Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion players on international duty - October 2023

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The October international break comes to a close on Tuesday. Potential Albion activity includes:

Lewis Dunk is in the England squad as the Three Lions host Italy at Wembley Stadium in a EURO 2024 Group C qualifier.

Simon Adingra and the Ivory Coast are at home to South Africa in a friendly.

Billy Gilmour and Scotland play a friendly against France in Lille.

Pascal Gross re-acquaints himself with Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia as Germany take on Mexico in a friendly.

Yasin Ayari is in the Sweden U-21 squad who travel to Georgia for a UEFA 2025 U-21 European Championship Group C qualifier.

James Beadle is with the England U-20 squad who host Portugal at Stadium MK in a European Elite League fixture.

Jack Hinshelwood and the England U-19s face Austria in their crucial UEFA 2024 U-19 European Championship qualifying round Group 12 fixture.
Dunky has to start, has been our best player in his two starts since returning to the England team. You just know he won’t though. Bloody Maguire will play.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Dunky has to start, has been our best player in his two starts since returning to the England team. You just know he won’t though. Bloody Maguire will play.
I would be absolutely delighted if he doesn't start and doesn't come on as a sub.

It wasn't even a month ago that he had to miss out on one of the most historic matches in Albion's history as he continues to struggle with injury issues. With my Albion-supporting hat on, a week's rest before the Man City game would be great.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would be absolutely delighted if he doesn't start and doesn't come on as a sub.

It wasn't even a month ago that he had to miss out on one of the most historic matches in Albion's history as he continues to struggle with injury issues. With my Albion-supporting hat on, a week's rest before the Man City game would be great.
I absolutely get that and with my own blue-and-white hat on, I completely agree.

However, with my Lewis Dunk cheerleader pom-poms in hand, I would like him to get as many England caps as possible and I think I'm right in saying all of his appearances to date have been in friendlies. Getting a full competitive game under his belt would be a great achievement.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I absolutely get that and with my own blue-and-white hat on, I completely agree.

However, with my Lewis Dunk cheerleader pom-poms in hand, I would like him to get as many England caps as possible and I think I'm right in saying all of his appearances to date have been in friendlies. Getting a full competitive game under his belt would be a great achievement.
I'm happy for that to wait until next June, in Germany.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Pascal Gross re-acquaints himself with Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia as Germany take on Mexico in a friendly.
Why are Germany playing Mexico in Philadelphia? Assuming he's not getting on a plane back til Wednesday and that his body clock will be all over the place from jet lag I think we can assume he's not gonna be fit to play vs City.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The Monday summary:

Bart Verbruggen played the whole match as the Netherlands beat Greece 1-0 in their EURO 2024 qualifier.

Evan Ferguson started for the ROI, scored after 8 minutes and was subbed off on 66 minutes as the Irish beat Gibraltar 4-0 in their EURO 2024 qualifier.

Abdallah Sima was an unused substitute as Senegal beat Cameroon 1-0 in their friendly in France.

Ruairi McConville was an unused substitute as the Northern Ireland U-21s lost 2-1 at home to Serbia in their European Championship qualifier.
First clean-sheet of the season for Bart Verbruggen. Hopefully more to follow.

As he now appears to be Holland's number 1, De Zerbi might be tempted to stick with him in the majority of games from now on. Especially for the Premier League fixtures. Steele can continue to be the cups keeper.

Gus Poyet red carded towards the end of tonight's match in Greece. Arguing with the referee.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Why are Germany playing Mexico in Philadelphia? Assuming he's not getting on a plane back til Wednesday and that his body clock will be all over the place from jet lag I think we can assume he's not gonna be fit to play vs City.
Presumably, because Germany qualify as hosts for EURO 2024 and therefore don't have any qualification matches in the lead-up to it, and Mexico are one of the hosts of the 2026 World Cup and therefore don't have any World Cup qualifiers in the lead up to it. On that level it makes sense that those teams would arrange friendlies against each other.

The time difference between the east coast of the US and England is five hours, it isn't THAT bad.

Dec 29, 2011
Presumably, because Germany qualify as hosts for EURO 2024 and therefore don't have any qualification matches in the lead-up to it, and Mexico are one of the hosts of the 2026 World Cup and therefore don't have any World Cup qualifiers in the lead up to it. On that level it makes sense that those teams would arrange friendlies against each other.

The time difference between the east coast of the US and England is five hours, it isn't THAT bad.
I think the question was more to do with the location being outside of either country participating in the fixture.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think the question was more to do with the location being outside of either country participating in the fixture.
International friendlies being played at neutral venues happens at EVERY international break, for various reasons. Abdallah Sima's Senegal played Cameroon in France today as well.

It is far better for us that the Germany-Mexico match WAS played in the US, rather than in Mexico City, for instance (from both a distance and altitude perspective).

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
International friendlies being played at neutral venues happens at EVERY international break, for various reasons. Abdallah Sima's Senegal played Cameroon in France today as well.

It is far better for us that the Germany-Mexico match WAS played in the US, rather than in Mexico City, for instance (from both a distance and altitude perspective).
Wouldn’t happen in Germany…

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

They’re really unhappy about it in Germany though. The clubs and fans have complained bitterly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’ll be a very difficult (impossible for me) watch if Southgate drops the MotM from the last game for someone profoundly out of form. It’s seems such a ludicrous decision but I really can’t fault your logic.

Jimmy Grimble

If there’s one player in our squad who is already fully versed in De Zerbi ball and could get away with missing a few training sessions, as well as having the best stamina levels in the squad, it’s Pascal Gross.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Ferguson scores!

...and looks mildly pissed off about it.

Stephen Kenny is an idiot - his tactics have seen Ferguson being a periphery figure in the last two games. The best player in your squad and you make zero effort to get him the ball. I doubt if he touched the ball ten times yesterday evening - and he was ending up in his own half looking for the ball. I saw one comment that Ferguson will have to play CB to get the ball in Kenny's 'system'.

He was clearly very frustrated with whatever is going on behind the scenes - fortunately he will not have to put up with Kenny for much longer.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Jack Hinshelwood has started the critical England U-19 qualifier today against Austria (having played the whole of the previous two qualifiers). It is currently 0-0, with Montenegro leading Wales 2-0 (towards the end of the first half). Assuming Wales lose, England would need to win in order to progress to the Elite Round next March.

In Georgia, Yasin Ayari started and is still on the pitch for the Swedish U-21s with 83 minutes gone (still 0-0).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here