Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

After 29 games last year!

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
It's also interesting to look at this time in the 11/12 campaign. We were on 45 points, 2 off the play offs. We all know what happened that year. I suppose it further highlights the importance of finishing the season strongly. This year will be even tougher as there are effectively 5/6 teams competing for one place. We have to stay in that pack as long as possible because teams will start fading away. The most important thing is that we give ourselves a reasonable chance with 6/7 games to go, by that point I imagine it'll realistically be 1 from 3 for the last play off place. The last thing we want is the season ending as a damp squib.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I genuinely can't STAND the "at this point last year we had x amount of points" comparisons. They aren't even close to a realistic comparison.

6 teams of the 24 have changed. Thats 1/4 of the teams. All the squads have altered. Different managers are in. The games aren't all replicated in the same order, We have altered etc etc etc. There is no compariable data (geek alert). Glad I got that off my chest :lolol:

That's not to slag off Oscar in any way. It's a seperate rant. I would be saying the same if we were bottom or top. He has worked a minor miracle considering the state he was handed in the summer and the players brought in for him. It's crazy becasue we certainly aren't playing well but we're getting the results. Just imagine what may happen once we actually get going.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol: Here we go again.

So you think Gus would have kept his H U G E ****ing gob quiet and not moaned incessantly about this season's injuries / lack of budget if he had stayed!? Yeah right.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's done a fantastic job considering how much weaker our squad is and the injuries we've been plagued with all season.

However our form in the final third of last season was extraordinary, there is no way we will be able to match it or even come close.

Yes. Let's chuck the towel in.

I hope there is more spirit within the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh god I'm confused. Do we want Oscar out, or Oscar in? If I see him do I boo or cheer?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh god I'm confused. Do we want Oscar out, or Oscar in? If I see him do I boo or cheer?

In. Cheer. OR...

... join the Gus FC fan club. Its Black Cats Brighton branch has a H U G E membership.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I genuinely can't STAND the "at this point last year we had x amount of points" comparisons. They aren't even close to a realistic comparison.

6 teams of the 24 have changed. Thats 1/4 of the teams. All the squads have altered. Different managers are in. The games aren't all replicated in the same order, We have altered etc etc etc. There is no compariable data (geek alert). Glad I got that off my chest :lolol:

That's not to slag off Oscar in any way. It's a seperate rant. I would be saying the same if we were bottom or top. He has worked a minor miracle considering the state he was handed in the summer and the players brought in for him. It's crazy becasue we certainly aren't playing well but we're getting the results. Just imagine what may happen once we actually get going.

It's a gauge of where we are. Funnily enough, despite you saying all that, the points required for the Play off spots remain remarkably consistent over the years, typically 72 pts ±4 pts.

Interestingly, in comparing last season to this, 6th place are both on 47 points, 5th both on 51 points, 4th both on 52 pts. You can't avoid comparing a previous season to the last, the parallels between this season and last are already really striking. I think it does show how well we're doing.

In terms of your final comment about imagining what happens when we finally get going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Rohan after Saturdays game, and he left me with this "I think we are on the verge of something very special for the rest of the season". I absolutely believe him as well!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I
In terms of your final comment about imagining what happens when we finally get going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Rohan after Saturdays game, and he left me with this "I think we are on the verge of something very special for the rest of the season". I absolutely believe him as well!

Loving the attitude from the big man there. Tuesday night offers them the opportunity to show us what he means.

FWIW after 29games THIS season I think we have done pretty well so far.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Surely the point being made by the OP is about the here and now? Not what happened by the end of the season.

After 29 games last year, Poyet's team that he had worked with for years, had no major injury concerns and were well used to playing his system, achieved less than Oscar's current team.

Oscar, who did not have a full pre-season, has had no shortage of injuries, has had the previous double winning player of the year down tools (and been injured anyway), has given licence for players like Ince, JFC and March more playing time, who has never played or managed in England, whose ideas and style of play will not have been fully implemented because of the constant chopping and changing of personnel due to injuries!

It's not about whether he gets the same points as last year is it? I believe he will prove to be a better manager than Poyet given time but he has only been here 6.5 months!

Taking all the off field issues into account as well, anyone who honestly believes Oscar is not doing a good job really is not being realistic at all IMHO.

Correct.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oscar's done well in the circumstances, not only picking up the pieces of a real mess post-Poyet but coping with horrendous injuries to key players.

But the OP's main point is presumably to highlight the possibility of a real run like last year into the play-offs. Quite simply, the teams above (and below) are better. So that will be harder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here