com.au/news/subway-socceroos-squad-named-historic-october-fixtures

3 from the A-league, 1 from Japan, 1 from Saudi, the rest from Europe

or, 2. Why do I think most of them do play for European club?

money, prestige, career opportunities 🤷‍♂️
Or maybe they are playing in Europe because they're better than the A League.

I wasn't sure why you were highlighting the fact they are mainly European based as if it had some relevance to their quality.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or maybe they are playing in Europe because they're better than the A League.

I wasn't sure why you were highlighting the fact they are mainly European based as if it had some relevance to their quality.
I think you missed the context of the discussion. I was pointing out that England were effectively playing against a European based squad, because somebody else was questioning the air miles / travel involved in these International friendlies :jester:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you missed the context of the discussion. I was pointing out that England were effectively playing against a European based squad, because somebody else was questioning the air miles / travel involved in these International friendlies :jester:
I see your point about mileage but I took the post I think you're referring to was just pointing that England were also playing a friendly rather than a competitive match. Either way, sorted.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
From what I can work out, England only need to draw with Italy and they are through. Would be good if Dunk was a part of that.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Spain goal (that involved Ansu Fati) disallowed after ref went to to the screen (isn't VAR supposed to make offside decisions?). After this and the VAR confusion over Scotland's goal against Spain, I don't understand what VAR is doing any more.

Can anyone explain why the goal was disallowed?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spain goal (that involved Ansu Fati) disallowed after ref went to to the screen (isn't VAR supposed to make offside decisions?). After this and the VAR confusion over Scotland's goal against Spain, I don't understand what VAR is doing any more.

Can anyone explain why the goal was disallowed?
The VAR makes offside calls on its own - if it is just a case of deciding if somebody is in an offside position. If somebody is in an offside position, but it is debatable whether or not he is interfering with play, then the VAR would refer that decision to the on field referee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports