Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion players on international duty - October 2023

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can someone help me here ? The BBC are saying England qualify if they beat Italy. I reckon they only need a draw.

If they draw, they will be 3 points ahead of Italy and 4 ahead of Ukraine with all three sides having a maximum of 6 points to play for.

However, Ukraine play Italy so one or both have to drop points.

Italy win- Ukraine cannot catch England.
Ukraine win- Italy can at best draw level with England but are below on head to head.
Draw- Italy can go above England, Ukraine can at best draw level with England but are below on head to head.
North Macedonia wouldn't be able to catch England.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can someone help me here ? The BBC are saying England qualify if they beat Italy. I reckon they only need a draw.

If they draw, they will be 3 points ahead of Italy and 4 ahead of Ukraine with all three sides having a maximum of 6 points to play for.

However, Ukraine play Italy so one or both have to drop points.

Italy win- Ukraine cannot catch England.
Ukraine win- Italy can at best draw level with England but are below on head to head.
Draw- Italy can go above England, Ukraine can at best draw level with England but are below on head to head.
North Macedonia wouldn't be able to catch England.
UEFA view :

Group C

Matchday 8 fixtures (Tuesday 17 October)
England vs Italy, Malta vs Ukraine

England will qualify if they beat Italy, or if they draw and Ukraine do not beat Malta.

Italy and Ukraine cannot qualify or be eliminated from top-two contention on Matchday 8.

North Macedonia will be unable to finish in the top two if Ukraine win and Italy do not win.

Malta cannot finish in the top two.

Further explanation:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And which player might that have applied to?
I've no idea -I haven't even seen the gaol you're talking about - I was merely answering the question of 'why is the referee going to the screen, when VAR is supposed to make the offside calls'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
UEFA view :

Group C

Matchday 8 fixtures (Tuesday 17 October)
England vs Italy, Malta vs Ukraine

England will qualify if they beat Italy, or if they draw and Ukraine do not beat Malta.

Italy and Ukraine cannot qualify or be eliminated from top-two contention on Matchday 8.

North Macedonia will be unable to finish in the top two if Ukraine win and Italy do not win.

Malta cannot finish in the top two.

Further explanation:

I'm going to stick me neck out. I think whoever wrote that for UEFA got it wrong.

Here is the key point:

Screenshot 2023-10-16 104503.png

So England draw with Italy. Let us assume that- aside of the upcoming Ukraine v Italy match (which completes the matches between those three teams) England gain no points their matches against Malta and North Macedonia, but both Italy and Ukraine win theirs. This is an indicator as to whether a draw tomorrow would have been enough.

If Italy beat Ukraine the group ends as follows:

Italy 17
England 14
Ukraine 13
North Macedonia 10
Malta 0

If the match is drawn, the group ends as follows:

Italy 15
England 14
Ukraine 14
North Macedonia 10
Malta 0

If Ukraine win

Ukraine 16
England 14
Italy 14
North Macedonia 10
Malta 0

In the event of a tie on points, the highest number of points played between the teams in question is the first criteria of separation. England are in the positive with both Italy and Ukraine in that event 4-1 on both occasions. Thus England qualify.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The weekend summary:-

Pascal Gross started for Germany and played 71 minutes as they beat the US 3-1 in a friendly.

Ansu Fati played the first half as Spain beat Norway 1-0 in a UEFA EURO 2024 qualifier.

Simon Adingra came on as a sub after 66 minutes as the Ivory Coast drew 1-1 at home to Morocco in a friendly.

Jack Hinshelwood played the whole match for the England U-19 side as they drew 1-1 with Wales in their second U-19 European Championship qualifying round group 12 fixture in Montenegro. A win over Austria in the third and final group match tomorrow will see England advance to the Elite Round next year.

Mark O'Mahony came on as a sub after 79 minutes as the ROI U-19 side beat the Faroe Islands 3-0 in a friendly at the Pinatar Arena in Spain.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Monday's action on the Albion international front:-

Bart Verbruggen will be hoping to earn his second cap as the Netherlands travel to Gus Poyet's Greece for a EURO 2024 group B qualifier.

Evan Ferguson and the Republic of Ireland will be hoping they don't get humiliated in Portugal as they face Gibraltar in a EURO 2024 group B qualifier (the match is being played at an alternative venue while Gibraltar's Victoria Stadium is being redeveloped) .

Abdallah Sima is in the Senegal squad who face Cameroon in a friendly in Lens, France.

Ruairi McConville, who was initially on standby, has been called into the Northern Ireland U-21 squad who host Serbia in a UEFA U-21 European Championship group F qualifier.

**James Beadle was originally called up to the England U-21 squad who face Ukraine in a qualifier in Slovakia today. However, he didn't travel and instead will join the England U-20 squad for their European Elite League fixture against Portugal at Stadium MK tomorrow.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Bart Verbruggen starts for the Netherlands, as does Evan Ferguson for the Irish.

Abdallah Sima is on the bench for Senegal and so is Ruairi McConville for the Northern Ireland U-21s.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bart Verbruggen starts for the Netherlands, as does Evan Ferguson for the Irish.

Abdallah Sima is on the bench for Senegal and so is Ruairi McConville for the Northern Ireland U-21s.
Watching the holly game. Playing at aek stadium which is only a year old!! Pitch looks abysmal.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I know he doesn’t play for us anymore but Gyokeres has scored a brilliant goal for Sweden against Belgium.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The Monday summary:

Bart Verbruggen played the whole match as the Netherlands beat Greece 1-0 in their EURO 2024 qualifier.

Evan Ferguson started for the ROI, scored after 8 minutes and was subbed off on 66 minutes as the Irish beat Gibraltar 4-0 in their EURO 2024 qualifier.

Abdallah Sima was an unused substitute as Senegal beat Cameroon 1-0 in their friendly in France.

Ruairi McConville was an unused substitute as the Northern Ireland U-21s lost 2-1 at home to Serbia in their European Championship qualifier.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The October international break comes to a close on Tuesday. Potential Albion activity includes:

Lewis Dunk is in the England squad as the Three Lions host Italy at Wembley Stadium in a EURO 2024 Group C qualifier.

Simon Adingra and the Ivory Coast are at home to South Africa in a friendly.

Billy Gilmour and Scotland play a friendly against France in Lille.

Pascal Gross re-acquaints himself with Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia as Germany take on Mexico in a friendly.

Yasin Ayari is in the Sweden U-21 squad who travel to Georgia for a UEFA 2025 U-21 European Championship Group C qualifier.

James Beadle is with the England U-20 squad who host Portugal at Stadium MK in a European Elite League fixture.

Jack Hinshelwood and the England U-19s face Austria in their crucial UEFA 2024 U-19 European Championship qualifying round Group 12 fixture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here