Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After 29 games last year!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Even if I don't want to? I find debates with you pretty much the most mind-numbing experience going.

So I'll pass. But thanks for your polite request.

Nicely avoided. No answer, so I'll assume you agree.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nicely avoided. No answer, so I'll assume you agree.

You normally assume so that would be pretty standard.

As a point I've not even read your question, I just saw the word Gus and expletives so knew it would be quotable and easy to mock.
I'm sure you were completely right though. Well done you. X

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oscar has already proved he is a decent manager, to be in the hunt of the play-offs with our injuries and budgetary issues is commendable.

Would any other manager have us higher in the table, given the hand we've been dealt post-Gus? I doubt it.

Realistically, there's only one spot up for grabs, and it's encouraging Reading didn't strengthen in the transfer window. I agree with Tooting, the play-off contenders are stronger this season and it will take 2 points per match from here on in to make the Top 6. Whether we do that or not will depend on whether Oscar can squeeze more goals out of the line-up - that'll be the big test of his managerial abilities.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As a point I've not even read your question, I just saw the word Gus and expletives so knew it would be quotable and easy to mock.
Oh put some effort in riskit, I've just opened a packet of T-Bone steak flavoured Roysters, (this was never going to be a Pringles moment).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, you have failed to contribute anything meaningful again. Still, keep trying. I've got every confidence you'll get there eventually.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have to win the majority of our home games now for a successful season.

Defeats against any of Wigan, Reading, and Ipswich would be dire - if we win these though, the table really will start to look better, and perhaps the time to assess how good our season will be is once these 3 ( and the away v Blackburn ) have been played.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol: I genuinely can't do it anymore. He's beaten me with his intellect and hard facts.

Pathetic.

Here's my question with expletive deleted:
"So you think Gus would have kept his H U G E gob quiet and not moaned incessantly about this season's injuries / lack of budget if he had stayed!?"

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated. Please and thank you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's a gauge of where we are. Funnily enough, despite you saying all that, the points required for the Play off spots remain remarkably consistent over the years, typically 72 pts ±4 pts.

Interestingly, in comparing last season to this, 6th place are both on 47 points, 5th both on 51 points, 4th both on 52 pts. You can't avoid comparing a previous season to the last, the parallels between this season and last are already really striking. I think it does show how well we're doing.

In terms of your final comment about imagining what happens when we finally get going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Rohan after Saturdays game, and he left me with this "I think we are on the verge of something very special for the rest of the season". I absolutely believe him as well!

Ince is getting better and better with every game. It's been delightful watching him this year. I'd just like him to go on a few more of those storming runs.
I like what you say here, but on a similar thread a week or two back, someone made the astute point that the real thing to look out for is not points total for sixth place but, rather, the total for seventh place. That's what we need to beat or, at the very least, have a better goal difference.
Given the depth of the competition this year, it looks likely that it'll be slightly lower than average.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Pathetic.

Here's my question with expletive deleted:
"So you think Gus would have kept his H U G E gob quiet and not moaned incessantly about this season's injuries / lack of budget if he had stayed!?"

Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated. Please and thank you.

Why are you asking me a question on topic I've not even commented on?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was a little disappointed by how direct we were at times on Saturday and we have yet to experience one of those games where everything clicks and we look simply unplayable, which happened a few times under Poyet (admittedly, alongside some low-scoring and frustrating draws). A few games have been a bit boring to be honest this season.

But I am more than happy with where we are. Seeing Ince and hopefully March becoming regulars has been a highlight.

The only slight concern I have about Oscar is the same one I had about Poyet - that of tactical inflexibility. Reading some interviews Oscar seems as determined as Poyet to set his side up to play one way and fairly dismissive of changing the team's approach depending on the position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In terms of your final comment about imagining what happens when we finally get going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Rohan after Saturdays game, and he left me with this "I think we are on the verge of something very special for the rest of the season". I absolutely believe him as well!
Hey Bold did you or he mention the moment early on when Rohan carelessly gave the ball away?

The head down banzi charge after the fella, who decided he was better off kicking the ball out than dealing with an angry Rohan, was the stuff of legend.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was a little disappointed by how direct we were at times on Saturday and we have yet to experience one of those games where everything clicks and we look simply unplayable, which happened a few times under Poyet (admittedly, alongside some low-scoring and frustrating draws). A few games have been a bit boring to be honest this season.

But I am more than happy with where we are. Seeing Ince and hopefully March becoming regulars has been a highlight.

The only slight concern I have about Oscar is the same one I had about Poyet - that of tactical inflexibility. Reading some interviews Oscar seems as determined as Poyet to set his side up to play one way and fairly dismissive of changing the team's approach depending on the position.

I thought we've clicked against Blackburn and Leicester at home this season.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought we've clicked against Blackburn and Leicester at home this season.

Both were pretty good performances. Not saying we haven't played well. Just no stand-out games that stick in the memory (yet) compared to some of our unplayable best in recent season.

That isn't to say they won't come later this season.

Aug 23, 2011
So you think Gus would have kept his H U G E ****ing gob quiet and not moaned incessantly about this season's injuries / lack of budget if he had stayed!? Yeah right.

When managers go on in the press about this or that, it is purely to do with taking the pressure off the team. A lot of mangers do it yet still people listen and still don't seem to be able to see through it. Journos love it because it gives them good copy and it gives fans something to whine about. How often do you see opposition managers say crazy things after the game? Look at mourinho constantly writing off his teams chances in the press to alleviate pressure of chelsea and put it onto man city.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
- Away record is better
- Our record against the top teams (especially at home) is better.
- It's our home record against the lesser lights that's killing us. 6 points chucked away against Sheffield Wednesday & Barnsley are going to be very important come the end of the season I think.

It's a shame because it was the same story against the lesser lights under Gus, though he just about seemed to have worked it out at the tail end of last season.

Overall, I'm happy with our manager though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
When managers go on in the press about this or that, it is purely to do with taking the pressure off the team. A lot of mangers do it yet still people listen and still don't seem to be able to see through it. Journos love it because it gives them good copy and it gives fans something to whine about. How often do you see opposition managers say crazy things after the game? Look at mourinho constantly writing off his teams chances in the press to alleviate pressure of chelsea and put it onto man city.

No no no no no. First Rule. Don't answer BW's question with a logical response that isn't Anti Gus.

He will NOT like that.

He will now have to tell us all how we're blind and Gus disrespted us and Tony. You've really done it now.

Aug 23, 2011
No no no no no. First Rule. Don't answer BW's question with a logical response that isn't Anti Gus.

He will NOT like that.

He will now have to tell us all how we're blind and Gus disrespted us and Tony. You've really done it now.

I know, i was bored and i'm the sort of person who sees a big red button and just has to press it :) He's probably already labelled me as a Gus lover.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's a gauge of where we are. Funnily enough, despite you saying all that, the points required for the Play off spots remain remarkably consistent over the years, typically 72 pts ±4 pts.

Interestingly, in comparing last season to this, 6th place are both on 47 points, 5th both on 51 points, 4th both on 52 pts. You can't avoid comparing a previous season to the last, the parallels between this season and last are already really striking. I think it does show how well we're doing.
And because of those facts, points comparisons are useful for gauging what you need to do to finish in the top 6 etc. But it's not the best way to see how the manager is doing, because it doesn't take into account what players we have, what injuries we've had, and the quality of the opposition (all compared to last year). The 3 teams that came down last year (QPR, Reading, Wigan) are better than the ones that came down the year before (Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves). I believe it's a tougher division this year.

I was fortunate enough to speak to Rohan after Saturdays game, and he left me with this "I think we are on the verge of something very special for the rest of the season". I absolutely believe him as well!
Nice to hear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here